Mockup Blitz: The Orealeant! - WINNER ANNOUNCED!

Started by Fyntax, Wed 09/01/2008 21:58:25

Previous topic - Next topic

Fyntax

For those of you who are unfamiliar with the mockup blitz it's described by some as follows:
(some parts may or may not have been altered by me, but that's unimportant right now.)

"Your objective [if you choose to accept it] is to create an adventure game mockup. This means that you must create a scene exactly as it would look as if you were playing a game. You must design the interface, the main character (if 3rd person view) or any other characters, and the background."

[This message will self destruct in four seconds]

*You are to show us a screenshot of a game sporting atleast one Orealeant (visible on the screen).
It (the Orealeant), must have a integral part of the plot but it's optional to have it as the main character.

*What exactly an Orealeant is, will be up for you to decide, it's colour, shape, powers (if any), will be up for your imagination.

*The plot and goal of the game should preferably be somewhat apperant from the screenshot, and it must be geared towards the nature of the thing that you've created.

*If you would decide that it is the main character, the GUI should obiously have functions as to how one would opperate, if it doesn't have any legs it should obiously not have a "walk" button and so fourth.

*No size or color restrictions.

*An Orealeant is not invisible, nor is it background-colored, or so fast that it's impossible to catch one on the screen.

*I have a blistering headache

GO!

Akatosh

Cascade Failure, or: To Catch An Oreleant

You play as XAN, the Security AI of good old science vessel Von Grun (just as in the ill-fated and shortlived original Cascade Failure which still lurks on my harddrive, waiting to be finished some day...). Everything goes well, until your data gathering algorithms spot that one of your crew members is obviously an Oreleant and therefore has to be terminated. Since nobody seems to be sure of what that is, things could get... interesting.

Ah, well. There's always the termination option.

[A little rushed, sorry, but this topic looked so empty and sad...)

Fyntax

Quote from: Akatosh on Wed 16/01/2008 16:11:14
Cascade Failure, or: To Catch An Oreleant

You play as XAN, the Security AI of good old science vessel Von Grun (just as in the ill-fated and shortlived original Cascade Failure which still lurks on my harddrive, waiting to be finished some day...). Everything goes well, until your data gathering algorithms spot that one of your crew members is obviously an Oreleant and therefore has to be terminated. Since nobody seems to be sure of what that is, things could get... interesting.

Ah, well. There's always the termination option.

[A little rushed, sorry, but this topic looked so empty and sad...)

Well thank you.. :)

Let's see if we get any other entries before tomorow.

Edited by mod: Removed quoted image.

joelphilippage

Here is my entry. The guy is a college student at Wichita State University who discovers the Orealeant which is a train outside of our universe. His friend is a creature from a different universe who showed him the way out. I got my Idea for this mostly from loom when he goes outside the pattern. Maybe a bit from the Magicians Nephew. The button on the Gui lets you leave the universe your in to get to the Orealeant.

Galen

Akatosh

I'd like to vote for joelphilippage... because he probably put real actual work in there, unlike me, and it's only fair that way.  ;)

Also, it's probably time to bring back the Background Blitz.  :P

Snarky

Quote from: joelphilippage on Thu 17/01/2008 02:55:00
I got my Idea for this mostly from loom when he goes outside the pattern. Maybe a bit from the Magicians Nephew.

Not from this? (Not an accusation, just wondering.)

joelphilippage

Actually I realized that after I got halfway through. Sorry that it looks so similar.

Evil

Quote from: joelphilippage on Sun 27/01/2008 19:48:41
Actually I realized that after I got halfway through. Sorry that it looks so similar.

Actually, I think they're not that similar. Sure it's space and there's a path, but yours is much more detailed than that. The railed car or train, the different platforms, the depth. There's way more story in your image, I can tell how the game would feel and play like.

Sorry, Akatosh, but I vote for JoelPhilipPage. Great work!

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

magichuck

one more vote for Joel, although I think Aktosh had some good ideas for where the story is going.

ildu

I vote Joel, as well. It's a really nice bg. As for the similarity to the Blackwell games, I'll just mention that this whole portal-standing-on-a-platform-overlooking-emptyness-doorway thing has been a cliché for far longer.

PixelPerfect

Quote from: Fyntax on Wed 09/01/2008 21:58:25
*You are to show us a screenshot of a game sporting atleast one Orealeant (visible on the screen).

*An Orealeant is not invisible, nor is it background-colored, or so fast that it's impossible to catch one on the screen.

Actually Joel doesn't have an Orealeant in the picture contrary to the rules (if you want to be picky  ;)) so that's why I'm giving a vote to Akatosh.

Seriously though Joel's background is more visually appealing, but I would definitely want to play Akatosh's game more. Good job the both o'yas!  8)

Fyntax

So it seems like Joel (even though he clearly cheated ;D) is a clear winner!

congrats, and feel free to make a new mockup themed compitition!

Galen

Akatosh's Orealeant is also not visible, in a sense.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk