AGS 3.0 is now released!

Started by Pumaman, Sat 26/01/2008 12:14:04

Previous topic - Next topic

Pumaman

Hmm, I have a suspicion at what might have caused it, so I'll put a fix into the next version to hopefully prevent it from happening again. However, this particular crash shouldn't have caused any damage to your game.

Sektor 13

Hey

I have 3 problems:

1. Using a sprite with alpha channel for inventory item still doesn't work as it should (in PNG), i can se picture background.

2. Even if you work at 640x480, gui controls are still for 320x240 (you must devide by 2, to get correct coordinates)

3. How can i use special ČŠĆ and other letters, even if i import TTF font (like ARIAL with central europe support - default in windows) it shows incorrect letters.

Thanks

SSH

Quote from: Sektor 13 on Sat 09/02/2008 15:07:05
2. Even if you work at 640x480, gui controls are still for 320x240 (you must devide by 2, to get correct coordinates)

That's how its always been...

Sektor 13

Yes i know, but i hoped that would be different in 3.0 :'(

Pumaman

1. Using a sprite with alpha channel for inventory item still doesn't work as it should (in PNG), i can se picture background.

What do you mean by this? Is the problem in the inventory window, or when the item is being used as the mouse cursor?

Quote3. How can i use special ČÅ Â Ć and other letters, even if i import TTF font (like ARIAL with central europe support - default in windows) it shows incorrect letters.

Can you elaborate on this? If the TTF font has the same character set as you're running Windows with, then the letters should match.

Sektor 13

Quote from: Pumaman on Sun 10/02/2008 18:51:37

What do you mean by this? Is the problem in the inventory window, or when the item is being used as the mouse cursor?

Quote3. How can i use special ČŠĆ and other letters, even if i import TTF font (like ARIAL with central europe support - default in windows) it shows incorrect letters.

Can you elaborate on this? If the TTF font has the same character set as you're running Windows with, then the letters should match.

1. I can see a background in inventory window. The strangest part is that i edited an bigger image and cut the wanted part (without the background) to a new image and than save it as PNG with a transparent background.
So the new image couldn't even have any background at all, but it shows background from first, original image :S .

2. If I import ARIAL font, AGS shows me normal characters (!,?,ABC,123...¨(10by10 grid)) (exactly the same as in original fonts), they look like ARIAL but no special fonts are visible (like ČŠŽ) that goes for CE.

If i work in WORD you can select text and than below you can select a region like ARABIC, CENTRAL EUROPE ..., you can't do that in AGS. !?

Am i missing something ?

Pumaman

1. I'm not really sure what you mean, can you post a screenshot?

2. The preview in the Fonts pane of the editor always just shows the basic 0-9 A-Z letters, but if your TTF font has 256 characters then you should be able to use them in the game.
In other words, you should be able to type characters like these:  áéíôñù  into your scripts / messages, and they should display correctly.
What exactly is going wrong?

Sektor 13

1. i will try to add it some day

2. Slovenina language uses ŠČŽ letters, so if i used them in my game, none of them are displayed correctly!
I get "square" instead of Č Š or Ž(aka no font) if i used them.

Gilbert

2. Are you sure these characters' code are within the 256 range in the font? If not they can't be displayed.

Sektor 13

IS there any possible way to find that out ?

SSH

If its a unicode font, they will NOT be, it its ISO-8859-2, they will be, I think..

http://friends.s5.net/mazzini/tabela04.html

The fonts here worked for me: ftp://ftp.arnes.si/software/Latin-2-fonts/latin2.zip

Elessar

I made a game in AGS 2.72 which had a portrait loop of 24 sprites, so it used loops 0 & 1 of the view. However, if I had the character say a decent sized sentence, the whole animation cycled through, and the blue cup showed up before repeating the loop. Running only loop 0 made the problem disappear, so I imported it into 3.0 where there is no limit on the number of frames in a loop.

Before changing the loop, I decided to run the program as is to see the results, and AGS 3.0 gave the following error when the cup usually showed up:

Code: ags
---------------------------
Illegal exception
An exception 0xC0000005 occurred in ACWIN.EXE at EIP = 0x004FAC13 ; program pointer is +24, ACI version 3.00.1000, gtags (22,70)

AGS cannot continue, this exception was fatal. Please note down the numbers above, remember what you were doing at the time and notify CJ on the Tech forum.

Most versions of Windows allow you to press Ctrl+C now to copy this entire message to the clipboard for easy reporting.

An error file CrashInfo.dmp has been created. You may be asked to upload this file when reporting this problem on the AGS Forums. (code 0)
OK   

Putting all the sprites into one loop in AGS 3.0 eliminated the problem, but I thought that I should post the error anyway.

Pumaman

Are you using sierra-style speech, and do you have a blinking view for that character? If so I think I've identified the cause of the problem, and will get it fixed.

Vince Twelve

I've just taken my main WiP into 3.0 for the first time (Ivy's new game was my test subject :P ) and everything seems to be working fine except for one instance where I'm using a sprite (actually a series of sprites in an improvised animation by incrementing the gui background graphic in the repeatedly execute script) with alpha channel (imported from a .png) as the background image on a gui.  The transparency doesn't work correctly, and instead, I just see a big white blob where there should be semi-transparency.  Running the same game (I hadn't modified the code at all) compiled through 2.7 shows the gui with proper transparency.

I tried reimporting the sprites and the problem was still there.  So, I tried displaying the sprites on a different gui and they worked perfectly.  But on the original gui, they still don't show correctly for some reason.  The gui's transparency is never messed with, so I can't understand what would cause this.  Especially since it worked fine in 2.7.

I also tested it in 3.0.1 just in case, and it was the same as 3.0.  Also, I'm only testing this in Direct Draw 5 because my computer apparently doesn't support Direct 3D at these resolutions for some reason.

Is there a reason that the transparency for these sprites would suddenly stop working on certain GUIs, but not on others?

Vince Twelve

Not to bump, but I've got a separate issue.  When importing some sprites from animated gifs, I found something very strange happening.

Progz believes that having the last palette location (255) set as transparent causes the issue.  The same animated gif imports fine into 2.7.

Gilbert

Hmmm. Since the data in each frame in an animated GIF could contain just the changes from the last frame (in order to reduce file size) I think the editor probably has a bug that it just imports the content of individual frames saved in the file directly and not taking the previous frames into account. Most "more advanced" graphics packages (e.g. PS, I think) would only save the differences like this by default. Until the bug is fixed, I think one workaround is to "unoptimise" the GIF by forcing each frame to have all the pixel data while saving it (this can be done by selecting
filters -> animation -> unoptimise
in GIMP say for example).

Elessar

Quote from: Pumaman on Thu 21/02/2008 20:03:26
Are you using sierra-style speech, and do you have a blinking view for that character? If so I think I've identified the cause of the problem, and will get it fixed.
Yeah, I've got a blinking view (three sprites) and I'm using Sierra with background.

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

QuoteHmmm. Since the data in each frame in an animated GIF could contain just the changes from the last frame (in order to reduce file size) I think the editor probably has a bug that it just imports the content of individual frames saved in the file directly and not taking the previous frames into account. Most "more advanced" graphics packages (e.g. PS, I think) would only save the differences like this by default. Until the bug is fixed, I think one workaround is to "unoptimise" the GIF by forcing each frame to have all the pixel data while saving it (this can be done by selecting
filters -> animation -> unoptimise
in GIMP say for example).

I've tested and verified that the use of palette position 0 as transparent allows all my gifs to import properly; however, using palette position 255 as transparent does not, which could also mean that any color used other than index 0 will also break it (though I have not checked).  It is clear that palette position 255 is the start of the trouble, though.

Pumaman

QuoteI've just taken my main WiP into 3.0 for the first time (Ivy's new game was my test subject  ) and everything seems to be working fine except for one instance where I'm using a sprite (actually a series of sprites in an improvised animation by incrementing the gui background graphic in the repeatedly execute script) with alpha channel (imported from a .png) as the background image on a gui.  The transparency doesn't work correctly, and instead, I just see a big white blob where there should be semi-transparency.  Running the same game (I hadn't modified the code at all) compiled through 2.7 shows the gui with proper transparency.

Can you post a game that demonstrates the problem?

QuoteNot to bump, but I've got a separate issue.  When importing some sprites from animated gifs, I found something very strange happening.

Can you post a sample GIF that causes this?

QuoteYeah, I've got a blinking view (three sprites) and I'm using Sierra with background.

Ok thanks, this should be fixed in the next version.

Vince Twelve

PMed that image to you.

Regarding the GUI that wouldn't properly display alpha-channels, I played around a bit and fixed it.  But I don't understand why what I was doing before worked in 2.7 but not 3.0.

Since this GUI was on screen the entire game except for small periods, I was just setting the background graphic to slot 0, which is just a single transparent pixel, instead of changing the visibility.  This was also useful before because, to animate the GUI, I was using repeatedly_execute_always to increment or decrement the background graphic, and giving it 0 when I wanted it to be invisible. 

So, I took all the places where it would set the background graphic for the GUI to 0 (including in the game_start script) and changed it to setting the visibility to false.  Now everything works correctly.

Does assigning the background graphic of a GUI to a single transparent pixel somehow stop the GUI from later displaying alpha transparency?  Because it didn't in 2.72, but seems to do so now...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk