Spite Jam April 6-13: Revenge of the Mutant Rodent

Started by Paper Carnival, Sun 06/04/2008 18:34:54

Previous topic - Next topic

Paper Carnival

You've all seen what happened to the mouse in the previous Spite Jam contest. He was tortured, abused, and his carcass was dumped in the toxic waste of Darkcity's Main Factory. His contact with the unnatural waste somehow saved his life, yet mutated him into something intelligent, strong and horrible. And now, he has returned to revenge!

Rules:
* Draw a mutated rodent (not necessarily a mouse) whose purpose is to revenge mankind.
* Entries will be mostly judged on technical skills, creativity and character posture.

Limitations:
* 32 colours
* No size limit, but the animal should work well as a game character
* No anti-aliased edges

Your rodent is encouraged to wear things like weapons, a villain uniform, mechanical parts, etc, but they are not essential.

Gold, Silver and bronze angry rodent trophies with ruby eyes for the winners :D

DoorKnobHandle

* No anti-aliasing

No AA? Do you mean AA around the edges? Because AA can be used heavily inside a sprite, it's a very common technique. I doubt you want to limit that one.

Paper Carnival

Yes, I meant on the edges. You are allowed to use anti-aliasing inside the sprite, as long as you stay within the colour limit

rock_chick

Um, how do I work out what 32 colours are(yes I'm a real n00b)?

Nagania

that depends on what painting program you are using....
Nagania Games - Work on my first ever game, Sketch, has begun!  Check out my website, www.freewebs.com/nagania

Tuomas

Quote from: rock_chick on Mon 07/04/2008 01:17:40
Um, how do I work out what 32 colours are(yes I'm a real n00b)?

Yes, well, you choose 32 colours from your palette, the ones that fit your sprite the best, and stick to those, and only those. It's a 32 colour limit, so basically it doesn't define which colours. You could use 32 different shades of grey or all the colours in the rainbow.

rock_chick

Thanks for the explanation, I was thinking along the lines of yeah 8bit colours, etc.

brokenbutterfly

Did you get the idea from my bloody ratty?  ;D
Mouse from last jam
If not, nvm  :-[

Edited by mod: Changed image to a link, to avoid this misread as an entry.

rock_chick

Quote from: brokenbutterfly on Mon 07/04/2008 02:59:43
Did you get the idea from my bloody ratty?  ;D
If not, nvm  :-[

Actually he looks like he's got his paws on a red skateboard and therefore looks cute but since it is actually blood he's creepy.

Edited by mod: Removed quoted image.

brokenbutterfly

Quote from: rock_chick on Mon 07/04/2008 03:02:52
Actually he looks like he's got his paws on a red skateboard and therefore looks cute but since it is actually blood he's creepy.
Edited by mod: Removed quoted image.

But no, notice the evil stare and evil teeth  ;D Yes it's blood, but it's my first sprite ever anywhere so my skills aren't the greatest out there  :) and I did it as a joke in the previous thread, didn't pay too much attention I guess.

@Gilbot V7000a: Sorry, I wanted to add a comment about it not being an entry but forgot  :-[ :-[ thanks for the edit.

Tuomas

Splinter takes revenge on shredder with a mower! And everyone else too.

brokenbutterfly

That Splinter is awesome!!  ;D ;D

Ok, here's my real entry, a mutant rodent with the crazed look again. I don't know how well it would work in a game, but I can picture him crawling around, all evil and stuff. Not even 10 colors, done with MSPaint, and wouldn't know anti-aliasing even if it hit me in the face. Purple background because I don't know how to do a transparent one.

I didn't know about the right size so I went along with Tuomas', hope he doesn't mind  :-[

Tuomas

brokenbutterfly

Quote from: Tuomas on Mon 07/04/2008 17:07:27
No size limit so it's OK :)

Yeah no limit, but I meant I didn't know about the right size for a sprite, since I've never done this before (except for my joke entry in the previous sprite jam, but there was an inventory slot as a limit). So thanks  ;D

Mazoliin

There's only one way in which toxic waste can mutate something

Behold! Angry Mutatant Pissed-Off Rat
AMPO, for short. 15 colours.

TwinMoon

From the darkest depths of the sewer, he's been building up his rage for decades...
but now is unleashed upon an unsuspecting mankind,
its:

Wielding his mutated carrot to revenge and using his secret feng-shui powers to make people feel uncomfortable! Dressed of course in the most stylish black supervillain spandex*

*Also suitable for heroes

I feel just like a ten year old again.
16 colours.

miguel

"That's it! No more .jpg Light Sabres choping this rat!"
Working on a RON game!!!!!

Tuomas

Quote from: TwinMoon on Tue 08/04/2008 00:59:33
From the darkest depths of the sewer, he's been building up his rage for decades...
but now is unleashed upon an unsuspecting mankind,
its:

A bunny's not a rodent though, as we all know...

Sry, had to be a nitpicker

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

Tuomas - not "as we all know", in fact after reading your post I went straight to Wikipedia to prove you wrong.

Of course I quickly realized you had been right, but I'd always thought rabbits were rodents as all, and wiki did say that some other kinds of mammals like rabbits were often confused with rodents - so I was glad it wasn't just me that got things mixed up. :)

Basically, what I mean is, thanks for setting me straight on something I'd always assumed correct!
Reach for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars.

Kneel. Now.

Never throw chicken at a Leprechaun.

Tuomas

:D :D Hehe, the "as we all know" was to add alittle comedy init.

Well, it helps if you've had 3 bunnies of your own like me. Also, these posts of ours should probably be removed; in a sense they're off topic.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk