The Jackyard

Started by (deleted), Sun 01/06/2008 17:34:58

Previous topic - Next topic

LimpingFish

Very nicely put together. And very striking. I liked it a lot. :)
Steam: LimpingFish
PSN: LFishRoller
XB: TheActualLimpingFish
Spotify: LimpingFish

bicilotti

A beautiful, beautiful game which I'll recommend to anyone. It is charming to play a completely different, enveloping gaming experience, to wander lonely as a cloud driven only by this innate, genuine will to "discover" what's around us.

Graphics and scripting are top notch, SFX do an excellent job in making "Jackyard"'s world even more rel and enjoyable.

Quote from: hofmeier on Sun 01/06/2008 17:34:58
NOTES:This is my first swing at AGS. While I did consider using other game engines to produce this project (it's often mentioned in the forums that GameMaker is better suited to developing platform games), I was drawn to the challenge of making it work with AGS

Nice attitude: be assured that you're game will for sure wide the horizons of many AGSers!

Groogokk

Interesting game. More than anything else, however, it makes me want to know who you are, hofmeier. A person who puts Goethe and a dessert menu on his website and German phrases in his game... do you have German roots?

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

Yeah, *that's* the greatest mystery about him.
Reach for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars.

Kneel. Now.

Never throw chicken at a Leprechaun.

miguel

Next thing you know he'll be making a game based on Faust.
Working on a RON game!!!!!

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

Tolworthy will beat him to it.

But I digress.

Hofmeier (I mean, come on, his name doesn't even sound german at all, does it?), I'd just like you to know, because I think it might be interesting or valuable information for you, that I really want to play this game, I really do - but I've been very busy lately and simply have no time to sit down and immerse myself in a game which I can't save/load, or just quit and return to the exact point I left off (a subtle alternative to save/load which satisfies pretty much everyone, methinks :) ). I.e. - because I'm forced to play it through in a single session, I'm barred from playing it, and probably will be for a loooooooong time, as I'm entering a very busy time.

Food for thought, and not just for you either, methinks.

Kneel. Now.

(deleted)

(deleted)

Groogokk

Quote from: hofmeier on Mon 09/06/2008 07:46:37
Well, not really... I'm a very typical American cross-bred mutt, I suppose. I included the German in the game (hopefully my translation attempts didn't miss the mark too badly) because I wanted those sections to seem somewhat stark, austere, and hopefully maybe even mysterious. I enjoy the overall feeling of a few German phrases, simply because of the linguistic after-taste they leave in the brain... Hopefully that doesn't sound too snooty or pretentious.
It doesn't. Drama often lives on the emotional impression its lines leave behind.
Quote from: hofmeier on Mon 09/06/2008 07:46:37
As to the other part of your question, the dessert menu on the site is the old menu from Seattle's Cafe Metropolitain, where I was their executive dessert chef.
I'm impressed.

Ali

Hi,

I love the design of the game, particularly the dream sequences. Thanks for using the parralax module. Am I right in thinking that the score bar is a little bit of whimsical satire? Or am I just really bad at this game?

I hope you make more games in this vein, and I have a couple of suggestions. Feel free to disegard all or some:

A wider range of locales would be welcome (though perhaps I haven't explored fully).

I felt that the character's googley eyes, and a couple of his wackier animations detracted a little from the sombre and contemplative atmosphere.

I also would like to save, not to escape falling into a pit of sentences, but to build on explorations over several sessions.

Jumping can be a little awkward because of the way the character 'hits his head' when he jumps from a position below another platform, like the bed. This made exploring a little more difficult for me.

Finally, I would like to read more: books, notes, messages left by other explorers perhaps. I would also like a wider range of devices to operate, but that may just be my love of machines.

Congratulations on a really interesting game. Now I'm going to read the hints...

-Ali

kaputtnik

Quote from: Rui 'Trovatore' Pires on Sun 08/06/2008 23:56:23
Tolworthy will beat him to it.

But I digress.

Hofmeier (I mean, come on, his name doesn't even sound german at all, does it?),

Whether or not I missed the irony in that post, I just wanted to add this to the discussion: Hofmeier is a quite common name in Southern Germany and Austria.

I am quite fascinated by this game, it sort of reminds me of a short film I have seen a long time ago, where there were two creatures, one white, one black, struggling to spread their colors into the other one's life and dreams...hard to describe a short movie ;)

Only one tiny bit of criticism: I'll have to agree with Ali, the loony eyes kind of vexed me all the time...

I, object.

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

QuoteHofmeier is a quite common name in Southern Germany and Austria.

Ayuh, was being fully ironic. Of course, what made it all the more fun is, he considers himself as just a typical American cross-bred mutt.

A most unusual cathegorization, but there you go.

Kneel. Now.

(deleted)

(deleted)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk