June 20-27 - From the Nightmares of H.G. Wells Comes- WINNER

Started by Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens, Sat 21/06/2008 00:52:44

Previous topic - Next topic

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

That's right, kiddies!  I'm sure most of you know who H.G. Wells was, and if not this is an excellent time to become familiar with his body of work:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H._G._Wells

There, now you are an expert.  Your mission, if you choose to accept it, will be to take a modern invention and re-imagine it the way you think H.G. Wells would have in his prime; will it have tons of fancy bronze gears, knobs and levers or will it be steam powered?  You decide!

Limitations:

1.  Modern inventions are limited to anything from Wells' death (1946) to the present and must be something that actually exists. 

2.  Must be usable as a sprite in an adventure game (backgrounds do not count).

3.  Dimensions can be anything up to 800x600.  This provides for anything from a tiny cd player to a tank.

4.  Colors can be between 8 and 256 colors (inclusive).  However, I do not want to see a 16-bit image hastily reduced to 256 colors.  Do not do this! 

Get out there and re-invent!

evenwolf

I'm familiar with Welles but I thought I'd help some of the fuzzier people with some inspirational googling.   If you're not familiar with the Welles-ian style.... look no fruther:

and rather unfortunately..
"I drink a thousand shipwrecks.'"

pslim

I was interested in participating in this jam, but I have yet to find an extant post-1940s invention that lends itself well to spriting and catches my imagination beyond the obvious (and therefore uninspiring) computer or stealth bomber. How do you sprite magnetic resonance imaging, fiber optics, or oral contraceptives? What could Wells' take on super glue have been?

Ogre

Questionable

All my trophies have disappeared... FINALLY! I'm free!

Brad Newsom

HG Wells....your question doesn't really make sense when its already stated that this is a HG Wells competition.

evenwolf

Yeah man, H.G. Welles helped inspire steampunk so if you do either you'll probably be good.
"I drink a thousand shipwrecks.'"

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

Well I can certainly open it up to allow real inventions made at any time in our history, I just want to avoid seeing things HG Wells already described himself.  Will that help you at all, pslim?

Matti

Some sort of pacemaker, taken from a Simpsons-episode.

NOT AN ENTRY:

Brad Newsom

The game '30 Days' from Frogwares is a good example of Wellsian design. Trains to airships to giant boats. Its a beautiful game, besides the horrible voice acting (gay sounding main character which says things that sort of put you off), horrible vehicle dynamics, and more!

Okay, enough about the game. The reason why I brought that up is the fact that the skies the limit to this. So, there is no reason why no one can submit some quality work!

@Evenwolf: What is that pic of the sky ship from? Stardust?

Matti

1. I admit I didn't quite know, what I was doing there, I just played around
2. The tank was invented before 1946
3. I basically used Welles inventions typical colors. Only non-tank-like things are the wheels and the tubes on the top.
4. The wheels are a bit out of shape. I made it in a hurry.

But I just wanted to post an entry here. It's a pity that such a good theme didn't create a competition.

It's 100x60 with 8 or 9  colors.

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

Yay, it is time to decide a winner!

Ogre, you pick the next theme!  Special thanks to matti for entering.

Edit:  Ogre hasn't replied to my pm so I give the win to matti!

Gilbert

Hmmm. I think even orge didn't reply to your pm or start a new round in time would make another participant a winner in general. Instead, most of the time it's just the host asking some other people (most of the time the 1st runner up) to host the next round instead.

However, as you are the host of this round you may decide whether you'll just ask matti to be the next host or even giving the win to him. If you have decided to change the winner I'll have to update the Hall of Fame.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk