Sprite Jam (12 August 2008 - 29 August 2008) WINNER!

Started by Gilbert, Tue 12/08/2008 02:53:28

Previous topic - Next topic

Gilbert

You have lost your way in the endless maze of the forest. Desparately looking for the way out you have a surprise encounter which makes you stop and have to think fast about what action you should take next.

This week's topic is: Encounter!

What you need to do is to draw what you meet in the encounter, which fits in the background above. Be it a helpful guard of a park, a small but fierce animal, a large but friendly monster, a robot, a serial killer, a fire hose, or whatever you can think of. There is nothing that constraints your imagination except the following rules:

1. There is no definite size or colour restrictions, as long as the sprite fits in well with the background above. Note that to test your skills the background cannot be re-scaled, you can make it a bigger one by expanding the space aound the image though.
2. Sprites that will merge well with the colours, size and the atmosphere of the background will have additional advantages.
3. You have to supply an image of the standalone sprite AND another image of the sprite put onto the background to show how it works. You can, however, save them side by side as a single image file. This does not break the rule.

P.S. You are right. I suck in drawing trees.

Edit: Extended deadline.

Mazoliin

A faul stench reaches your nostril, causing your stomach contents to rapidly move upwards. You have encountered the darkest of darkness...

SATAN, emergeing from the excrement of a dog.

Gilbert

An entry already! :D

Yes, that is how I would expect an entry would be like (SATAN surely lives in dirty places ;D).

Keep it going!

donom

EdLoen

x3http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v612/EdLoen/encountersj_SPRITE.png

I had planned on animating her emerging from the tree then walking to the center "spotlight," but soon realized that was a little beyond me.  Besides, this is a sprie comp, not an ani comp  anyway LOL.

Paper Carnival

1x:

2x:

Woah, I discovered a portal to another dimension!

20 colors with beach, 7 without it.

[Cameron]

OH NO! IT'S A WITCH ROCK! Look at the evil!

Ghost

Astonished, you encounter a dragonfly fairy emerging from her cocoon...

Saving throw against CHARISMA fails!

14 colours, 10 without the cocoon...

Gilbert

Because of the OlyMittens virus that dragged the forums down I decide to extend the deadline to the 29th (since I'll be lazy to judge the entries on weekdays ;D).

Gilbert

Alright, I think there's enough time for this.
Copying what some of you had done before, I'll give short comments on the individual entries before drawing to the conclusion.

Mazoliin: Really good imagination of combining two of the most evil stuff together. Nice skill also. :D

donom: This sprite makes me smile. Nice skill but the colours are a bit too bright for the background I think. (It's okay though, as even for commercial games you often see enemies using the same colour scheme in day and night times. Also you may interpret the "oval ground" as a spotlight. := )

Edleon: Hehe, you better finish the animation, otherwise you'll be banned from the male-dominated AGS forums. ;D The colouring is simple but it does capture a 8-bitish game feeling well.

Andorxor: I think this is a well executed idea. :) Image in a console-type RPG where the enemies have 2-frame animations (the other frame being the monster brinking) and when you or the monster attack there is a flashing of the background's palette which reveals the true form of it.

Paper Carnival: For some reason I am reminded of the Might & Magic games. Nice VGAish colouring also. The perspective looks a little odd combined with the background though. (I know, I know, for this kind of games you don't really need the sprite to match with the background perfectly. ;) )

Cameron: Nice idea.  :D The sprite is not bad but is not instantly recognisable. Drawing it in a bigger size might help.

Ghost:  Good skills as always. :) If it is animated it will be even better. (I know, this is Sprite Jam, not Animation Comp.)

Overall, the sprites match the background well and are imaginative.

Now, I'll declare the winners. As always I'll give out my crap unofficial large Sprite Jam trophy for the one who comes first. But as people like small trophies in their signatures nowadays I'll also provide them.

2nd runner up: Paper Carnival
You will get the bronze tree trophy. :D

1st runner up: Ghost
Just pick up the silver tree trophy. ;)

And now, the winner is...

Yes! It's you!  := := := Go get your golden tree trophy and start the next round!

If you cannot see the large trophy for some reason just highlight the following.
Spoiler
Mazoliin!
[close]

Thanks to all for participating!

Paper Carnival

Yay I got another trophy ;D

I know the perspective is weird, that was kinda intentional.

Mazoliin

Man, how am I going to fit that in my profile? :D

And now I have to come up with some ass-kicking idea to the next comp, thinking cap - activate!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk