Tune Contest- The Score (Voting Ends Sun. October 11) VOTE NOW!

Started by Questionable, Fri 12/09/2008 05:16:55

Previous topic - Next topic

Questionable

Welcome to the nth Annual Tune Contest. This time around I wanted to make sure that regardless of your instruments, style, or creative process-- everyone will be able to contribute. This means leaving the doors as wide open as possible, so:

There is NO time limit, for the song.

There is NO format limit. As long as we can play the tune and grade it, you're good.

There is NO reason to submit your piece anonymously. If you wish to do so, PM me a link to your piece and ensure that the place it is hosted at keeps you anonymous.

Your entry MUST be submitted by, at latest, 11:59 P.M. EST  (-5 GMT) on October 6th, 2008.

Unless an extension is declared, of course.

Without any further ado, allow me to present...

The Score

If you've ever seen a movie, you know how much the music effects each scene. It can make us feel scared, make a fight more intense, calm and soothe us, give a sense of scale, grandeur, wealth, and enhance any visual experience infinitely.

I want each submission to include a scene/scenario. It could be a fight you had with your girlfriend, a landscape pan in an epic western, a serious scene in comedic sitcom. Just post (or PM) the scene along with your song. Feel free to post the song first and feel free to post the scene first, or at the same time.... whichever.

It doesn't have to be a script, it doesn't have to be a novel, just something for us to visualize while listening to your piece. Just set up the scene that you're about to...

SCORE

Voting
Once every song is submitted there will be a period of voting, where I would like to ask everyone voting to vote based on these criteria:

1. Quality of the Scene: 1-2-3-4-5
2. Quality of the Song: 1-2-3-4-5
3. Quality of the Product: 1-2-3-4-5
4. Over-all Score: 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10

1.  Rate the scene described on it's originality, it's vividness, it's power. Whatever you like. Just rate it on a scale of one to five. Five being the best end of the scale and one being the worst end of the scale.

2. Ignoring the scene, rate the song on how well it sounds, how well you connect with it, its imagery, its flow. Rate the song, like the scene, on a scale of one to five.

3. This score will reflect how well the song relates to the scene. If it's a touching scene between a father and his three year old daughter after his wife has just died and you don't really think the heavy metal blaring fits it very well (even if the song is very well executed) then give the over all product [the song and scene, together] a low score... unless, of course, the father and daughter just gunned down all the doctors because they poisoned his wife, they I will question why it doesn't fit in your mind...

4. Taking into account your previous scores and the way the other songs rate in your mind, assign a number one through ten. One being the low end and ten being the higher end. The difference between this score and #3 is that in #3 you are simply rating how well the song matches the scene, this score is the be-all-end all, how you feel about EVERYTHING. Theme, Tone, Pace, Connection, Imagery, Instrument use and everything else.

I am asking you to rate EVERY song in this manner. Once the voting process is finished I will tally the scores.

Example Voter One, #1+#2+#3+#4=X    X/4= Average Score One
Example Voter Two, #1+#2+#3+#4=X    X/4= Average Score Two
Example Voter Three, #1+#2+#3+#4=X    X/4= Average Score Three

Avg. One + Avg. Two + Avg. Three = Y      Y/3= Song Score

People that submit songs can vote, they cannot score their own songs, however.

Any questions?!

All my trophies have disappeared... FINALLY! I'm free!

Questionable

Examples- focus on the music, more than the scene itself.

A gladiator reveals his identity to the man that had his family killed, and believes him to be dead.
http://www.redbalcony.com/?vid=22535

The sky is slowly filling with clouds, the sun shines through holes in the fluffy white puffs onto a gorgeous swamp lake, filled with trees, lillys, frog pads and brilliant white mallards. A couple paddles into the center of our sight, in a small rowboat. A decadent southern bell in pearls and a frilled blue dress. A scrappy gentleman with an everday suave essence on him. They enjoy their time under the sun, and as rain begins to sprinkle them, they head towards the shore.

After docking the boat, the man turns, the woman blocks his way. They share an intimate moment, drenched in the rain. The woman realizes that she's given into the man and confronts him about why he abandoned her. He defends his honor, shouting in the rain, saying that he always loved her, he wrote her letters and she never wrote back. They stare into each others eyes after the argument, in the storm and succumb to their love-fueled lust.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNKrCuPGtzY

An explosion damages a space shuttle, endangering it's re-entry. If the hull is damaged too much the shuttle will destroy itself on re-entry. No repairs can be made in-space and so the crew members decide they have no choice but to try and re-enter or starve and die in space. Upon re-entry a cloud of steam and atmospheric gasses shrouds the shuttle. The family of the crew members watch the re-entry live on television hoping their loved ones will survive.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ij2KUh1Xl8k

A barenuckle boxing match with two blokes pounding the chips out of each other.
WARNING: Brutality and Cursing
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2SqUEvtVyI

An FBI Investigator reconstructs a massive gunfight in his head.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ff5DlpZiMZ0

Two brothers, who happen to be professional heist-artists (read: Thieves,) haven't had a job in a while. To kill time they decide to race. One in a truck, the other with a super-speed R/C truck.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxClWgpq8Kg&feature=related

...more to come... (maybe)

P.S.  The description of the scene can be as long or as short as you like. Just keep in mind that the more vague you are, the harder it will be for most of us to picture your scene and blend the music you create to the scene you set up.

Dualnames

Sound File:
http://ledzepforever.googlepages.com/oauccreditstune023.mid

Scene:
In a land, where fantasy, magic and fun takes another meaning, the great trompets sound as the morning comes in. It's a land of prosperity and full of dreams. A land where strange creatures live and lurk in. Where the seashore plays a wonderful song, fading in and fading out. There standing in front of the cliff, where the waves violently try to push the island someplace else, our heroe, with his sword and shield. His hair , blonde and long, play with the wind. Then he takes his horse and rides back. Running fast and steady..
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

DoorKnobHandle

Isn't until Oct. 6th a little long for a normal Tune Contest? It's over three weeks!

Hammerite

Scene -
The man lies comfortably asleep and dreaming...
... but his dreams are soon interrupted by strange colours and sounds.
When he awakens, he is rising up towards the lights emitted by a huge spaceship that looms above him.
He is then placed onto a strecher and rushed by the mysterious inhabitants of the ship through corridors.
The corridor's many lights distort his vision, and strange unknown noises are all he can hear.
Alien scientists surround him - taking notes and running from place to place.
His memories distort now, and the last thing he remembers are the aliens placing him onto his bed and sending him back to his dream.

Sound file -
http://www.box.net/shared/axotrvdcjk
i used to be indeceisive but now im not so sure!

Questionable

Wow, nice entries so far! Diggin' it.

Quote from: dkh on Sun 14/09/2008 00:25:13
Isn't until Oct. 6th a little long for a normal Tune Contest? It's over three weeks!

The last several contests have been at LEAST 14 days. Anything under 20 days has 3-4 entries. The last contest was approx. 25 days. 

I figured with this time length it would give people enough time to be creative with their scene and also give ample time for making the actual song.

deFineLicht

Just a short tune, as a I really wanted to compete but don't really got the time :P

-Infierno de la tierra-
(Montage)
Mexico in the 19th century.
A priest has decided to travel out in the desert to "come close to God", as many other brothers has done before him. Because he has lived next to the desert all is life, he knows how to survive there, but even so, he never thought that it would be this rough. At the days it is to hot to even think about something else than shelter. At nights it is so cold, that he shivers to the bones. But between day and night, in the dusk and in the dawn, the desert for a moment is forgiving. At these precious moments, the priest sees that the desert is beautiful, with the sun shining light over the majestic sanddunes. He thinks about home. About the ones he loves. "There are solid things in this world", he thinks. "Great mountains and strong fortresses. But their solidity is just an illusion, because it all comes down to one thing. Sand." And then he continues his long and dangerous journey through the desert.

boojiboy

http://www.box.net/shared/bnlychpad7

Michael, a ten year old boy, is convinced that aliens are trying to speak to him through his dreams. His three school friends think he's crazy.
One day the gang decide to skip school and they go wandering in the forest near the beach. Michael stumbles across a rock with a strange marking, one that he recognizes from his dreams. The rock opens up a door that leads down stone steps deep underground. They enter and the door closes behind them. As they travel further and further down the steps, they see light coming from the hallway at the bottom. Once they reach the bottom, the hallway opens up to an enormous cavern with a lake in the center. Light seems to be emanating from the lake, filling the cavern with swirling blue streams of reflective light.
The gang make their way around the cliffs high above the lake, trying to avoid the perils and pitfalls. Meanwhile, Michael is feeling deja vu at the scenario and he feels something calling to him that the others can not. Michael insists that they swim to the bottom of the lake to find out what is casting the light. After some arguments they all agree to swim down.
They swim as far as they can go before having to make their way back up for air, but as soon as they do the water around them starts sucking them downwards.
The gang find themselves inside a spaceship.

Viking

Audio:
http://www.galluzzo.net/eric/music/Voyage.mp3

Scene:
A grizzled old soldier takes his sailboat out to sea.  He savors the gentle breeze upon his face, the tang of the salt upon his lips, as he lies in his well-worn hammock.  The undulating waves soon soothe him to sleep.

As he sleeps, he dreams of his past, the battles he has fought, the trepidation he has felt.  The old soldier, so used to sleeping outside, does not even notice as the first raindrops begin to fall upon his face, and the wind begins to blow more and more strongly, pushing his boat out to sea.  He dreams that he charges into battle, and waves and waves of men begin to crash upon him.

Suddenly he awakens to find that the waves are crashing upon his boat.  He mans the deck, fighting the waves for a time.  But he soon realizes that his fight is futile, for he is not an expert sailor, and the waves are much stronger than he.  So he humbly bows his head and offers a prayer to God Almighty, as the waves crash about him.  As soon as he has finished, as if in answer, a towering wave smashes his boat, and he plunges down into the water.

The sea is calm, the gale has passed.  Pieces of driftwood float up onto the shore.  Lying upon one piece of driftwood is the old soldier, who slowly rises and offers his thanks to God for preserving his life.

Questionable

No more submissions.

Please review the voting guidelines in the original post and cast your ballots. You may rate as few or as many entries as you like.

COMPETITORS!
Please feel free to vote on your your competition, but be fair; this is a fun community activity, not a bloodsport.

(You may not vote on your own submission.)

Questionable

I will be selecting the winner tomorrow and posting awards shortly after.

Hammerite

i used to be indeceisive but now im not so sure!

Questionable

VKING!

The song was very well orchestrated and very cinematic. You didn't earn the gold for the quality of the song, however. You won because after reading your setup I could close my eyes, play the music and picture the scene unfold in such clarity I couldn't stand to not give you an award.

DEFINELICHT!

Personally, my favorite song of the bunch in terms of just listening to a song.  After reading your scenario, however, I completely did NOT expect the song you presented. It was a turn in a different direction than expected BUT it still fit the scene. Mostly you took silver because of the imagery of the scene and the quality of the song rather than them together.

BOOJIBOY!

I was incredibly conflicted about giving you third because I felt that the song deserved more than bronze but I just couldn't take the other guys down a notch. There was another entry with a similar twist but your song AND your scene felt more cohesive than the other. I suppose the only reason I couldn't move you up more is that in your scene you mention playing in the forest and a dark cave and the first half of the song didn't connect with that scene for me. At a certain point though it all caught up and fit gorgeously.

Congrats to all the winners and thank you to all the participants! Sorry for the delay I didn't expect that I would be moving into a new apartment as soon as I had to!

Viking

Thank you for the honor!  I have an idea for a competition and plan to get it ready and post it tonight or tomorrow.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk