Fortnightly Writing Competition: 2nd-14th December

Started by rock_chick, Thu 30/10/2008 03:28:28

Previous topic - Next topic

rock_chick

Okay the theme is Vivid memory or memories, basically the restriction is the  memory or memories need to be real in the story.

I'm not doing trophies myself because my pixel making is crap but if somebody wants to that's fine. 12 days for writing, 2 for voting.

Update
Okay the competition has started up again.

rock_chick

Well I was hoping my first running of this contest would at least generate some interest but it's been days and no responses of any type. I really want this competition to work so I'd appreciate any feedback on what may have caused this lack of interest. Was it the theme, is this just a reality that this competition is going out of style(I really hope that's not it!), etc. Perhaps because I wasn't able to make trophies for the winners. Honestly I've never seen such a lack of interest in any of the previous rounds so I'm bewildered as to why this one has.

Tuomas

Honestly, you might want to take a break for the next 30 something days. I don't think it's too far fetched to suppose, that most people, that would enter this one are at the moment considering or entering the NaNowriMo contest, and that will probably take everyone's complete concentration for now :)

DanielH

November is just a really, really, really bad time. All sorts of stuff going on. NaNoWriMo, as Tuomas pointed out, an I have a lot of GCSE mocks (which, sadly, take precedence over creative writing) at the end of November, and various piles of coursework need doing. Don't worry, rock_chick, it's nothing to do with you or your competition's rules, nor is it the competition itself. It's just a really busy month ahead of me and I probably won't make the time for much other than work, sorry.  :-[

TwinMoon

I blame SSH for not blogging about this ;)

The NaNoWriMo is probably stealing away the attention of all the people who would enter this competition. (Not mine though, since I suck at writing against a deadline.)

You could just see how many entries there are on the 11th, but it might be wiser to ask a mod to close it until the 30th and then re-start the competition.

rock_chick

I'll ask for the competition to be delayed. I wasn't aware of the competition.

Gilbert

Alright, following the request of rock_chick this is locked till 1st December.

If I forget to unlock it by that time, drop me a PM and I'll unlock it. :)

Okay!

Dualnames

As for SSH not blogging about this, well, I'm supposed to keep track of the competitions, so I'll let the guys who visit the post about..
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

rock_chick

Still no interest it seems, what's happened to this competition?

Dudeman Thingface

I'm incredibly interested in this competition, however, I have already dedicated my time to the MAGS.

After MAGS is over, if there is another writing comp., I'll surely join it.

Aljoho

I'm interested - assuming I can find the time :-\ - in entering, but i'm a little bit confused about the theme. Does it have to be a memory we've had, or a character reciting a memory (or is it open to interpretation)
A Tribute to my success -  A wonky ASCII Trophy
                              .__.
                              (|  |)
                               (  )
                              _)(_

BarkingPup

I would join but I am most confused.

QuoteOkay the theme is Vivid memory or memories, basically the restriction is the  memory or memories need to be real in the story.

Alright, so vivid memory/ies that is quite clear. However, I do not understand that they have to 'be real in the story'. Um... they have to be happening right there and then in the story (but then they wouldn't be memories). Or do they have to be from another person's story? Such as a site game (if so... that's a tad odd).

I think, in my humble opinion, that there would be more interest if you explained precisely what is going on. also, are there any rules besides the writing time limit? Word count, subject, do's/don't's? I could write an entire memory in a paragraph if I wanted to or twenty pages... or a hundred. Is it a short memory? long memory? How graphic? And I could go on and on....

rock_chick

Ok, basically a short story based around either a fictional memory or memories(in the latter case basically relating to each other). It's the main part of the story, it's what it's about, for example a story about a man who is talking about the death of his wife and his vivid memory of her dying in his arms or someone talking about a party that happened and memories his friend had of it. It could be written in the first of 3rd person.

Like most of the recent runs of this competition, there isn't a limitation as such, aside from the theme needing to fit with the story, the story is fictional and it being in the format of a story.

Dualnames

Well, here's my entry.

"Rain Epitaph"

The cold wind was flowing fast and steady through the rooftops..
through the water drains...
through the cold city streets...

There in the middle of a very dim light..so dim that it could only shade a very small area, thus making the rest of the neighbourhood seem totally black and uninteresting, the man stood.

He stood letting the rain hit him hard in his old worn-out black leather coat. He was considering that an act of arrogance and bravery against his enemies.

Time was passing slowly as he was lost in his thoughts gazing nowhere, thinking of everything, deciding nothing, dreaming of her...

Dreaming of her, her smile, her eyes, her hair and losing track of time as he thought more of the last time he saw her.. standing on her own... before.. .. it doesn't matter now.. ... ....

It was a Christmas period...all those small flashing lights, blipping and blinking, happily..
Snow was falling like leaves..quietly filling the ground without anyone noticing.. couples grabbed along walking in a silly way through the alleys, laughing for no apparent reasons..
But that's Christmas..silliest holiday ever. So there he was under the same dim light..but this time..the light was bright.....and she was there too...holding him by the arm..

'Come on James..we'll miss the stores!' she said and then giggled..
'What..oh..yeah..coming..' he said being a little confused, yet happy.
'Sometimes, you just stand looking at stuff, you foolish blot..', she giggle said again..
'Must be going bananas, i guess..' he replied..
'Nah, you're fine', she said..no giggles this time.
'You're beautiful, you know that?' he said seriously.
'You're mad as a balloon you know that?' She came back at him..

Lights faded out
Snow became rain
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

Trihan

Here's my entry.

"Hero"

He could remember it like it was yesterday.

The cheering of the crowd, rising from a deathly quiet to a deafening crescendo; the adrenaline surging through his body as his foot connected with the ball and it rocketed towards the undefended corner of the net; the glory that only winning a world cup final can provide.

He sighed contentedly, replaying the scene over and over in his head, a huge smile lightning up his face as he repeatedly experienced the high of his victory. Could anything be more sweet?

He thought back further - the day when he first announced to his parents that he wanted to be a football when he grew up, allowing himself a private chuckle at his childish error. His first training session, his first match. In a matter of moments he relived it all.

His reverie was interrupted by the arrival of a pretty young woman. He'd been taken with her for a while, but couldn't work up the courage to ask her if she was seeing anyone. Instead, he decided he would tell her the story of his amazing triumph.

"Regina! You'll never guess what I did yesterday!"

Regina smiled sadly at the confused, bed-ridden old man in front of her, and sat by his bedside to hear the story, just like she did every day.

Aljoho

Heres a REALLY optimistic entry for y'all ;)

'A better time'

The street was a jewel. It was the only word he could find to describe it. Despite the rain, the icy night air. The rain gathered in puddles, like an onrushing army. It streamed down the slight incline; rushing into a glorious battle. Above him, stretching high, were a thousand glistening, crystalline spires. No matter how cliché, like something out of a science fiction story, it sounded there was no doubting it. Laying here, on the floor, the lights of a city - neon glares and office flares - stretched seemingly a hundred thousand fold above him into the heavens. The Lights shone through the thick droplets, casting disco like glows and lighting up the city around him.
       Beneath him, the city was reflected in the river of rain â€" it reminded him of his days as a miner, richer days; happier days. digging thick into the bedrock of Africa for diamonds and rubies, the cobbled streets acted much like the cavern, causing the towering spires of buildings to stretch infinitely downwards as well, like some huge polar axis.
       Reminiscences of a better time: a time before divorce, before alcohol, before gambling, before eviction notices and court orders, before jail, welled up - fresh and new. And although he knew he wasn’t strong enough to deal with them, much like the street could not defend against the sheer might of the glistening rain, he let them come. A tear - a soldier amongst all the others falling from the heavens - fell from his cheek, falling onto the drenched sleeping bag.
       In front of him, an occasional person dashed past, not even turning to look, not at the cup, pooling with water, at the dog, a German shepherd, huddling beside him: stick thin and shivering. They saw only a huddled figure, a tramp, a hobo, hiding to escape the battle between earth and sky, much like they did, huddled under their umbrellas, and under raincoats.
       And now, in the present, his whole life glistened before him. He knew how his every mistake, his every stupid, foolish error, could be corrected. If only he had a time machine, a redo button on life, if only…

Just thought I'd share my inspiration - although I'm sure nobody is really that interested . Basically recently, whilst in London, I saw a tramp. This isn't a particularly rare occurrence and, like most people, I usually just ignore them. This guy, however, looked very normal. Most tramps are usually unshaved, bearded old men who look evil/mad (drug addicts, drunkards, psychopaths etc.) This guy, however, looked really normal, and I found myself wondering what he had done to get where he was, intrigued as to what his back story is. Anyway heres the product - just wanted to share my 2 cents (hope you liked it)
                              .__.
                              (|  |)
                               (  )
                              _)(_

rock_chick

Sorry I haven't replied sooner, I had computer problems until recently.
Entries are in and it's time to vote, one vote per person, I'll be back and give my vote a little later.

Because of extenuating circumstances voting starts today and finishes on the 21st.

Trihan

Assuming you can't vote for yourself I'd vote for Aljoho.

Trent R

I'm voting for Dualnames' "Rain Epitaph".

~Trent
To give back to the AGS community, I can get you free, full versions of commercial software. Recently, Paint Shop Pro X, and eXPert PDF Pro 6. Please PM me for details.

Current Project: The Wanderer
On Hold: Hero of the Rune

Aljoho

.__.
                              (|  |)
                               (  )
                              _)(_

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk