Unicode support

Started by rbaleksandar, Thu 12/02/2009 20:45:43

Previous topic - Next topic

rbaleksandar

Is there still no support of Cyrillic?
I am a mighty pirate. Arrrrgh!

Babar

Request! Request! Request!

This is probably the wrong place to do this, but I also wish for unicode support. It'll help in game translations into languages with other scripts, right?
The ultimate Professional Amateur

Now, with his very own game: Alien Time Zone

rbaleksandar

Is it really so much work to make it with unicode support? Because if it is, I'll understand why there's no such in AGS (because of so few requests). :(

PS: I would love to make a game in my own language. But I can't...Also there's a great limitation in the translation possibilities...Or not?

AdamM

Quote from: Pumaman on Thu 12/02/2009 18:20:32Well spotted, thanks for reporting this.

Yay! My first bug report! Thanks for the fix CJ.

Quote from: rbaleksandar on Fri 13/02/2009 07:33:16PS: I would love to make a game in my own language. But I can't...

You can use Cyrillic, as long as you import a font (which you would probably have to create yourself) where standard characters (i.e. A-Z) are replaced with Cyrillic characters. Did you not understand the answer given to you in this topic? It's obviously irritating not being able to use Unicode but this workaround does exist.

Dualnames

Great improvements. It looks quite stable for me.

EDIT: Some note, in case you were inaware of this, if you create a section (not type it but just click on the interaction editor of the room), like Room_Load, then go into the script and delete it you get an error (quite normal so no worries but just saying)
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

rbaleksandar

Quote from: AdamM on Sat 14/02/2009 11:28:00
Quote from: rbaleksandar on Fri 13/02/2009 07:33:16PS: I would love to make a game in my own language. But I can't...

You can use Cyrillic, as long as you import a font (which you would probably have to create yourself) where standard characters (i.e. A-Z) are replaced with Cyrillic characters. Did you not understand the answer given to you in this topic? It's obviously irritating not being able to use Unicode but this workaround does exist.

Sure I did. But you have to create a whole new font for that :P That's why I'm still asking if AGS supports NORMAL Cyrillic font. Obviously not.

btw Here's something that you should know (the numbers are only the # of the letters):

Latin has 26 big and small characters.
Cyrillic (Bulgarian) has 29 big characters and 30 small.
Cyrillic (Russian) has 32 big and small characters.

So in order to replace a Latin font, I'll have to replace some of the non-letter characters with Cyrillic! What if I need these...Do I have to import another font so that I'll be able to use them?

Not to mention Chinese. There will be a total disaster... As we all know, even to read a stupid newspaper, you need over 3 000 symbols! Educated people know up to 6-7 000. In some dictionaries you can find more than 60 000 characters. If a Chinese guy wants to create an AG with even 3-4 000 characters, how the hell will he be able to replace them with this minor pile of 256 characters?! Next time pls be more polite and think. As I mentioned before: if it's soooo hard to make it, I'll shut my mouth. But no one answered my question.

Snarky

ASCII has 128 basic characters (though the bottom 32 are used for control symbols), so even with a Russian alphabet you should have plenty of slots. In game dialogue, you're unlikely to need characters like @, $, %, #, ^, \, [, ], {, }, <, >, |, and _. You can probably even get rid of the number digits. That still leaves you with all of the regular punctuation.

AGS doesn't support Chinese. It wasn't made for making games in Chinese. So when you ask "how the hell" a Chinese guy will be able to make an AGS game in Chinese: he won't. Please be more polite and think.

That said, yeah, the workarounds and the limitations are tedious. Unicode support would be a major improvement to AGS.

I've had an idea for a game set on a sailboat with crew from around the world, each speaking their own language (English, Portuguese, Spanish, German, Russian, Norwegian, French, Turkish...)--like in The Last Express. There'd be no way to support all the different special characters for each language in one 256-character set, and currently I would probably need a different font for each crew member. Unicode support would make stuff like this much easier.

rbaleksandar

Quote from: Snarky on Sat 14/02/2009 17:52:58
you're unlikely to need characters like @, $, %, #, ^, \, [, ], {, }, <, >, |, and _. You can probably even get rid of the number digits.
Sorry, got little carried away :(
But (unlikely != never).
And my question is still without an answer :(

Pumaman

Q: Why doesn't AGS support Unicode?

A: Because over the last 10 years I think I've only seen it requested twice. Therefore it's way down the priority list.

Quote from: rbaleksandar on Fri 13/02/2009 07:33:16
Is it really so much work to make it with unicode support?

It would be a significant amount of work, yes. All of the parts of AGS that handle strings would have to be updated to recognise multi-byte characters, so it would take quite a bit of work to add it.

Babar

I've run into the problem once or twice, which is why I brought it up. Translating is easy enough to do if the language you are translating to is of the latin alphabet, but if it is of another script, then it is simply not possible. And (as far as I can see) there really isn't any workaround for this, unless you knew from beforehand that you might want to make a translation, and there is enough space to put 2 alphabets in the font.

I suppose it isn't really top priority, but just to let you know that there is desire for this to be implemented. Now it is 5 times in the last ten years!
The ultimate Professional Amateur

Now, with his very own game: Alien Time Zone

rbaleksandar

Quote from: Pumaman on Sat 14/02/2009 18:43:56
Quote from: rbaleksandar on Fri 13/02/2009 07:33:16
Is it really so much work to make it with unicode support?

It would be a significant amount of work, yes. All of the parts of AGS that handle strings would have to be updated to recognise multi-byte characters, so it would take quite a bit of work to add it.

THANK YOU! Finally an answer ;D Okay, my mouth will remain closed (as long as I don't bump into a problem that I can't solve and need more than just replacing :)) Hope this won't happen soon ;)

PS: Thanks to the moderator or whoever made this a thread.

subspark

Perhaps then in a future release. The maturitry of AGS is a continuous effort thanks entirely to Chris Jones. While we would all love to see this feature, we respect his priorities.

Vince Twelve

In the meantime, you could just make the game with voices, and no text.  I tend to prefer having subtitles in in games, even if they're not very wordy, like a shooter or something.  However, having a game that was spoken in my language with no text would be better than not having a game in my language at all...

Charity

I've taken a bit of Japanese, and occasionally I've considered using AGS to make a game or application that uses it.  For example a flashcard or quizzing program.  I don't have any ideas in the works, currently, but I'd like to add my voice to the group that supports and might make use of this functionality.

Vince Twelve

Alternatively, if your game doesn't have a huge amount of text, you could make each line an image. 

I did that for Linus Bruckman.  All the Japanese subtitles (about 1000 of them) were sprites that I called by number.  I wrote out the whole game script in a spreadsheet, then numbered each line, then translated each line, then imported the lines as an array of strings with index corresponding to sprite slots to which I imported graphical versions of the text.  Lines and sprites were consecutively numbered and then in the game I used functions like playLines(51, 55, 832, 836) to play a sequence of lines (lines 51 through 55 on the top and 832 through 836 on the bottom).  The downside is that it bloats your filesize and it takes you a long ass time to get all those images made and imported.

Or use SSH's module that lets you use sprites for fonts and then write a conversion program that converts your text from unicode to the sprite slots.  Still time consuming.

If your game is short and light on text, the way I did it for Linus is not a terribly hard work around.  You just need to keep your numbers straight.  If your game is really long, it might be worth it to use SSH's module and take the time to write the code to convert your unicode to sprite slots.

Sledgy

I already created Russian + English font support for AGS.

It's easy. Just put your font in to game folder. But for Russian need for some remake standard Cyrillic font. I made some famous, get it here

Rename font to agsfnt0.ttf, agsfnt1.ttf, ... (0, 1, ... - game font number) and put it near game *.exe.

For better view of font - use, via winsetup, 640x400 resolution.

rbaleksandar

Making a game with voices is bigger and much more difficult to make than a game without voicepack and only subtitles.

@Sledgy, I'll try that out.

Sledgy

For example,
see Russian version of 1213: Episode 1 (by Ben 'Yahtzee' Croshaw), it's not via *.TRA.

Change resolution to 640x400 (in winsetup).

rbaleksandar

Great! Works perfect! ;D

.rhavin

Ok, just to rise the requests/year quotient: I'd be happy to have unicode support, too. Today, i'ts hard to find *any* font that doesnt at least support a few thousand chars. I'm currently just starting with AGS, and it was quite a surprise that unicode wasnt in there considering the fact that it is included in all major languages for years. I can accept that variables and functions are limited to lower ascii, but text to the user has to be UTF-8 today. On most systems, this is completely handled by the build in functions and .NET already provides the functions to manipulate strings in a way that you dont even have to know how much physical bytes your actual chars need.

Considering the various Interpunktation i usually use to say something ›special‹, „quote“, get lost…, be wise®, and some couple of regular german vocals like äÃ,,öÖüÜ, àŸáºž and some derivates to emphasis language dialects (Š“Š’æÆ), im pretty shure i cant write that with just 255 chars. and â€" of course, it would be a pain because every char i used in this post i simply have on the keyboard.

So, please, UTF-8.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk