FortWriting Comp 18 April till 8 May-Choose yer own Adventure -WiNNERS Announced

Started by Dualnames, Sat 18/04/2009 00:35:44

Previous topic - Next topic

monkey0506

The bane of my existence strikes again.

@Page 11: Awww, man! That's not nice! ;D

Wyz

Ok, I have to admit this thing has gone out of hand. But I had my fun ;)
I used the story beginning I wrote last contest, felt inspiration for using it.

I also made a walkthrough for those who get stuck. For the url, scroll down. :)

The forest:
It was a rainy night when Jeff was driving on a forsaken forest road. The car radio was playing his favourite song and he was singing loudly along. He was not concentrating on the road too much, and notice a large fallen tree too late to stop. He pulled the steering wheel and set out a course through the forest, not much later loosing his consciousness.

When he opened his eyes slowly regaining his strength he tested his car, but it wouldn't start. He stepped out of the vehicle and looked around. The trees were dimly lit by the moon alone. He had no idea where he was.

To follow the car tracks go to [1], to go into the direction of the car go to [16] or to stick around go to [7].

Page 1:
Spoiler
Jeff did what he thought was wise, following the tracks would surely bring him back. At first the soil was moist and the prints deep, making it easy to for him to seek them. Then the soil was firm making it a bit harder. He followed them with a rapid pass, he was not comfortable and had still blood from his face. It must have been hours and still the tracks continued, how is it possible he wondered to himself.

To continue walking go to [2], to turn back go to [3].
[close]

Page 2:
Spoiler
He was not yet ready to give up, soon it will be dawn and all will be good. Jeff wondered for how long he must have been out, surely this distance gave him some doubt. The whole situation, it didn't seem right, he was walking for hours and still it was night. He had no hunger and his feet didn't hurt, it was as if he was walking on a cloud.

To continue walking go to [4], to turn back goto [3].
[close]

Page 3:
Spoiler
Although Jeff had the feeling he had been walking for hours, when he turned back, he was back where he started in just ten minutes. His stomach turned and as did the world, with shaking legs he walked back to his car.

Go to [6].
[close]

Page 4:
Spoiler
Jeff continued his pass and the path looked the same as did the scenery the way he came.

Continue walking go to [4], turn back go to [5].
[close]

Page 5:
Spoiler
He had a bad feeling and hesitated, but finally found the guts to turn his head. What he saw nobody will know, all I know was it meant his sudden death.

Go to [60].
[close]

Page 6:
Spoiler
His car was still where it was before a big tree held it in place, it stopped it from moving ever more.

To follow the car tracks go to [1], to go into the direction of the car go to [16] or to stick around go to [7].
[close]

Page 7:
Spoiler
Jeff did what was told to him when he was little, when you're lost stay put and wait till somebody finds you. His cell phone, destroyed by the accident left him unable to call or play snake for it all. Nothing to do, he had to find ways to kill some time, he couldn't just have sit here till the sun started to shine.

To play tic-tac-toe go to [8], to be bored go to [15].
[close]

Page 8:
Spoiler

[9]| . | .
---+---+---
. |[12]| .
---+---+---
. | . | .
[close]

Page 9:
Spoiler

X | . | .
---+---+---
. | . | .
---+---+---
. | . | .

X | . | .
---+---+---
[11]|[10]| .
---+---+---
O | . | .
[close]

Page 10:
Spoiler

X | . | .
---+---+---
. | X | .
---+---+---
O | . | .

X | . | .
---+---+---
. | X | .
---+---+---
O | . | O

X | . | .
---+---+---
. | X | .
---+---+---
O | X | O

X | O | .
---+---+---
. | X | .
---+---+---
O | X | O

X | O | .
---+---+---
X | X | .
---+---+---
O | X | O

X | O | X
---+---+---
X | X | O
---+---+---
O | X | O

Draw!
To stop go to [7], to play again go to [8].
[close]

Page 11:
Spoiler
X | . | .
---+---+---
X | . | .
---+---+---
O | . | .

X | . | .
---+---+---
X | . | .
---+---+---
O | . | O

X | . | .
---+---+---
X | . | .
---+---+---
O | X | O

X | . | O
---+---+---
X | . | .
---+---+---
O | X | O

X | . | O
---+---+---
X | X | .
---+---+---
O | X | O

X | . | O
---+---+- -
X | X | O
---+---+- -
O | X | O

You lose!

In shear frustration Jeff ran off in the woods. He was not careful and did not see the rock he tripped over, landing head first on to sudden death.

Go to [60].
[close]

Page 12:
Spoiler

. | . | .
---+---+---
. | X | .
---+---+---
. | . | .

. |[14]| O
---+---+---
. | X | .
---+---+---
[13]| . | .
[close]

Page 13:
Spoiler

. | . | O
---+---+---
. | X | .
---+---+---
X | . | .

. | . | O
---+---+---
. | X | .
---+---+---
X | . | O

. | . | O
---+---+---
. | X | X
---+---+---
X | . | O

. | . | O
---+---+---
O | X | X
---+---+---
X | . | O

. | . | O
---+---+---
O | X | X
---+---+---
X | X | O

. | O | O
---+---+---
O | X | X
---+---+---
X | X | O

X | O | O
---+---+---
O | X | X
---+---+---
X | X | O

It's a draw!

To stop go to [7], to play again go to [8].
[close]

Page 14:
Spoiler

. | X | O
---+---+---
. | X | .
---+---+---
. | . | .

. | X | O
---+---+---
. | X | .
---+---+---
. | O | .

X | X | O
---+---+---
. | X | .
---+---+---
. | O | .

X | X | O
---+---+---
. | X | .
---+---+---
. | O | O

X | X | O
---+---+---
. | X | .
---+---+---
X | O | O

X | X | O
---+---+- -
. | X | O
---+---+- -
X | O | O

You lose!

In shear frustration Jeff ran off in the woods. He was not careful and did not see the rock he tripped over, landing head first on to sudden death.

Go to [60].
[close]

Page 15:
Spoiler

He decided to just sit there, looking in front of him, nothing to see except trees everywhere. Slowly he fell to sleep, was it out of boredom, or was there more to it. It did not matter as soon he woke, by something or someone, we'll never know. All what remained was a cry in the night, of a man who will never see again the daylight.

Go to [60].
[close]

Page 16:
Spoiler

The forest gave Jeff the creeps, he did not know why, he felt as if something kept him. He was standing on a road junction, four ways to go, which way should he go.

Go to beginning: [6]
Go left: [17]
Go forward: [25]
Go right: [33]
[close]

Page 17:
Spoiler

Every step he took on this path it looked as if the world around him got darker. The moon was no longer watching over him, the moon was gone. The trees had swallowed it, and Jeff was left in the dark. He kept on walking, because in the distance he saw a light. It looked very eerie, as if it was part of the night.

To turn back, go to [16]. To continue go to [18].
[close]

Page 18:
Spoiler
As Jeff walked toward the gleam, he noticed it did not came from one spot. It was formed by many little lights that glimmered a lot. He was getting close now to the source of the light, and noticed his feet where sinking slight. The soil now was very moist, it must have been marsh lands he was walking on.

To continue walking go to [24], to turn back go to [19].
[close]

Page 19:
Spoiler
Jeff tried to move his feet, but it was as if they where glued to the ground, hastily he tried to turn around but it was to late. He now was on a descent, slow but certain to a unlucky fate.

To call for help go to [20].
To grab a branch go to [21].
To just wait go to [22].
[close]

Page 20:
Spoiler

With the air left in his lungs he yelled as loud as he could the world 'Help' through the woods. He tried it a few more times, and then listened if somebody would reply. Almost he despaired, but then came a woman that offered him a hand, pulled him out of the murky death.

The woman dressed in white, with not even an splat on any side, looked as if she was floating on the murky land.
"Fear not, stranger for I will help you, I will bring you back home, if it is the last thing I do."

To ask the woman for help go to [23].
To thank the woman but continue walking go to [24].
[close]

Page 21:
Spoiler

With the last strength left Jeff grabbed a branch hanging over his head, and started pulling avoiding his death. But luck was not on his hand, the branch snapped slamming him back into the dangerous sand. He sank deeper and deeper until the was nothing left then his sudden death.

Go to [60].
[close]

Page 22:
Spoiler

Jeff felt his life was to an end. It was pointless now to struggle more, go with the flow, leave open the door. Then he felt his body went afloat, up to the surface and soon only his knees where unshowed. He jiggled some more and to it just right, now he was free wandering back through the night.

Go to [24].
[close]

Page 23:
Spoiler
"Thanks many times, for saving my life from a murky death. Please show me the way home." Jeff said. The woman nodded and signaled him to follow, on to the marshland and through winding paths. Then they came near a house, it looked old and weary. He walked toward is but was a bit wary. He turned his head to look for the woman, but she was gone into the night leaving Jeff with a fright.

To enter the house go to [34].
To leave in to the night go to [33].
[close]

Page 24:
Spoiler
The soil was moist and his feet got wet, Jeff didn't let this get to him and continued without regret. Step by step he crossed the marsh, the lights dimmed where ever he set foot, as if they were sent of his presence. The marsh got deeper and deeper until it formed a large fen, the moon reflected in the cold water and was seen again.

To wade the fen go to [32], to go left go to [29], to go right go to [25].
[close]

Page 25:
Spoiler
The moon shows off it's reflection in a large fen, a howl in the night can be heard now and then. In front of him in the water a boat resides, gaining him access to whatever the fen hides. On the other side is a path, where will it lead, Jeff might have a clue, or is his sens of direction bad.

To use the path go to [16], to use the boat go to [31], to wade the fen go to [32], to go left go to [26], to go right go to [30].
[close]

Page 26:
Spoiler
The fen with all it's wetness had eaten then ground forming marshlands all around.

To walk to the marshlands go to [27], to wade the fen go to [32], to go left go to [29], to go right go to [25].
[close]

Page 27:
Spoiler

Jeff tried to move his feet, but it was as if they where glued to the ground, hastily he tried to turn around but it was to late. He now was on a descent, slow but certain to a unlucky fate.

To call for help go to [28].
To grab a branch go to [21].
[close]

Page 28:
Spoiler

With the air left in his lungs he yelled as loud as he could the world 'Help' through the woods. He tried it a few more times, and then listened if somebody would reply. Almost he despaired, but then came a woman that offered him a hand, pulled him out of the murky death.

The woman dressed in white, with not even an splat on any side, looked as if she was floating on the murky land.
"Fear not, stranger for I will help you, I will bring you back home, if it is the last thing I do."

To ask the woman for help go to [23].
To thank the woman but continue walking go to [26].
[close]

Page 29:
Spoiler
He was across the fen, but could not see across. The dark forest and is car aloss. On the other site there was a hedge, with an entrance to a maze, this would most definitely be the next stage.

To enter the maze go to [37], to wade the fen go to [32], to go left go to [30], to go right go to [26].
[close]

Page 30:
Spoiler
This side of the forest was actually quite bright, a large fen would also reflect some light. The was a path leading back into the forest, on the other side of the fen going west.

To use the path go to [35], to wade the fen go to [32], to go left go to [25], to go right go to [29].
[close]

Page 31:
Spoiler

At first it seemed it was a good idea, using the boat to cross the fen, but it was as always to good to be. The boat was half way when it sprung a leak, sinking rapidly in the cold water, it was a grim wreak. Jeff had no chose then to wade.

Go to [32].
[close]

Page 32:
Spoiler
The water was cold, very cold. Jeff lost the feeling in his legs and had the idea he was withhold. He tried to swim but it was to late, he was dragged under water to meet his unfortunate fate.

Go to [60].
[close]

Page 33:
Spoiler
In the nightly forest a house found its place, it looked old and weary but not a disgrace. Jeff wondered if it was inhabited by any person, or if it was left abandoned for the worsen. From the house led three paths, one to the left, another to the behind house, the last one led back.

To enter the house go to [34], left go to [35], right behind go to [38], back go to [16].
[close]

Page 34:
Spoiler

Jeff was really relieved to see a house, and hoped somebody was home, he could use some help, maybe they had a phone. He knocked on the door and waited for a reply, although his hopes were not very high. It appeared he was all alone. He knocked some more on the door, and noticed it was unlocked and had opened up a slight.
He pushed open the door and walked in, the house was dark, Jeff did not know where to begin. At some point he wandered off into the kitchen, he was surprised to inquire a large cauldron hanging above a fire. Suddenly he heard a voice behind him: "Come on, have a scoop, today I'm serving Jeff soup.".

Go to [60].
[close]

Page 35:
Spoiler

In a lonely glade in the forest the moon lit an old well, it looked almost like magic why exactly Jeff couldn't tell. A path appeared from the well to either side, on to the left and one to the right.

To go left go to [30], to go right go to [33], to make a wish go to [36].
[close]

Page 36:
Spoiler
Jeff felt in his pocket and found a coin call, there must have been some luck left after all. He walked to the well, his wish already clear in his mind, read to throw it in he suddenly heard a noise from behind. He did not dare to turn around he felt a push and heard a sound. Jeff felt his descent and knew he would never ever be found.

Go to [60].
[close]

Page 37:
Spoiler

Jeff felt it was an eerie place, in the middle of a forest a dark hedge maze.

North: [49]
East: [40]
South: [29]
West: [39]
[close]

Page 38:
Spoiler

North: [46]
East: [47]
South: [33]
[close]

Page 39:
Spoiler

Dead end!

East: [37]
[close]

Page 40:
Spoiler

North: [45]
East: [41]
West: [37]
[close]

Page 41:
Spoiler

Dead end!

West: [40]
[close]

Page 42:
Spoiler

Dead end!

North: [48]
[close]

Page 43:
Spoiler

Dead end!

North: [50]
[close]

Page 44:
Spoiler

Dead end!

East: [45]
[close]

Page 45:
Spoiler

North: [51]
East: [46]
South: [40]
West: [44]
[close]

Page 46:
Spoiler

North: [53]
East: [47]
South: [38]
West: [45]
[close]

Page 47:
Spoiler

South: [38]
West: [46]
[close]

Page 48:
Spoiler

North: [54]
East: [49]
South: [42]
[close]

Page 49:
Spoiler

South: [37]
West: [48]
[close]

Page 50:
Spoiler

North: [56]
East: [51]
South: [43]
[close]

Page 51:
Spoiler

East: [52]
South: [45]
West: [50]
[close]

Page 52:
Spoiler

Dead end!

East: [51]
[close]

Page 53:
Spoiler

Dead end!

South: [46]
[close]

Page 54:
Spoiler

Dead end!

South: [48]
[close]

Page 55:
Spoiler

Dead end!

East: [56]
[close]

Page 56:
Spoiler

East: [57]
South: [50]
West: [55]
[close]

Page 57:
Spoiler

North: [59]
East: [58]
West: [56]
[close]

Page 58:
Spoiler

Dead end!

West: [57]
[close]

Page 59:
Spoiler
At last an exit in the light forsaken maze, and it might be also and way out of this place. Jeff quickened his pass, the path was narrow and winding a lot. He was smart enough not to look back, he felt as if something was following him on the spot. He felt his heart pounding in his chest, but he knew he was on track, he didn't take a rest. He felt the mysterious force was loosing its grip, every step it got weaker, soon it had to let him slip. Then he saw something ahead and his pass slowed, Jeff now knew he made it, he was safe. In front of him like a black snake through the night was the forsaken road.

He walked on the road, not much later back in civilized world, he could go home now, knowing that the car he lost was the very least of his woes. After this night his life continued happily and merry, remembering that one night now and then, a memory to carry. He grew old and died in peace, that is the end of this story, I hope you enjoyed it very.

[60]
[close]

Page 60:
Spoiler

R.I.P Jeff.
[close]

And as promised:
Walkthrough
Life is like an adventure without the pixel hunts.

Humbolt Steelwheels

Here is my entry (click the image to go to the website with the embedded Flash interpreter):

It contains 30 possible endings, all of which may or may not result in the unfortunate demise of the protagonist.

bspeers

I went way out of control here.  Expect my "entry" sometime in the next 20 hours from this point.
I also really liked my old signature.

Dualnames

Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

Dualnames

Ok, my personal opinions on all of the entries:

Monkey

A quite nice, but shortlike entry. Yet not boring and very enjoyable.

Trihan

An entry well written at some points, and very funny indeed.

Dualnames the bird?!

Wyz

A huge entry and a very action paced one.

Humbolt Steelwheels

Certainly the best presentation of all, and a really funny and well written story:

It was way hard to pick the best, so you might be disappointed.
to see who got third place go to 1
to see who got no awards go to 2

[1]
Spoiler
Third place is awarded to Monkey, which commited suicide later. To see who got second place go to 3, to see who got first place go to 4
[close]

[2]
Spoiler
No awards were for Trihan, but his entry was really good, so he cheered up and went to visit Dualnames the bird.To see who got third place go to 1, to see who got second place go to 3
[close]
[3]
Spoiler
Second place goes to Humbolt Steelwheels, who almost made it there. To see who beat him go to 4
[close]
[4]
Spoiler
First place goes to Wyz, get the no trophy and the honour to host the next competition. Mock your opponents too.
[close]

Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

Trihan

"Flipping the bird" is a slang expression meaning to extend your middle finger in someone's direction. :P

Wyz

Spoiler

Wow, didn't expect to win it actually. Thanks! Really fun competition. I had fun competing and reading the other enties :D
[close]
Life is like an adventure without the pixel hunts.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk