mouse accel in fullscreen

Started by hans80, Sat 18/04/2009 21:19:19

Previous topic - Next topic

hans80

hi guys!

right here's the problem.
i have mouse acceleration (mouse moves travels a long distance if you move the mouse fast - doesn't matter how 'far', maybe just an inch, but fast!) in fullscreen mode of the game.

i know this has been asked before, but it seemed to be marked as a "logitech drivers" bug.

i have a logitech mx500, but i unstalled it completely. i am using the default xp plug&play drivers.
mouse accel is OFF in the setup of the mouse.
i even got the 'cpl mouse regfix' for gamers.

i though at first it was because my game resolution was 640*480, but now its 1024*768
and its still happening.

i'm pretty sure its a AGS bug, since it doesn't happen in window-mode. (or any other game for that matter)

please fix it somehow... with your magic :D

thx

PS: does anyone who doesn't have a logitech mouse have this behaviour? its basically if you can travel from the one edge of the screen to the other with a flick-of-the-wrist. then that's most definitely mouse acceleration.

Pumaman

I have heard this reported by a couple of people before, but because it seems to be hardware-specific it's very difficult to try and reproduce it or fix it.

The way it should work is that DirectX ignores any mouse acceleration settings in Control Panel, and just uses the default provided by the mouse driver. Therefore if you're now using the standard Windows mouse driver it shouldn't be affected, so I'm not really sure what to suggest.

Baffo32

I'm also having this issue.  I have Windows 7 64-bit and AGS 3.1.2.82 . When moved normally, the mouse moves on the screen incredibly slowly, and slightly erratically -- when I speed up the mouse whizzes all over the screen uncontrollably.  It unfortunately makes games unplayable.

Edit: This is an Alienware TactX Mouse using the default windows driver, and it turns out that that default driver is indeed Logitech.

Daniel Thomas

Old post, but It's still valid for me.

Same here, I have always had this with all my mouses. First one was a Razer copperhead and now a Mionix Naos 5000.
It's weird it gets mouse acceleration even though I don't have it on in any drivers.

A long time ago(a couple of years ago), when I first noticed it I read it have something to do with allegro. But since it was such a long time ago it would probably been fixed by now.
Check out The Journey of Iesir Demo | Freelance artist, check out my Portfolio

DoorKnobHandle

Yeah, same here. I have a Razer Deathadder, mouse acceleration is off both in Windows and the mouse driver menu. The mouse is configured perfectly for my needs and it works in every fine everywhere except in AGS games. I'm not even sure if it's acceleration that's the problem to be honest. It just feels off. Like it was much more sensitive when moving along the x-axis or something. Any way to resolve this would be very well appreciated.

subspark

Same here. I have several logictech MX518's and they all seem to display this behavior. I remember asking for help about this last year sometime or before that.
It really drives me nuts.  :=

Sparky.

Wyz

I've had some problems with mouse acceleration of my Logitech mouse when I installed the drivers it came with. The drivers are called 'SetPoint'. When I uninstalled them and set the driver to default Microsoft mouse drivers the problems disappeared. But that doesn't seem to help for you. Hmm maybe check the 'Enhance pointer precision' function and turn it off when it's on.

Life is like an adventure without the pixel hunts.

DoorKnobHandle

That's not the problem, not for me at least. I have it all configured properly and it works fine in every game, program and so on, just not in AGS games. Once again, the problem I'm experiencing doesn't even feel like it "just accidently somehow" uses pointer acceleration, it actually feels more like it has a difference in x and y sensitivity or something. Incredibly hard to explain unfortunately. I also only notice it in 320x200 games (now that I'm thinking about it, will try other resolutions).

subspark

Yea this has been a problem for a long time now. You explain it well dkh. It really does feel more hardwired than a bad conversation with a mouse driver.
I'd be very interested to see what was actually causing this all along.

Sparky.

Baron

Does it not make sense that lower res games have more acceleration?  The smallest movement would be one "pixel", but if that pixel is stretched over a wider area (fullscreen) then the mouse would appear to move faster.  Also screens do not conform to the 320x200 ratio so there's bound to be some stretching at fullscreen, which may account for the apparent x y movement differential.
    I have noticed this phenomenon too, but I always put it down to frame rate.  If you think about how quick a mouse flick is, would the engine really have time to update the mouse position in any visually accurate way even at 40 frames per second?  Has anyone with a faster computer than I tried doubling the frame rate to see if it halves the mouse acceleration?

DoorKnobHandle

I typically set the games I write to run at 100FPS and the effect is still the same. And it also happens when I use a x4 scale filter, so I think it can't be a resolution problem, can it? If it is, I hope there still is a way to work around the problem. In an RTS game I'm writing, it is quite noticeable and annoying when trying to select units in a rapid fashion etc.

subspark

Sorry folks, but it is clearly not a resolution or frame-rate problem. Why? Well, because:
  • My monitor's native resolution is 2560x1600 (8x 320x200 at 16:10) and the problem still persists.
  • The acceleration is not horizontally exclusive, but occurs when starting / stopping mouse movement moving in any direction.
  • If the frame-rate actually did affect the mouse (which it doesn't for obvious reasons) it would cause a uniformly faster mouse but not any faster if moved in a way that triggers acceleration like it does now.

This is a strange behavior for only one program to be doing on our computers. I have ZERO idea what could trigger this.

Sparky.

Dave Gilbert

Sorry to necropost, but was this ever resolved? This issue has been a thorn in our side for a long time now, and usually the "disable mouse acceleration" solution fixes it. But I've got a few Shardlight testers who have this problem and that solution doesn't work anymore.

To specify, this game was compiled in 3.3.3.0.

Edit: In doing some digging, I heard that setting the graphics filter to "none" could also fix the problem. Sadly, that ALSO didn't work. :) Here's some more detail from the player:

Setting it to 'none' caused the game to run in a tiny window while in fullscreen, although the mouse worked beautifully!

When I scale the game bigger and bigger in those options, the problem gets worse. I wonder if this might be something to do with the size of my monitor? It's a rather egregious 2560x1440. Is that perhaps a bit too much for AGS?

Ah, but running it in a window with those options seems to improve things. The mouse is persistently a bit too slow, but no longer accelerating.

Is there any way to get our game to play in full screen mode without the weird mouse acceleration? It's becoming a big problem. :(

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: Dave Gilbert on Sat 16/01/2016 00:04:51
Sorry to necropost, but was this ever resolved? This issue has been a thorn in our side for a long time now, and usually the "disable mouse acceleration" solution fixes it. But I've got a few players now who have this problem and that solution doesn't work anymore.

Yes! It is resolved in upcoming AGS 3.3.5 (currently in Beta state) and we even have Mouse Speed option there.
http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=52925.0
Enjoy :D.

Dave Gilbert

Quote from: Crimson Wizard on Sat 16/01/2016 00:07:08
Quote from: Dave Gilbert on Sat 16/01/2016 00:04:51
Sorry to necropost, but was this ever resolved? This issue has been a thorn in our side for a long time now, and usually the "disable mouse acceleration" solution fixes it. But I've got a few players now who have this problem and that solution doesn't work anymore.

Yes! It is resolved in upcoming AGS 3.3.5 and we even have Mouse Speed option there.
http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=52925.0
Enjoy :D.

Sadly that doesn't help us, since we are launching this version of the game in 2 months and probably shouldn't move to a new version of the engine now. :(

edit: and I realize how much of an entitled jerk I sounded. Apologies for that. Thanks for addressing this! I know it's been an issue for awhile. Is this going to be be in version 3.4 as well?

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: Dave Gilbert on Sat 16/01/2016 00:08:45
Sadly that doesn't help us, since we are launching this version of the game in 2 months and probably shouldn't move to a new version of the engine now. :(

Hmm...
Removing mouse acceleration itself is just couple lines of code, which is possible to add to any version of engine. If it is really important, I could build a "special" release with this fix.
At least your users could check it out and tell if it works for them.
Which version of the engine were you using?

Quote from: Dave Gilbert on Sat 16/01/2016 00:08:45Is this going to be be in version 3.4 as well?
Yes, after we release 3.3.5, all of its contents will be merged to 3.4.0 as well.

Dave Gilbert

That would be GREAT! We use version 3.3.3.0 for Shardlight. I'll check in with the dev.

Dave Gilbert

Crimson Wiz: check your DM if you haven't already. :)

Crimson Wizard

Sorry, I was about to make a version for you.
It is good to hear that you were able to test 3.3.5 out. I actually won't recommend to upgrade a pre-released project to 3.3.5 myself, because it has a serious change that may require a bit of time to get used to.

I will build 3.3.3 with this fix and send you for a test. It would be nice to ask other users (that did not see acceleration as a big problem)) to try that out too, because mouse behavior will be different in fullscreen. I am interested to know if anyone would like acceleration kept, in which case we could consider a config option (this relates to 3.3.5 as well).

If 3.3.3 fix would work, I will release update to both 3.3.3 and 3.3.4 with it.

Cassiebsg

Quote from: Crimson Wizard on Sat 16/01/2016 00:10:37
Yes, after we release 3.3.5, all of its contents will be merged to 3.4.0 as well.

Any idea when 3.4.0 will have the mouse settings?
Just wondering, cause I'm currently designing a settings menu for my game, and I was adding this setting, but couldn't find it in the manual...  Should I just drop it, or do you think it'll be added in the next couple months?
Or I can just leave it, and if it's still not available by the time I'm finished, I'll just remove the setting and release the game without it.
Anyway, thanks all for your hard work. (nod)
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk