Sprite Jellyfish - 5-29 to 6-5: Dithered Aquatic Winner!

Started by Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens, Fri 29/05/2009 22:26:16

Previous topic - Next topic

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

This is Pac-Fish.  He is very lonely.

Sea life can be fun to draw because underwater life comes in so many shapes, sizes, and especially, colors.

You are tasked with the awesome responsibility of creating your own undersea life form that will either be a buddy for Pac-Fish, a predator, or some neutral thing like coral.  Therefore:

1.  Create an aquatic buddy/enemy/other for the lonely Pac-Fish!

2.  Name your aquatic buddy/enemy/other and tell us a bit about it.

3.  Use gradient-style dithering to help shade your aquatic lifeform.

4.  And the most important rule:  Have fun.

Size can be anything, though it would be nice if your creation could fit nicely with Pac-Fish.  Likewise, colors can be anything as long as you employ some clever dithering on the finished product.  You are welcome to draw in either a realistic or cartoony style, so go with whatever interests you most.

monkey0506

As soon as I saw the theme of this week's competition, this guy instantly came to mind. Of course I'm sure everyone here familiar in any way with aquatic life has heard of my dear friend here. Rumoured to have died out in the late 90s, I can certainly attest to one thing: HE LIVES!

His name, for those sad, pitiful individuals whom have never encountered this amazing creature before, is Dopefish. And he's awesome. Despite the fury he may invoke when he keeps eating me. STOP IT! :=

ref

Ghost

Ah, the perfect topic for someone who just *loves* Insaniquarium! (It's also pretty much my first attempt at dithering)
28 colours.

Montastrea Cavernosa aka "Plushy Tentacles"
After a publicity stunt that tragically backfired, Plushy returned to her home down
under the sea, where she lives a happy life as a lead singer in improptu mermaid
choirs. Plushy feeds on small fish and sunlight, and enjoys knitting, papercrafts and
Sudoku.

x2

cat

May I introduce Sammy Seahorse, Pac-Fishs equine sidekick.

x2

This cheerful creature feeds on plankton but refuses to eat fish in respect of his friend.

btw, I also had to think of Commander Keen when I first saw the image

Mad

I present the arch nemesis of Pac-Fish:

He is actually a really nice cephalopod if you get to know him better, he just resents fish stealing all of his pearls...

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

IndieBoy

Quote from: Calin Elephantsittingonface on Tue 08/02/2011 09:00:55
The only person in favour of the mobs seems to be IndieBoy.. but he's scottish so we dont listen to him anyway.

Dualnames

Couldn't help it...

The Babel Fish is small, yellow, and simultaneously translates from one spoken language to another.

When inserted into the ear, its nutrition processes convert sound waves into brain waves, neatly crossing the language divide between any species you should happen to meet whilst travelling in space.

Some say that the evolution of the Babel fish could not have been accidental, and hence that it proves the non-existence of God.

He's stealing pac-fish water bubbles neatness and he's also translating for him.

Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

Arboris

Oy, I'de better hurry if I still want to make it before the deadline.  :-X

Concept shooter. Demo version 1.05

Ponch

The Common Dogfish

From Schulz's Guide To Undersea Wonders (And The Profitability Thereof):
Found throughout the world, the dogfish is renowned for his friendly smile, fuzzy white body, and ease of marketability. This particular specimen of dogfish seems to have grown rather plump from a steady diet of lucrative licensing and endorsement deals.

Like many of his kind, he is accompanied by a small yellow fish. They form some sort of symbiotic relationship that science is still working to understand. But the most widely accepted theory posits that in traveling together, the pair somehow enhance their brand appeal and thus secure for themselves an ever richer diet of residuals and royalties.

Dogfish live a remarkably long time. Indeed, this particular fellow even makes the rather spurious claim to have been a World War One fighting ace who saw action over France against the Red Baron. Dogfish are apparently prone to tall tales as well.

- Ponch
*Yeah, I know he's not really very dithered. I drew this at work on MS Paint. On the other hand, it gave me the excuse to draw Snoopy. He was the first thing I ever learned to draw as a little kid. Charles Schulz made a lot of money off me. :D

Arboris

The Invader-Jelly, thought to be related to the Man o' War. This misterious creature swims through the ocean in a very peculiar way zigzaging from left to right.

Work in progress can be found Here

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

There were lots of nice entries this time around, but my favorite was a toss-up between Squid Ghost and Sammy Seahorse.  Therefore...

SAMMY SEAHORSE IS THE WINNER!

Take it away, keyboard cat.

Arboris

IndieBoy

Congrats Cat. We had some nice entries this competition ;D
Quote from: Calin Elephantsittingonface on Tue 08/02/2011 09:00:55
The only person in favour of the mobs seems to be IndieBoy.. but he's scottish so we dont listen to him anyway.

Ghost

Aye, congratulations to everyione, that was a fun round!

loominous

Aw, always misread these deadlines.

Anyway, here's what would've been my entry:

Nice entries everyone!
Looking for a writer

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

Oh, sorry you didn't get your entry in in time.  I really like the look of your fish, Loominous- reminds me of Merlin's face when he turned into a fish in The Sword in the Stone for some reason.

monkey0506

Congrats cat.

My joke wasn't submitted with the intent to win, but I think it turned out well. Except for the dithering part. I proved quite effectively I don't know how to dither. :D

But although I may not have won....this one thing still rings true...Dopefish lives!

Arboris

Damn, thats an awesome design Loominus. Shame you didn't enter it on time.

cat

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk