Tune contest - Tune JAM (Winner announced)

Started by Wyz, Sat 20/06/2009 14:13:31

Previous topic - Next topic

Wyz

Tune contest - Commercial
The last two tune contests were not a great success, so I hope this one will have more entries.
For this contest you are given a melody you have to implement in your entry in some noticable form. I don't take it very precisely, hence you can move it around to some extent.
There is one more condition: you have to make it a certain genre. You can choose any you like, as long as nobody else picked it first. You are allowed to claim one, but you can't switch after that.

General rules
All entries should be in before July
If your entry is not yet finished, you may enter the incomplete version anyway.
After the deadline I will pick a winner.
The winner has the honor curse of thinking up the next contest.

Melody

Download as midi file...

Good luck!
Life is like an adventure without the pixel hunts.

Haddas

I like the sound of this. I do not yet know what genre it is. We'll know when it's finished

Haddas

Here comes. You'll have to tell me what genre it is. I know nothing about genres.

BOYD1981

Wow, good job Haddas. I have been kinda working on an entry but I doubt I'll finish it.

Limey Lizard, Waste Wizard!
01101101011000010110010001100101001000000111100101101111011101010010000001101100011011110110111101101011

Wyz

Nice one :D
Well, I also find it hard to tell the genre, its crossover. I think I label it 'dance' for now.

@ BOYD1981
Well, don't feel shy about it ;)

Wyz

Two days to go and then this contest closes. Anyone wanting to compete, now is the time :P

BluejeanJedi

This is my first time attempting one of those contests, but it looks like fun.
I am *very* amateur, but I'll do my best! 2 days, huh.... we'll see what happens (and hope nothing explodes).
Since I've been watching old "Star Treks", let's see if I can do some kind of "space opera" type theme song.

Again, watch for explosions. I tend to break things.

Wyz

Well you have to start somewhere :D Always interested in new stuff, good luck.

cuestaluis

Hi!
Here's my entrance: download
I don't think I'll have time to make it fancier  :-[ , and I'm not a professional musician, but I had a lot of fun making this!
I like to think of it as music for a side-scrolling space shoother.

*disclaimer: I'm not responsible for making your ears bleed*

BluejeanJedi

Alright, here is my first entry
I chose a "outer-spacey" sounding piece. I chose each measure and used it as a leaping off point, so I hope it retains enough of what it was.
I tossed in some sound effects for a little ambience. I hope it works out.
It starts a little soft, so be warned...
Thanks!
:)
Here it is: http://www.box.net/shared/a24c1lonay

Really cool entry, Haddas! Lots of fun, and some neat sounds.
8)

Great job, cuestaluis!  :)
I found it hard to stay with in the boundries, so I kept picking apart the melody. But you kept it right in gear.

Edited by mod: Don't triple post within a short period.

cuestaluis

Thanks Blue, I tend to get bored of a sound and end up flaring it too much until it loses unity with the song, I've got to work on that! (I'm still new to digital music making)

I'm really liking the other entries, Haddas' is really powerful, I just love the breaks and pacing. BluejeanJedi's really sets an ambience and I find it inspiring and soothing, it kicks in the right times. Great job you both! :=

BluejeanJedi

Thanks for the kind words!
I'm figuring out things myself. I recently got a sound module, so I can make the midi sounds I use sound a little more distinguished.
But, it still comes down to pounding on a piano until something musical emerges.  :D

Wyz

Ok I needed a while to pick a winner. :D

Haddas:
A nice piece with a few style changes along the ride. This also makes the melody sound less repitive, good job.

cuestaluis:
A nice clean tune with no bullshit which could fit in just nicely with arcade game music. I like the retro sound of it.

BluejeanJedi:
Great song with lots of ambient. Could be the score of a sci-fi series. Very nice!

Winner
It was a hard pick, but I think I go for Haddas. The melody was noticable but not too repitive. Congrats, and good luck with thinking up the next contest! And thanks for entering to the rest, they were very interesting entries!

Haddas

Whoop. I knew I was onto something with that track.

BluejeanJedi

Congrats Cap'n. Twas a really neat piece! ;D

Haddas

Thank you! I will start the next contest as soon as I can come up with a topic that people want to participate in

cuestaluis

TheMagician

musicMan

i had a listen to these tracks and there was some really good work!  i'm not sure that i could match these entries but i wanna try!  so when is the next competition starting?
in the meantime, i would appreciate some feedback on some of my work in the Critics area!

cheers  8)
----------
musicMan

Wyz

Actually, there is a contest running right now. This topic can be closed. :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk