MAGS July (Winner Announced): Competition

Started by Dualnames, Wed 01/07/2009 09:05:52

Previous topic - Next topic

Dualnames

What is MAGS?
MAGS is a monthly competition for all amateur adventure game makers. The idea is to use AGS to create a game in under a month, following the rules set by the previous winner.

For more information please visit the Official MAGS website.

Why should I enter MAGS?
We're not here to tell you that you should enter MAGS, but merely allow it as a creative opportunity to help you work to a deadline, improve your skills, and generally as a good kick-start for the new comers (a.k.a n00bies).

MAGS is the perfect opportunity to make a game, and the wonderful prize is to announce the next month's rules, and all competitors get the game placed on the MAGS website.

MAGS is meant to be fun and is aimed at everyone, despite their skill. If you have poor art skills work on graphics, and vice-versa, as the voting is based on "favourite" games, and not the most artistic, you may get help for the competiton, but should try not get anyone else to do any part of the game for you.

You are not allowed to (re)use material already created before this competition, you game must be completely new! An exception goes for sounds and music where you can also use free material that is available to the public.

Please do not just enter the competition with a rushed entry (a game created in just some hours or a few days)!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Topic: Competition

This month's guidelines were set by last month's winner Tijne:

-The game must be set or involved in a type of competition.  It can be something like a foot-race, beauty contest, or even a sport--  The type of competition may be completely fictitious so long as it has at least one clear winner and loser.

-The player must have a clear definite reason for wanting one particular person to win [or another to lose], like a huge bet on a sports team or a parent who wants his child to win so badly he'll do anything.  The player may be a participant in the competition, but he still needs a reason to win (or to lose).

-The competition should begin soon after the game, or be already started when the game commences.  The game should not end until after the competition's winner/losers have been declared.

-The competition should have a third party who does not care who wins / loses; like an unbiased referee or announcer.

-During some part of the game, something must either happen (or almost happen) that would violate the rules of the game.  You could be the one breaking the rules, or you could be trying to stop/counter someone else who is about to cheat.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Entries:

Billy Boy by Gudforby

Wheel of Torture by Tijne

Voting Finished: Winner Announced:

Billy Boy's Important Wine Lottery by Gudforby

A really close victory to just by one vote.
But a victory is a victory.
Congratulations to winner and runner-up.

Gudforby you've been sent a PM and you have the honour to choose the rules for August's competition!!
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

Dataflashsabot

Woo... this sounds good! :) There's a chance I may enter this one... if only I didn't suck so hard at character animation... :(

KrisMacDee

Could you stretch this 'competition' theme to a court case? :S a la Phoenix Wright?
Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? You're a mile away and you've stolen his shoes! - Billy Connelly

Dualnames

Quote from: KrisMacDee on Thu 02/07/2009 03:20:16
Could you stretch this 'competition' theme to a court case? :S a la Phoenix Wright?

That's not my case, I just post the rules..
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

Leon

I'm not the originator either but when I interpret the guidelines:

You have two parties (prosecutor/defence) and an unbiased referee (judge). You have a reason for wanting to win (I guess). So as long as you cheat with the evidence or bribe the witnesses and make sure the court-session is over within the game, I can't see why not..
Ultimate Game Solutions - Because there is a solution for everything

Dualnames

Quote from: Leon on Thu 02/07/2009 15:29:43

I'm not the originator either but when I interpret the guidelines:

You have two parties (prosecutor/defence) and an unbiased referee (judge). You have a reason for wanting to win (I guess). So as long as you cheat with the evidence or bribe the witnesses and make sure the court-session is over within the game, I can't see why not..

The rules are not to be followed strictly..indeed.

KrisMacDee

Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? You're a mile away and you've stolen his shoes! - Billy Connelly

Dualnames

Gudforby

I'll post a game in a few days. My first entry to MAGS, and my first self-made game EVER.

Dualnames

Quote from: Gudforby on Sun 19/07/2009 21:31:16
I'll post a game in a few days. My first entry to MAGS, and my first self-made game EVER.

Good to see a newcomer would want to join the MAGS.. :D One promised entry..

Tijne

~40 hours left...

I'll post my entry at the very, very second to last minute.. :D

Gudforby

Then it's finally here, and I give to you: Billy Boy's Important Wine Lottery!

Story:
Billy needs a wine. Quick! Or Cournal Jackson will have to watch Sex and the City all by himself. Luckily it's friday at work, whick means it's wine lottery time. It's time to play some pranks to get that wine.

Download from GAME PAGE

Leon

Looking awesome..
Playing now.. telling later. Congratulations already with this release.

Tijne

Wheh!  Made it!...

Wheel of Torture (~15MB)

After the death of his beloved lover, our hero The Bard, undertakes a quest to bring her back to life.  After five years, he discovers a game-show-esque competition held once a year.  The winner of this rare competition gets a single wish, -any wish-, granted.
Hoping to use this wish to be reunited with his long-gone loved one, our hero is tasked with winning this mentally and physically challenging game.  With very little to lose, and just about everything to gain, our hero will do whatever he must to be victorious....

... If it's possible to be victorious...

WARNINGS:
This game contains:
   --Blood
   --Graphic violence
   --Possible Deaths  (This ties in with the first two.)
   --'Slightly' multiple solutions (to select puzzles).
   --Generally not easy puzzles.
   --A very difficult / obscure puzzle....  (Or Two...)
   --No Hint System (Sorry!  Ran out of time. :( )
   --References to Grapefruit.
   --And Mischievous bugs (Of all kinds!)

A lot of backgrounds for this game are a range of dark-blue; it may be difficult to play with an older moniter as this particular range of shades may appear to be pure black on some moniters.  Sorry if this applies to you! =(

It is reccomended you play with sound.  You're a bard!  Your life is music!.  Maybe a puzzle or two is musical*.. who knows!...

*Tijne doe not guarantee any musical puzzle of any sort within the game.  References to a possible musical puzzle are only implied.  We are not responsible for any loss of hair, sleep, or heartache due to failing to provide / find a musical puzzle within the above game.  Proceed at your own musical risk.

Dualnames

Great entries people.. there's some competition indeed. By normal conditions all entries must be posted on the next 14 hours. Tomorrow morning I'll have the vote running from 26th to 29th, and then again from 30 to 31, winner must choose a theme and let me know.

Hope you all guys are having fun!

PS: Anyone is bloody welcome to post a comment on the games. As long as it's not rubbish.

Tijne

I loved the jokes in your game Gudforby, I laughed more than I probably should have. xD

Hey Dual, were you able to come up with some comment-feature for the voting? :D

Gudforby

Thanks very much Tijne! I'm very happy for such positive feedback on my very first finished AGS game. As you probably get I'm inspired by the Monkey Island games as deep as possible......
I must admit that I haven't finished your game yet, but tomorrow is a new day, and so far it looks deep, dark and promising.

Gudforby

and I also have to add I hope some more games will be posted.
This round of MAGS was really open in terms of interpretation, so I hope some more games will be posted in the last few hours.

Dualnames

Quote from: Tijne on Sun 26/07/2009 01:30:20
Hey Dual, were you able to come up with some comment-feature for the voting? :D

To be honest, I totally forgot it  ;D. It's a really nice idea, but something still bugs me, people said that we shouldn't comment here because it affects votes, perhaps allow comments there, but show them only after vote is done? I personally don't think it affects votes that much..

But I promise to really work on it. ;)

Now to BUSINESS!!
Voting:

For voting please visit the MAGS site or make your choice right here:

Billy Boy's Important Wine Lottery by Gudforby

Wheel of Torture by Tijne

Please vote only once and be sure to have played all games before sending your voice! Good luck to all participants.

Vote from 26th till 29th:
Voting lasts for 62 hours from the timestamp of this post.

Leon

That's why I'm keeping quiet until after voting...  :P
Don't want to cause a row again..  ;D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk