Animation Competition: Burn Baby Burn! 02/07/09-16/07/09

Started by IndieBoy, Fri 03/07/2009 00:48:59

Previous topic - Next topic

IndieBoy

Attention!

I want to try something new with this competiton, and hopefully it will stir up a bit more interest than the previous animation contests. I felt the previous competitions were about making animated shorts than actually animating a sprite and that's why I think there was such a low interest. I do have permission to start this thread and revamp the competition.. sort of.... but if I hear any objections then I will happily hand the cursed competition over to the willing party.

Rules:

• Animate a sprite of your own or of the one given.
  • The animation must be based on the rules given.
  • The competition will last 2 weeks and the host will decide the winner/host of the next competition.

Theme:
FIRE!

I want to see some fire animations. Either if it is a burning torch, candle, flamethrower, anything as long its an open flame.

Supplied Sprite:
NB: You don't need to use this. I would actually rather see other sprites than this one, although it the quality of the animation that will be judged.

I want this competition to be about developing your own skills. Hopefully the future competitions set will be about animations you are likely to do when you make an adventure game.

Edited by mod: Fixed dates in the subject. Was amusing for a while. :=
Quote from: Calin Elephantsittingonface on Tue 08/02/2011 09:00:55
The only person in favour of the mobs seems to be IndieBoy.. but he's scottish so we dont listen to him anyway.

rharpe

Quote from: IndieBoy on Fri 03/07/2009 00:48:59
I do have permission to start this thread and revamp the competition.. sort of....
You've got MY ok... :D

Can someone lock the old one I started please!?
"Hail to the king, baby!"

Misj'

Yes, finally! - An Animation Competition that I can join.

I first created a quick and dirty (stick-figure) walkcycle of a man walking with a torch as a base for the animation. It's very simplistic, but I needed a base for the flame-animation. The length of the flame-loop is equal to that of the (half) walkcycle itself (2x8 frames) to make it more usable in-game.

Animation of man walking with torch (reduced colours due to GIF-compression):

-- click image for animation of flame alone --

Image sequence (the glow of the flame was done automatically by but is slightly cropped off in this image sequence):

-- click image for large version (drawn at 3x the size of the final animation!) --

On a sidenote: must-read for people interested in special effects animation: Elemental Magic: The Art of Special Effects Animation by Joseph Gilland

IndieBoy

Come on guys. I'm trying to revive the competition, not kill it.

Misj' awesome entry. Maybe too awesome.

2 days!
The only person in favour of the mobs seems to be IndieBoy.. but he's scottish so we dont listen to him anyway.

Matti

I just made this for my current game. Nothing spectacular, but why not participate.

x2:

Ghost

Burn Baby Buuurn!

x2

... what?

IndieBoy

Well thanks guys for entering.

Misj': I love your cartoony style and seing it animated makes it even more great! Also you have given two animations for the price of one so very nice entry.
Mr Matti: I really like the "take off" kind of burst of flame you have animated, very realistic. Also good luck with your game. This being an actual game animation just proves my point of this competition's theme; that a lot of people will end up animating fire in their games.
Ghost: Thank you for taking my competition so seriously and to the letter :P Actually I really like your animation and just shows that are loads of possible entries for my competition. Also the sprite's expression is brilliant.

So a little less of a turn out than what I expected, however this competition has had more interest than the past couple so I should be positive.

But the winner is:

Spoiler
Misj'
[close]

Thanks for the entries guys and let's hope that the future competitions will be run along the same lines and has some more interest. I'm really looking for the next competition.

Good Job!

Misj'

I'll start a new competition shortly

Ps. Ghost, great work on the baby-burn. Matti, I think it should work really well in-game....great job!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk