Tune Contest August - Old School - Winner Announced

Started by Helme, Sun 09/08/2009 12:41:59

Previous topic - Next topic

Helme

So, this is the first time to host a competition for me. I hope the idea is new for a competition.

Create music that sounds typical for a certain decade between 1900-2000.

For example you can:
- swing like the thirties
- rock'n'roll like the fifties
- synthesize like the eighties

Minimum lenght of the music is one minute.

I hope this isn't too hard and that there will be some entries.

Old skool rulez

DoorKnobHandle

I don't believe you wrote and produced that almost 3-minute song that sounds like it came out of a professional studio in less than 6 hours.

Old skool rulez

it took about 2 days actually but is one of my old tracks is this not aloud? just thought it fitted the comp just nice if this is not allowed i will write another one ;D

Helme

It is allowed to use old material, if it's not an old competition entry.
Actually, I won the last competition with an song, that was about a year old.

DoorKnobHandle

I think it's not disallowed, just not encouraged either, usually you can't even do it because the theme requires you to work on something special and it's unlikely you did that before. This round has very open rules, however, so it is possible.

I think we should be careful not to let this slip into a "who-can-post-the-greatest-song-they-once-made" competition and keep it a real one. If people posted backgrounds in the background competition, for example, from months or years ago, the best artists on the board would always win, they just had to blow the dust off of something they create in the past.

Nice song, though, totally liked it.

Old skool rulez

I think we should be careful not to let this slip into a "who-can-post-the-greatest-song-they-once-made"

not being funny but this was made as a bit  of fun years ago for a big trouble in little china fan site my standard now is much higher i think your comments are a little offensive and without meaning to sound big headed this is not even 1% of what i can do now given a day or so making out im a one trick pony is quiet offensive

Wyz

I've got a load of eighties like songs ready, but I think I'll make a new one when I've got time. :)
Life is like an adventure without the pixel hunts.

DoorKnobHandle

Quote from: Old skool rulez on Sun 09/08/2009 19:36:13
not being funny but this was made as a bit  of fun years ago for a big trouble in little china fan site my standard now is much higher i think your comments are a little offensive and without meaning to sound big headed this is not even 1% of what i can do now given a day or so making outI'm a one trick pony is quiet offensive

I never said you were a one trick pony, where do you even get that from?

I didn't offend you either. Actually, I said:

Nice song, though, totally liked it.

...and...

[...] sounds like it came out of a professional studio [...]

In fact, you actually thanked me for these compliments before editing your message into what it is now.

When I said "I think we should be careful not to let this slip into a 'who-can-post-the-greatest-song-they-once-made'", I really meant I think. It's my opinion that people posting several-year-old and already perfectionized songs only few hours after the theme was set hurts the competition as it demotivates others and just isn't really fair to people actually trying to come up with something matching in quality in the actual time that is given in the competition. I'm not even talking about you specifically, it's a trend that I see going on and I'm criticizing that, no reason for hurt feelings.

Old skool rulez

i thanked you before the rage set in lol anyway lets forget about it I'm a little touchy thats all

Helme

I forgot to say the deadline. The deadline is 29.8. Should be enough to judge the entries until the 31.8.
I hope there will be some more until then.

Helme

Puh... not much going on in this competition...
Is anyone working on an entry?

@old skool rulez
Your file on yousendit has expired. Please re-up it.

Wyz

Yes, I'm working on one actually :)

Update:
All done! Turned out better then I'd expected. :D
Distant Destination - 4:09

Helme

Well, it's not very satisfying to announce the winner, for one reason. old skood rulez entry is not downloadable at the moment. I listened to it some weeks ago, but I can vagly recall, how it sounded.

So, there's only one entry left: So congratulations to Wyz!
With the right vocals it would fit very good to the synthi-pop sounds of the eighties, so it's a worthy winner.

Wyz

Thanks!

Ow, that's too bad of the other entry, but oh well. I had fun making the tune. :)

Helme

Wyz

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk