Background Blitz - ends Semptember 5th - Voting!

Started by nihilyst, Wed 19/08/2009 14:43:18

Previous topic - Next topic

nihilyst

To keep it short and simple. This Blitz's theme is anything incorporating one or more of the four seasons.

Limitations: your background has to be AGS-compatible.

Voting starts Saturday, September 5th.

And now let's have fun!

cheers
nihilyst

cuestaluis

Awesome, I'm in.
Also, congrats on winning the last one! I feel bad for not being able to communicate, but it was practically impossible. Due to the lack of a decent internet connection out on the woods I was forced to tether my iPhone as a modem, horrible experience.
Also I'm drunk, again. Expect my entry by wednesday (will edit this same post for space's sake).

Once again, congratulations, and my most sincere apologies to everyone.

OneDollar

This is my first background blitz entry, I was looking for something to practice using my new graphics tablet with and thought I may as well enter. Spent far longer on the non autumnal parts of the background, but hopefully it's seasonal enough for you.

Size: 320x240 (resized to double for clarity)
Colours: A fair few (not 256!)

Chicky

That's awesome OneDollar! I really like the cityscape.

nihilyst

As I'm on another holiday from thursday on, could a moderator kindly take over this BB, please?

Gilbert

Okay. I'll try to manage the voting process then. :)

Pinback

Whew, thought I was gonna miss the deadline for a while there.
I did this in around ten hours starting this morning, pencil and mouse only. 

Season: Winter

Size: 800x600

Colors: 32 bit

Atelier

:-\ You're a very good artist Pinback, but then again so is OneDollar... You've made it tough for me to cast my votes. :)

Pinback

Yeah, old school charm vs. new school dynamics is a tough call indeed.

OneDollar

That's a *really* nice background there Pinback.

Chicky

Pinback

Thanks Onedollar,
I really like yours too dude.

And yes someone give me a tablet. Or some paper even, I could really use a sheet of cold pressed cotton duck.
Sweet cotton duck, it feels like satin under my fingertips... Mmmmmmm. It's the paper of kings.

Atelier

:'( That's the most romantic description of paper I've ever heard.

Gilbert

Bulbapuck

Tough call on this one, they're both sooooo good! :D :D :D
However my vote goes to Pinback because I love the style. To me, it really feels alive somehow. I can't really explain it.

Edit:
oh, categories, right := (Thanks Gilbet)

Idea: Pinback At the roof of a clocktower, in the middle of winter, with an airballoon. Need I say more? ;D

Atmosphere: Pinback As I wrote before editing, Pinback's entry feels alive somehow..

Composition: OneDollar I don't know much about composition, but I know that 1$'s entry is well compositioned 8)

Functionality: Pinback This one was really hard, but I think it came down to which one I wanted to play the most. And there, Pinback wins by a thread.

Great job guys :)

Atelier

Here we go, I missed the last one for voting but I'll pick up again here. Not too sure whether the category thing applies this round but I'll use it to help me choose somebody. :)

Idea: Pinback
Pinback's idea for the background isn't clear to me, which is the idea. There seems to be a notice for selling something, and I can see a patchy balloon and an ancient clocktower. You can make anything you like out of it I guess.
Atmosphere: Pinback
Reminds me of something from a Christmas Carol or It's A Wonderful Life. The funny machine automatically gives it a fantasy aura, or maybe the rooftop is a retreat for some recluse inventor?
Composition: OneDollar
The cityscape bordered by the two trees works really well. It first draws your attention away from the trees, thus creating a subtle autumnal look.
Functionality: OneDollar
The areas are particularly well defined. While this is also true in Pinback's entry, my decision is solely on the size and positioning.

Coincidentally that seems to draw them both equal. This is a hard one, but by personal preference to the style I'll have to vote for Pinback. I would <3 to see you make a game!

Well done and good luck still, because voting is still open so anything can happen!

Gilbert

Well, the host did not specify whether he wanted categories or not, but since most Blitz voting came with categories I'll consider we use categories here. Just use the four AtlierGames is using.

@Bulbapuck: You may update your vote with categories if you like, or else I'll consider your vote for each category goes to the same person.

Gilbert

Alright. It's been a week and seems that few people were interested in voting.
Anyway, this has to end, even though only two people have voted.

Idea: Pinback got both votes.
Atmosphere: Pinback got both votes.
Composition: One Dollar got both votes.
Functionality: It is a tie between Pinback and OneDollar.

Altogether Pinback got 5 votes, while OneDollar got three.

We have a clear winner: Pinback! :D
Also, thank OneDollar for entering also and your votes are actually quite close.

So, Pinback, you may host the next round. :)

Misj'

Quote from: Gilbet V7000a on Sat 12/09/2009 17:44:27Alright. It's been a week and seems that few people were interested in voting.
Anyway, this has to end, even though only two people have voted.

Woops...sorry, I kinda forgot about this one (but I'll try to enter the next one if I find the inspiration and time). Both entries were very nice!

Anyway, congratulations Pinback.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk