• Dislocation was made by Creamy, Silverspook and Eleusis
  • Flophouse Hijinks was made by Ponch, kconan and MiteWiseacreLives
  • Hybrid was made by yamipanda and selmiak
  • Rogered was made by Mandle
  • Sunrise Paradise was made by Cuiki and Ultra Magnus
  • The Quiet Game was made by Gfreezie
  • UNCONTROLLABLE was made by Ghost

Here are your winners

*****************************************************************************************************************************************************

Best Game:

Winner: Flophouse Hijinks by Ponch, kconan and MiteWiseacreLives
2nd place: Cornelius Cat in: The Uncontrollable Pest
3rd place: The Quiet Game

*****************************************************************************************************************************************************

Best Concept/script:

Winner: Rogered by Mandle
2nd place: Tie between Cornelius Cat in: The Uncontrollable Pest, Flophouse Hijinks and Dislocation

Best Graphics:

Winner: Hybrid by yamipanda and selmiak
2nd place: Alien Escapade
3rd place: Cornelius Cat in: The Uncontrollable Pest

Best Music/sound design:

Winner: The Quiet Game by Gfreezie
2nd place: Cornelius Cat in: The Uncontrollable Pest
3rd place: Hybrid

Best Scripting:

Winner: Alien Escapade by Wyz, Baron and Handsfree
2nd place: Flophouse Hijinks
3rd place: tie between: Dislocation and The Quiet Game

Best interpretation of the theme:

Winner: Crash Course by Wyz, Baron and Handsfree
2nd place: Sunrise Paradise
3rd place: Alien Escapade

Worst abuse of the theme:

Winner: UNCONTROLLABLE by Ghost
2nd place: The Quiet Game
3rd place: Rogered

Congratulations Team Party Wagon!

Thank you all for entering and voting, it made my part as the host so much fun to do :)

There was an option to leave a comment when voting, some were messages to me but every comment that were about the games was very positive, often surprised at how great the quality of this OROW was. I can only agree, you guys did a fantastic job.

Let's not wait two more years for the next one :grin:

Quote from: old post
OROW 9 is officially underway! :grin:
The theme set by previous winner qptain nemo is:

Uncontrollable

Deadline is midnigth GMT between the 30th and 31st of August: http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/to?iso=20150831T02&p0=291&msg=OROW+Deadline&font=cursive&csz=1
I wish you all the best of luck! :)

There are a few differences this time, the main one being a theme. More on this below. First some rules that were copy/pasted and adapted from the previous OROW with cat as the host:

The OROW competition is a very simple competition were you make a game that is one room big in just one week. This competition has in the past proven what the members of this community are capable of, and it will be interesting to see what comes of this.

Rules:

• Entries must be made using AGS.
  • Entries should have only one playable room/location. *)
  • Entries may use content from any public source. But be transparent about it (e.g. "Music by Kevin MacLeod from incomptech.com")
  • Entries may have cut scenes, menus or limited controlled sequences outside the main room.
  • Entries must be submitted anonymously, more on that below.
  • There will be a theme announced on midnight GMT between the 23rd and the 24th of August.
  • You may get other people to help you with your game (e.g. music, sounds).
  • No maximum teamsize this time, but bear i mind that it can be tricky to manage a large team

*) This means a room in real-life definition, not an AGS room. So feel free to do close-ups, different views of the same room, scrolling rooms, outdoor scenes,... The main purpose of this rule is to keep it small and simple. Making a game in one week is an enormous task so starting small is a good way to actually finish it in time. We are not too strict about this rule, though.

Anonymous submission
An important aspect in this competition is the anonymity. This means that you cannot share any information about your entry. Nor can your game contain your name. This is because the game should be voted on by its own merits. Please also not include your name in the game info, as this can be seen in the file info.

You submit the game by sending me a link via PM. I will then upload it to another site.

The theme:
This is, as mentioned, the biggest difference between this OROW and the prior ones. Just before the competition officially starts a theme will be presented. The main purpose of this is to provide inspiration and perhaps turn this OROW as a competition into something more memorable. You will not be disqualified for not following the theme, just like you won't get disqualified if there is more than one room. However in voting there will be a category for "Best interpretation of the theme" and also a more jokingly one for "Worst abuse of the theme" (thanks Radiant ^^)

Voting
The categories for voting are as follows:

• Best game,
  • Best concept/script,
  • Best graphics,
  • Best music/sound design,
  • Best scripting,
  • Best interpretation of the theme and
  • Worst abuse of the theme.
Looking for a team? Here's an OROW dating thread: http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=52517.0

The OROW starts officially at midnight (GMT) between the 23rd and 24th of August. You should not start making your game until then. Even if you think you have no chance of winning, you're encouraged to enter - it's as much a forum activity as a contest.

Absolutely no information about your game should be shared with anyone until the competition and voting has ended. Please reply to this post if you intend to take part, but don't give any idea of what your game will be about.

Good luck and have fun :grin:

cat

Awesome, looking forward to it! ;-D

Ponch

Quote from: Bulbapuck on Sun 16/08/2015 13:06:12

-You may get one other person to help you with your game (e.g. music, sounds).
    -No maximum teamsize this time, but bear i mind that it can be tricky to manage a large team

Aren't these rules a little contradictory? Or am I misreading them? :confused:

Bulbapuck

Quote from: Ponch on Sun 16/08/2015 18:32:48

-You may get one other person to help you with your game (e.g. music, sounds).
    -No maximum teamsize this time, but bear i mind that it can be tricky to manage a large team

Aren't these rules a little contradictory? Or am I misreading them? :confused:

Ah, yes. Didn't read through that line carefully enough before changing it. It's fixed now.

To clarify: There is no maximum team size.

Radiant

-Entries must not use any premade content except published AGS templates, modules and plugins.
That's unfortunate; I was hoping we would stick with last year's rule that did allow for public/open content. I'm afraid this will make it hard for me to participate; could we please have the earlier rule back that has no such restriction?

cat

Last OROW's rules were exactly like that, no premade content. Why don't you team up with someone who can do art or music?

Radiant

Quote from: cat on Mon 17/08/2015 09:02:12
Last OROW's rules were exactly like that, no premade content. Why don't you team up with someone who can do art or music?
The last OROW had only three restrictions: (1) use AGS, (2) one room, but can have cutscenes, (3) must be anonymous. No rules about content that I could find.

Bulbapuck

Quote from: Radiant on Mon 17/08/2015 08:46:20
    -Entries must not use any premade content except published AGS templates, modules and plugins.
That's unfortunate; I was hoping we would stick with last year's rule that did allow for public/open content. I'm afraid this will make it hard for me to participate; could we please have the earlier rule back that has no such restriction?

Apologies, I didn't actually realize that rule had changed between orow 7 and 8.
The last OROW is here btw: http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=48409.0

I've been having some neck pains so I made this thread really quickly, but maybe I didn't think through the rules thouroughly. I'm see no problem with using open source stuff, as long as it's transparent. So I'll change that, espetially since I kinda promised you that would be okay.

I've read through the rules like 8 times now, so no more changes after this.

Radiant

Thank you!

Sorry Cat, I was taking my information from the AGSwiki, which doesn't list the last OROW (and links to our old domain, bigbluecup.com too).

cat

Quote from: Radiant on Mon 17/08/2015 09:13:05
The last OROW had only three restrictions: (1) use AGS, (2) one room, but can have cutscenes, (3) must be anonymous. No rules about content that I could find.
This was not last OROW. Last OROW (http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=48409.0) had the rule with no premade material and you participated. So either you were fine with this limitation back then or you cheated.

Entries may use content from any source, including pre-made.
I think this should be limited to public available material.

Bulbapuck

Quote from: cat on Mon 17/08/2015 09:45:09
Entries may use content from any source, including pre-made.
I think this should be limited to public available material.

Ah, yes. That's what I meant but not what I wrote. So that's the final change I make to the rules (I hope), thank you :)

xil

Yea last time I quite enjoyed the fact that I even had to make my own sound effects, but, in truth, when we only have a week to make something, I think using things like publicly available free sound effects allows better games to be made and better graphics to be created, so I'm fine with this rule.

Obviously no pre-made stuff apart from modules etc I agree with as well as that's kind of missing the point of a Game Jam if you can make it all beforehand! ;)
Calico Reverie - Independent Game Development, Pixel Art & Other Stuff
Games: Mi - Starlit Grave - IAMJASON - Aractaur - blind to siberia - Wrong Channel - Memoriae - Point Of No Return

The Great Underground Empire

Oh man...I really really want to do this.  I'm going to push hard to finish MAGS in time.

Baron

I'm in.  As long as I can find a date. :)

WHAM

Awww poo.
I'm swamped with MAGS this month, so no way I can do an OROW game as well. :(
Wrongthinker and anticitizen one. Pending removal to memory hole. | WHAMGAMES proudly presents: The Night Falls, a community roleplaying game

Igor Hardy

I'm in. As long as I get a shot at the "Worst abuse of the team" category.

Team, be very very afraid!

Baron

Igor!!  Welcome back, buddy!  I look forward to the result of your team abuse. ;-D

Igor Hardy

And so we meet again at last, Alex!

Nice of you to still recall our philosophical dates together. I too remember when your spoke to me in that whispered, sizzling voice that sounded exactly like a cheap drink... Or was it the booze container that mysteriously talked with your voice? My memory is kind of hazy.

Baron

We had quite the discussions, I recall.  But that was MAGS, a languid and tranquil competition, where the hours seem to draw out like long summer days.  In OROW there will be no time for words -only action! 8-)

Ponch

Quote from: Baron on Fri 21/08/2015 04:17:35
We had quite the discussions, I recall.  But that was MAGS, a languid and tranquil competition, where the hours seem to draw out like long summer days.  In OROW there will be no time for words -only action! 8-)
Sexy action!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk