Maniac Mansion - Dott-Style (still in business!)

Started by Mister L, Tue 03/11/2009 10:34:41

Previous topic - Next topic

Mandle

Quote from: ediKru on Fri 04/07/2014 09:34:37
The game is making progress, at the moment there are 8128 sprites in the game.

Since most of the animations have to be done seven times (one version for each kid) there is still much work to do in the animation department. So we're always looking for help with animations.
To fasten thinks up we also could use somebody who is interested in creating a cutscene (such as the Edsel flying away, the house exploding, ... something that can be created separately and independent from the rest of the game) that will require animation, background and scripting work.
So if anyone reading this can spare some time and is interested, just write me a PM. Thanks!

This looks absolutely INCREDIBLE!!!

I've seen many people do a recreation retro-style of an old game but I have NEVER seen anyone attempt to update an old-school game and bump it up to the level of its sequel!!!

Seriously guys...If this gets finished...You MUST find a way to directly send it to Lucas himself!!!

He was always the guy with the big LUCAS stamp that had to be on everything until it made it through to the final production, so you gotta KNOW he played and replayed DOTT until it was just right...

You guys just may be able to get him to reopen LucasArts Adventure Games for this one release...

If only you could break into Skywalker Ranch somehow:

Spoiler

[close]

Guybrush Nosehair

Quote from: Mandle
Seriously guys...If this gets finished...You MUST find a way to directly send it to Lucas himself!!!

He was always the guy with the big LUCAS stamp that had to be on everything until it made it through to the final production, so you gotta KNOW he played and replayed DOTT until it was just right...

You guys just may be able to get him to reopen LucasArts Adventure Games for this one release...

Umm... Actually, I'm fairly certain I've heard/read in interviews of various former LucasArts employees that George Lucas had virtually nothing to do with the gaming department, possibly barring some Star Wars titles. I could be wrong, but I seriously doubt George Lucas has ever played DOTT for even a minute in his life. Hell, he probably wouldn't even know what it was if you mentioned it to him. Perhaps I'm just being cynical, I don't know.

On a side note, a LA employee mentioned in an interview shortly after the shutdown that they actually had been working on an enhanced DOTT (like the Monkey Island remakes), and that it was well-underway.

doctorfargo

Quote from: Guybrush Nosehair on Sun 06/07/2014 19:49:19
Quote from: Mandle

Umm... Actually, I'm fairly certain I've heard/read in interviews of various former LucasArts employees that George Lucas had virtually nothing to do with the gaming department, possibly barring some Star Wars titles. I could be wrong, but I seriously doubt George Lucas has ever played DOTT for even a minute in his life. Hell, he probably wouldn't even know what it was if you mentioned it to him. Perhaps I'm just being cynical, I don't know.

I was going to make a similar comment. From what I've read, Lucas would stop by once in a great while, but was mostly hands off. Stephen Spielberg was more involved with dropping by to see what was going on and to see what games were in production. I believe that there was some game design related decisions that had to go to Lucas himself for ultimate approval - like the fact that Indy could die in the Indy adventure games. Lucas probably had very little if nothing to do with DOTT as it was not connected to any of his film material such as Star Wars or Indiana Jones.

Secret Fawful

Spielberg is the one who played adventure games, not Lucas.

Mandle

Quote from: Secret Fawful on Sun 06/07/2014 21:25:36
Spielberg is the one who played adventure games, not Lucas.

Oops....thanks for clearing that up guys!

Well even better then! He makes much better movies in any case!

Darth Mandarb

Good... now we can go back to talking about this game in production...

fischkopf

So... has anything happened in the last 5 months?

ediKru

Quote from: fischkopf on Mon 01/12/2014 20:19:08
So... has anything happened in the last 5 months?

There had been some progess, but not as much as it had been in the first half of this year. Around 500 more sprites have found their way into the game since last update. Most work was bugfixing and working on details.
There is still much more help needed in the animation department. Some guys have contributed some amazing animation work - but especially animation work is very slow at the moment.

Darth Mandarb

fischkopf - please read the forum rules before digging up any more threads!

I<3Pindorama!

The characterization of personages to the DOT style are clean.
I look at them and i think: this is how it would be! Amazing!

DOnT sTOP!

aikex222

Just have two word to say about this.
Gorgeous
nostalgic

Mister L

We had a small update recently on our website:

http://www.night-of-the-meteor.de/

As always, we could use more help with the animations... ;)

"Don't forget the stamps!"

arj0n

I was just checking here for news a few hours back :)
Awesome it's still in production and progressing!

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

Frodo

Great to know this is still being worked on.  :cheesy:

Maniac Mansion is my all-time favourite game  :grin:

Surdy

Keep up the good work, Mister L & I will help you with a translation ;)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk