Started by Le Woltaire, Tue 03/11/2009 20:45:49

Previous topic - Next topic

Le Woltaire

Please read this medieval music and make an electronic piece of the material:

Use this table to get along with the above:

Calin Leafshade

wow you dont fuck around.

Are you kidding?

How many people do you think can read Neumatic notation?

Le Woltaire

Well...
People like puzzling here.
Think as if it would be part of an adventure puzzle...

discordance

Calin Leafshade

Quote from: Le Woltaire on Tue 03/11/2009 21:29:10
Well...
People like puzzling here.
Think as if it would be part of an adventure puzzle...

Fair enough. I accept your challenge!

Have at thee!

Le Woltaire

@discordance
Hmm...dunno...you can always try!

Bror_Jon

I saw the topic and thought: Yeah I wanna be in this contest!
Then I saw the notation, and I cried.  :'(
Quote from: monkey_05_06
I officially love you good sir, Always and Eternally.

boojiboy

It's hard enough getting entries for a simple topic, this one is way too exclusive.

Obviously I will not be entering this one.

Kastchey

Uh.. maybe I'm not really a master when it comes to reading musical notes and generally you all know better than me, but this doesn't seem that complicated if you put a little effort into it.
Spoiler
There's a Wiki entry with a translation of neumes and I even found a few midi versions of Ad Te levavi animam after a minute of googling... and yeah, a modern interpretation in pdf version too. Shouldn't that give a hint?
[close]

Al_Ninio

The rules broke my head so I made this.
That, in turn, broke my ears.

boojiboy

Quote from: Kastchey on Wed 04/11/2009 09:25:22
Uh.. maybe I'm not really a master when it comes to reading musical notes and generally you all know better than me, but this doesn't seem that complicated if you put a little effort into it.

I think the point is that some of us DON'T know better than you. I can barely read sheet music let alone decipher any of this. And that table? How is that supposed to help? Oh right that symbol means Punstum St Gallen! Of course!

Congratulations on finding a midi ( I haven't been able to yet) but that should've been provided with the description. It's not really a puzzle either is it? I mean, what kind of puzzle requires that kind of acquired knowledge, or at least a bunch of research. Call me crazy but I just wanna make some music.

This competition makes me feel stupid. Which I'm not.

FSi++

Le Woltaire

Quote from: boojiboy on Wed 04/11/2009 11:42:24

Congratulations on finding a midi ( I haven't been able to yet) but that should've been provided with the description. It's not really a puzzle either is it? I mean, what kind of puzzle requires that kind of acquired knowledge, or at least a bunch of research.

You never played a Gabriel Knight game, did you?

Le Woltaire

Is there anyone still working on this?
Otherwise I will announce the winner this evening.

cuestaluis

Le Woltaire

OK here the result:

FSI: I like the rhythmic variation but it remains a bit stiched into one pitch. The fade out somehow seemed to be a fitted ending. But thank you for the entry otherwise there wouldn't have been a competition...

Al Ninio: Pretty crazy but somehow structured. Your ending has convinced me more because you tried to play some kind of figure to find out of what you had developed.

cuestaluis: You seem to have researched parts of the tune above. I got the impression of the other entries that they basically concerned on rhythm which is not really changing in gregorian chant and it was not really understandable for me if they had taken a closer look at the sheet. I have heard your piece three times now and although you are playing in the wrong pitch there are some fragments of the above melody in it.

So cuestaluis is the one that was closest to the competitions idea I and you decide next.

Al_Ninio

Congrats cuestaluis! :D

Le Woltaire, next time you might want to be clearer, I nearly started a new competition, good thing FSi clued me in on your edit. :P

Le Woltaire

Yes, I am sorry for this.

Just as I had posted you as the winner I got that there was a new entry that had arrived.
That was the moment where I was called on the phone and so I was intermitted to make an instant edit to my post. Since the post had just been up for about 15 minutes I didn't think that you already read this...
Sorry for the confusion then. But with so few entries I decided to make cuestaluis enter.

cuestaluis

Yay! Thanks!

Actually all the confusion was my fault for posting so late in the competition  :P
I'll see if I can make a new thread today, if I can't it will be up tomorrow for sure!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk