Sprite Jam 2010 - Ends January 5th

Started by SpacePirateCaine, Tue 29/12/2009 15:20:48

Previous topic - Next topic

SpacePirateCaine

SPRITE JAM 2010

Hello folks, Sorry it took so long to start up a new competition. I was in the middle of writing this when I realized I needed to step out for a while and, well... Look at the time. Regardless, here I am - glad to be hosting another Sprite Jam, I love these competitions and I hope to see a decent turnout, though I imagine a good number of you are off enjoying the holiday with friends and family.

Regardless, here comes the competition.

So, boys and girls, we finally issue in the year 2010, but I have a question or two - Where's my hovercar? And what ever happened to Jupiter imploding to create a second sun? Wasn't that supposed to happen ages ago? I contend that the image that was painted for us as 'things to come' was sadly overstated.

Now, I'm pushing 30, so it's possible I'm a touch above the average age of the AGS user base, but I still remember watching the Jetsons when it was on TV and thinking "Oh man, that will be awesome". Well, I'm not looking for retro specifically, but The 2010 that you imagined in your childhood.

It's a bit of an open topic, I realize, but I think everyone had an idea of what the future was supposed to be like. We're making great strides in scientific and mechanical engineering, but we're just not there yet. I'd like to see what you all thought we'd have been able to see by now.

Now, for the specifics:

• Your sprite can be an inventory item, a set piece or a character.
  • Your sprite should depict an item/object/person that embodies a concept of the 'future' as seen from the past.
  • Your sprite should be independent of a background - please include an image with an alpha channel.
  • Backgrounds are allowed, but an individual sprite should be provided separately.
  • If a sprite is not self-explanatory, a text description is encouraged.
  • Sprite resolution and color depth are not specified

The competition will continue for 1 week, and end on  January 5th, 2010.
Only 1 sprite will be judged, if submitting multiple entries, please specify the official competition entry.
Check out MonstroCity! | Level 0 NPCs on YouTube! | Life's far too short to be pessimistic.

GreenBoy

Ah I can't believe no ones entered into this comp yet!!   :o

Great concept by the way SPC.

(deleted)

The degree to which this qualifies as "sadly overstated" is only factually accurate.

x2

w/ background, characters.

Side note: Turns out, you can get everything in the above image (including the hot GF and cabinets) without the degree, though in 1990, I would've found hovercars easier to believe.

NsMn

Wasn't the topic meant a bit different?

SpacePirateCaine

Not exactly what I meant, granted, but it's an interpretation of the rules, and I won't disqualify it. Technically, I was looking for more of the 'Hoverboards' and 'Robot Maids' and so on, but I'm happy to see creative interpretation of the theme.

For a little extra push, I thought that I'd give you all a little inspirational material to work with. I'd like to turn your attention to this fun turn-of-the-decade article on Cracked.com, which details a few of the very same types of things that I am looking for.
Check out MonstroCity! | Level 0 NPCs on YouTube! | Life's far too short to be pessimistic.

Arboris

It's been a while since I've joined a Spritejam, so I've got something in the works for this. Stay tuned!

x2                x1

This is the thing I always thought we would have. Flying cars. And what better example then the Delorean from Back to the Future.

Concept shooter. Demo version 1.05

ALPHATT

I love the Delorean. The other 1 is nice too especially with all the stuff around it.
/sig

SpacePirateCaine

Ahoy, boys and girls,

Just leaving a message to say that everyone has until it's the 6th everywhere to get your sprites in - Not sure if anyone is still working on a sprite, but if you are, you still have a little time - so come on! The first Sprite Jam of 2010 only happens once!

SpacePirateCaine

And that's all she wrote.

Well, two isn't all that bad - It makes my job a fair sight easier. As I am usually wont to do, I'll drop a few comments about the sprites:

hofmeier's college degree:
I got a kick out of your interpretation of the rules - I'll admit I was more looking for rocket-skates or something of that vein, but I realize that some of us had gloomy visions of a gloomy black-and-white adulthood. As far as art style goes, I'm digging the piece - the degree itself (As it was selected as your primary sprite) kind of looks like a forgery to me: Any official degree that has the words "COLLEGE DEGREE" taking up roughly half of its space is a bit suspect, but nonetheless, good stuff.

Arboris's Back to the Future Delorean
Closer to what I was getting at with the theme as I wrote it. To this very day I speculate as to what the world would be like with time travel, though admittedly the ramifications are actually a little terrifying at times. Great reference to a great movie from my childhood, and extremely well-sprited. Bravo, Arboris.

Fact: I know of at least one other Delorian sprite that was being done for this competition.

Now, to the awarding of the title of 'Host of the second Sprite Jam of 2010': May I present... Arboris!
Lovely sprite, great use of color, instantly recognizable. All-around very well done. Get moving on the next competition!

Arboris

Concept shooter. Demo version 1.05

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk