MAGS February: Chunky Salsa (Winner Announced!)

Started by Dualnames, Fri 29/01/2010 21:09:09

Previous topic - Next topic

Dualnames

I'm going to give you guys a sort favr, not really an extension, but let's call it a delay in closure. I'll close this tomorrow at around 18:00 GMT. Not earlier, so you can count on that. How's that?
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

Chicky

Heh, i finish work at 6 tomorrow  :P Oh well!

Vukul

Okay, so there'll be a couple of hours to test it properly :)
I have to say, the game is almost ready. But while I have time to finish I won't post it ;)

EDIT: And, discordance, I ask for bonus points, because all the requirements are met!  ;D

Wyz

I also did, well and same story.
I also need to test it properly.
Life is like an adventure without the pixel hunts.

discordance

Quote from: Vukul on Wed 24/02/2010 21:07:56
Okay, so there'll be a couple of hours to test it properly :)
I have to say, the game is almost ready. But while I have time to finish I won't post it ;)

EDIT: And, discordance, I ask for bonus points, because all the requirements are met!  ;D

Bonus points are YOURS!

Spoiler
and by that I mean I will say "congratulations" after I play it. possibly even in all caps.
[close]

tzachs

The Quest For The Holy Salsa

There is an on-going blood feud between the humans and the abominations.
You play as Eldritch, a young abomination, who is chosen by the 'High One' to infiltrate
the human camp, and fetch what the legend describes as their sacred item which is also the source to their power:
The Holy Crunchy Chunky Salsa!

In your quest, according to the legend (written in the book of the ancient war), you will have to overcome three obstacles:
The mighty guard, The angry farmers and the Test Of the Beards Of Different Sizes.
You will also discover the true power of love.

Backgrounds were made by the amazing Jakerpot.

Download (17.5MB)

P.S. Discordance, All of the requirements are met even before starting the game, I demand bonus points and a foot rub (I understand if you don't approve of the bonus points)  :P

Wyz

This odd Feeling
Learn about Gary and the weird dream he woke up in.
Can you save the world and be back fo supper?

Download (1.3 MB)
(Shoot, 11 days of work and it fits on a floppy disk?)

I might update this version tomorrow, if I've got time. But it's done! And I've still got my marbles! (it was close though)

I hope you'll enjoy it.

P.S.
Questions about the (quirky) game play I think you could ask them here, or PM me.

PPS.
[brag]
Spoiler
not only did I include all elements from the list, I also made each of them a plot element.
[close]
[/brag] ;)

PPPS.
I'm so changing that typo ;) There will be a ton left in the game too I guess. :P
Life is like an adventure without the pixel hunts.

kaputtnik

Quote from: tzachs on Wed 24/02/2010 23:22:56
The Holy Crunchy Salsa!

P.S. Discordance, All of the requirements are met even before starting the game, I demand bonus points and a foot rub (I understand if you don't approve of the bonus points)  :P

Oh-oh! But wasn't it a chunky salsa that has been demanded? I agree that chunky salsa will in most cases also be a little crunchy at least - but your foot rub is in danger!

Quote from: Wyz on Thu 25/02/2010 03:55:45
Learn about Gary and the weird dream he woke up in.
Can you save the would and be back fo supper?

I am so downloading this! Saving the would (especially within if-clauses) rocks!
I, object.

Vukul

Ladies & Gentlemen!
Cavemen ProgrammerZ proudly present...

In this game you play as Colin, a son of a humble chronicler from the farming village of people called "Bearders" because of their tradition to wear beards of unusual sizes.
The grave danger imposed onto the village sets him forth on the adventure to save his compatriots...

(for more information about the game background and gameplay info look up the ReadMe)

GAME FEATURES:

Resolution: 640x480

- Blood feuds.
- The power of love.
- Eldritch abominations.
- Farmers.
- Beards of unusual size.
- Chunky salsa.
- An ancient war

+ 2 endings

Download (28.7 Mb)
(the host is Russian, so please click the floppy disk icon to download)

EDIT: Now has its own game page.

EDIT 2: While there's still time, here's an updated version with some bugs fixed (look up in the ReadMe)

tzachs

Quote from: kaputtnik on Thu 25/02/2010 10:38:24
Oh-oh! But wasn't it a chunky salsa that has been demanded? I agree that chunky salsa will in most cases also be a little crunchy at least - but your foot rub is in danger!

Dualnames

Great entries all so far, if anyone is still working on something, he has about 2 hours to wrap it up, cause 22:00 GMT, competition is closed, and time for voting! :D
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

abstauber

SinSin

So as the fingertips of these manic programmers fast approach obliteration all there is left to do is wait   .... 

Come on time go faster  lolz
Currently working on a project!

discordance

Quote from: tzachs on Thu 25/02/2010 16:45:58
Quote from: kaputtnik on Thu 25/02/2010 10:38:24

No bonus points for YOU! ;)

Chicky

What the crap?!? i did not see this! I will try  :-\

edit: Meh, i give up! Give me a week or so and i'll get over my programming/art disability and release it bug free, with no salsa :( Thanks for the extension anyway Dual, i'm guessing you had me in mind when posting that  :)

Dualnames

Quote from: Chicky on Thu 25/02/2010 21:27:16
What the crap?!? i did not see this! I will try  :-\

edit: Meh, i give up! Give me a week or so and i'll get over my programming/art disability and release it bug free, with no salsa :( Thanks for the extension anyway Dual, i'm guessing you had me in mind when posting that  :)

Yes, dear Chicky. Shame you didn't manage. Hope you had fun anyway...cause that's what matters !

Voting

For voting please visit the MAGS site or make your choice right here:

This odd Feeling by Wyz
The Secret of Chunky Salsa by Vukul
The Quest For The Holy Salsa by tzachs

Ends when the clock hits 28th. I would like to ask to all partecipants to think of a theme NOW and have it ready and sent by pm when the competition is over.

Vukul

Having finished one entry, I'm ready to give my comment on it (not ready to vote yet, because need to finish another one):

The Quest for Holy Salsa by tzachs

Spoiler
Overall, it's a nice short game with good humour in some lines and along the way, nice quotatinons from everywhere outside the game world Smiley
Story is nicely woven (within the restrictions given, of course Smiley ), and puzzles are challenging, but with 'human' (not abominable Wink ) logic, which appealed to me.
The thing that frustrated me a bit was the innovative things in control. I liked the fact that these 'jump' and 'raised tentacle' functions were used in various ways throughout all the game, and not just because the author fancied to add them... but the implementation (and, btw, the upper panel with menu/inventory as well) I found rather clumsy.
But again, within the given time/rules restrictions, well done.
[close]

Dualnames

Quote from: Vukul on Fri 26/02/2010 21:26:30
It seems, that after the row of wins by default there's a considerable lack of interest in this very activity... Pity.

Still, having finished one entry, I'm ready to give my comment on it (not ready to vote yet, because need to finish another one):

I feel like you're really wrong here. Usually the MAGS of Jan and Feb are those that are won by default. And it was only two months by default. With your post people would really think that MAGS is actually losing its prestige and fun, and to me that would be really ...I don't know, insulting comes to mind.

Dualnames, the man who killed MAGS

It's been said by some other Dick (GOLDFISH, and being said by you, who I really like, bothers me. I think the MAGS is not at its best, but I'm struggling to keep it at the quality Klaus was giving to this competition and as a developer myself, I'm trying to help you guys out. Of course you can't just not express your opinion, but well, I think it's very loosely based on solid facts. Reminding you that even when the AGS is supposedly downfalling at this era as a community, back there no MAGS host ever managed to gather 8 entries within a month (even though two more days were given).

So if anyone really thinks that there's something I'm actually doing really bad here, I'd love some criticism on how to improve.

discordance

Dualnames

I'm actually doing some breakthrough changes on the next month, re-forming parts of the competition, to the best. Because as Vukul stated, and I agree ultimately, there's been a fall in the feedback. Even suckiest competitions with just one entry, had 10 comments to that game. But with the hide...I think something is lost.

So changes starting next month:
1) Anyone can comment, critic and express his opinion about an entry, the MAGS, and the host's mother, without being obliged to hide it! As long as the critic isn't like "You suck", something more elaborate could be more useful because after all this is a test for all developers to see if they can really make a game within a month, therefore feedback is crucial.

2) If you don't wish comments for your games..don't look at them! Seriously. Would you post a game and not expect feedback? Only Yahtzee is expecting "You're a god!" type of feedback. The rest of us mortals don't have fanboys.

Now go vote, and we'll discuss this more on the 1st of March.  :D

Thanks to Vukul for that. I'm sure you'll love the next MAGS (even if Vukul doesn't get the prize ;)..)!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk