Games are running slow... Is AGS compatible with Windows 7?

Started by BubbleMonkey, Thu 08/04/2010 19:37:47

Previous topic - Next topic

BubbleMonkey

Hey, everyone. :)

So, I downloaded AGS the other day and tried to start making a game, just to test it out and see how I could do. Eventually, I managed to add a character and create a room, and I wanted to run the game just to see if it was working. The game itself ran, but very, very slowly. And it's not only my games... a few others that I tried playing didn't work well either. I know the games themselves work fine, because I've played them on another computer in the past.

I'm fairly sure the problem has to do with my computer, because the one I used to use never had a problem with AGS or the games. I used to have Windows XP, which worked fine. Right now, I have Windows 7, and it doesn't seem like its compatible. It keeps changing the color scheme every time I load a game, and saying the resolution isn't right. I tried changing the resolution, and the window size of the games, but no luck.

Sorry if this is a long question, but I'm bad with computers as it is, so I'm stumped.  Also, I couldn't find a similar question to this anywhere in the forums. Does anyone else have this problem with Windows 7? 

Danman

Well I had windows 7 once. And it worked fine with me. Now I have vista and still works fine. Did you try putting it on the lowest res then full screen. Just I know some filters can give me issues. Is there no difference in speed with Directx9 and Direct-draw??

BubbleMonkey

Hmm... yes, when the game settings box pops up, I chose 320X200 because it said it was the fastest, but for some reason, the game only reacts without full screen. If it's in a small box, though, I can't see it, so I can't play it anyway.

I tried searching for Directx9 on my computer, and it said something about "Windows Aero". I changed the theme to Windows 7 Basic, but I don't think that did anything. The game still runs as slowly as it did before. What exactly is Direct-draw? Do I have to download it or something?

Sorry to be a pain, but I'm really confused...  :-[

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: BubbleMonkey on Thu 08/04/2010 23:10:17
I tried searching for Directx9 on my computer, and it said something about "Windows Aero". I changed the theme to Windows 7 Basic, but I don't think that did anything. The game still runs as slowly as it did before. What exactly is Direct-draw? Do I have to download it or something?

Erm... DirectDraw is a graphic library that Windows uses since Win95. Windows Vista has DirectDraw 10, Win7 should have DD 11 (as far as I know). It is certainly already installed on your computer with Windows.

What Danman meant, try to change graphic driver option in AGS game setup. Initially DirectDraw 5 is set. Try setting Direct3D 9.

Important note though, that older AGS games may not have this setting (not sure... well, honestly I don't know how old game must be).

QuoteI chose 320X200 because it said it was the fastest
I guess you may ignore that line about "fastest". I always set at least x2 or even x3 scaling and it plays good for me. At least, I doubt it may be cause of your problem.

Danman

In the AGS game setup. I think you got "Run in a window instead of full screen" Ticked ( untick it)
Then run on lowest res 320x200. And see what happens. It should work fine. :)

Once you can see that works you can start messing with the filters.

Gilbert

Try updating DirectX9. Right, 9.

DX10 or DX11 in Vista and 7 are actually different things from the earlier DX versions. They're not responsible for running software created to work with the earlier DX versions. So, Vista and 7 actually came also with DX9, but for some unknown reasons (probably stupid decision on M$'s side) the version of DX9 they provided was extremely outdated, so you may try updating DX9 also.

BubbleMonkey

Quote from: Crimson Wizard on Fri 09/04/2010 00:05:48
Erm... DirectDraw is a graphic library that Windows uses since Win95. Windows Vista has DirectDraw 10, Win7 should have DD 11 (as far as I know). It is certainly already installed on your computer with Windows.

What Danman meant, try to change graphic driver option in AGS game setup. Initially DirectDraw 5 is set. Try setting Direct3D 9.

Important note though, that older AGS games may not have this setting (not sure... well, honestly I don't know how old game must be).

Yeah, I think the game is fairly old, since I remember playing it a few years ago. It doesn't seem to have that setting, so I can't change it.

Quote from: Gilbet V7000a on Fri 09/04/2010 01:50:40
Try updating DirectX9. Right, 9.

DX10 or DX11 in Vista and 7 are actually different things from the earlier DX versions. They're not responsible for running software created to work with the earlier DX versions. So, Vista and 7 actually came also with DX9, but for some unknown reasons (probably stupid decision on M$'s side) the version of DX9 they provided was extremely outdated, so you may try updating DX9 also.

I downloaded a recent version of DirectX9, but it didn't make the game run any better. I guess the game just isn't meant to work on my computer. I did download a more recent game, though, just to see if those settings were there. I ran the game without adjusting them, and it actually worked! It wasn't sluggish or anything! I'm really not sure how that happened, but I guess  I can't play anything really old. It's sad, but at least I know some games work. Thanks for all the info, though, everyone! I appreciate it.  :)

Khris

If it said "fastest" next to 320x200, it's a really, really old game. You can try running those in DosBox.

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: Khris on Fri 09/04/2010 07:57:29
If it said "fastest" next to 320x200, it's a really, really old game. You can try running those in DosBox.
But... DosBox can only run Dos executables, isn't it?

Khris

Old versions of the engine were able to run under DOS, afaik.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk