Oceanspirit Dennis: Pirates On The Poopdeck!

Started by Ponch, Tue 25/05/2010 09:00:24

Previous topic - Next topic

Ponch

SQUARE PENIKS PRESENTS
Oceanspirit Dennis: Pirates on the Poopdeck!

The pirate with the dangerously sharp hair and a shockingly poor grasp of the English language has returned (just in time to jump on the bandwagon) in an all new turn-based naval combat adventure!

Fresh off a successful campaign terrorizing the seas of the Underworld with Life Partner Ray, Oceanspirit Dennis is ready to kick back and relax for a bit at his secret island base. But as the good ship The Fancy Man drops anchor, Dennis is shocked to discover his tropical island sanctuary is crawling with raiders!

Help Dennis and his loyal mateys take back their island paradise from the forces of the nefarious Knottybeard the Pirate (the only two things this dastardly villain will never do are comb his beard and admit his true feelings for Dennis). But watch out for Knottybeard's "girlfriend," the unpredictable Corsettica the Red Leather Witch. Her large breasts and tightly-cinched enchanted corset gives her inexplicable power over the minds of men!

So what are you waiting for? Climb up to the crow's nest, load some balls into your cannon, and abuse the English language with Oceanspirit Dennis: Pirates on the Poopdeck!

"Pirates On The Poopdeck!" Game
(4 Megabytes, RAR format)

"Poopdeck" Source Code*
(7 Megabytes, RAR format)

I hope you enjoy this game! I didn't put a lot of work into it, but it wouldn't be an Oceanspirit Dennis game if I did! ;D

- Ponch
----------------
* (Note: This game was made with AGS 2.72 -- yes, I'm one of the old holdouts -- so you may have a little work to do converting it to newer versions of CJ's masterpiece)

***UPDATE MAY 25, 2010 ***
Fixed a few small bugs in the game (damn, that's what you get for not play testing!) Uploaded the fixed source code as well.

Gilbert

OMG MUST DOWNLOAD!1!

Maybe it's time for me to attempt making a fully playable AGI version of the series.

ThreeOhFour

Ponch, as if you weren't already the man...

This is incredible! Like ridiculously playable! I'm almost upset that there is an Oceanspirit Dennis game that's actually fun.

My favorite part of this is the spellcasting, but all of it is rad. Personal favorite spell:

Spoiler
Holy Diver  8)
[close]

But the secret discotheque one comes pretty close as well. Fine work all around, sir!

To Gilbet I say: "Yes"

Ponch

Gilbet:
Thanks for the enthusiasm! Also, I also cast a vote of support about the AGI suggestion.

Ben:
Thanks! Coming from the guy who gave us the green-haired piratess in game two (and the random "now I must walk off into the clouds" ending), that means a lot. Regarding the magic system, I'm already working on a more user controlled version for the next game -- something like the one you used in the first game. And, lastly, regarding the "special guest star", I was thinking that if this is indeed the next RON style universe (more on that below*), then we should have our own celebrity too. After all, RON has David Hasselhoff. Why can't we have a tiny heavy metal hero?

Vince:
Praise from Vince XII? This is truly my "Oh, Captain. My captain!" moment that I've been waiting for since I joined these forums, lo these many years ago. Thank you! But I have to give credit where credit is due. I'm the one late to this party. If this game is in any way entertaining, it's because I've stood on the shoulders of giants (and shamelessly stole from them). ddq, Snake, Mr. 304, discordance, and, yes, icey were here before me.  All I did was take all the credit for their hard work. So, yes, I deserve all the praise for creating Oceanspirit Dennis is what I'm saying. And I'll expect you to all pay me large royalties if you want to use my character and his universe. Or else, you'll all hear from my lawyers.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm off to spend all the OSD money.

- Ponch
-----------------
(*By the way, regarding the "Underworld" in which Dennis lives... Is it possible that the world is hollow and Dennis and his mateys sail the interior sea... while on the surface of this world, the citizens of RON go about their business unaware of the piratey adventures going on beneath their feet? Just a thought).

Vince Twelve

Who died and made me Jacob?  I wish I could finish games like you can!  No, that game was actually sweet.  Too sweet for it's own pedigree.  I would love to play a longer game like that with a slightly more fleshed out battle system.  Travel around the world map fighting ridiculous pirates, earn money to improve your ship or hire more mateys, terrible grammar.  The works!  Love it.

ddq

I wonder when someone will make the gritty, film noir-inspired, angsty adventure inspired by the original picture, OR WILL IT JUST HAVE TO BE ME?

This game, though, is definitely awesome. I see you went with the homosexual post-crisis timeline, and what a gay old job you did! Gameplay was great too, this is probably the OSD with the most changes so far and is a nice challenge.

APPROVED.

Ponch

Quote from: Vince Twelve on Tue 25/05/2010 20:21:48
I would love to play a longer game like that with a slightly more fleshed out battle system.  Travel around the world map fighting ridiculous pirates, earn money to improve your ship or hire more mateys, terrible grammar.  The works!  Love it.

It's like you're reading my mind! As we speak, I have a powerful graphical program thingamabob fired up and am hard at work on the sprites needed for the sequel.

(Made with MS Paint, which is a sure sign of quality)

Pirates on the Poopdeck is the first of a (possible) trilogy of silly little games that will focus on Dennis, his mateys, and their adventures aboard the good ship "The Fancy Man." Now that Dennis has reclaimed his island sanctuary, he will set sail for the mysterious and inscrutable seas to the South. Who knows what he'll find there... Mermaids? Sea serpents? The furious exchange of cannonballs with other pirates? You'll have to play to find out! (And I'll have to make the game for you to play it. So I guess the pressure is on me. But let's all blame Ben304 if I fail to deliver, okay? He's young. He can take it.)

Lastly, ddq, I think it's up to you to do the noir city adventure for Dennis. This sandbox is big enough for everyone's take on the character. Hell, the RPG advances the story millions (possibly billions) years. I look forward to seeing what you do with a "Dennis in the city" story.

As for myself, I've set my course for the high seas!

- Ponch

ThreeOhFour

Ohhh yes a sequel! :o

Considering I now have developed a pretty fail-safe strategy for this game, I look now for further challenges!

Finish further naval strategy games, Ponch, I beseech you!

SinSin

Currently working on a project!

Ponch

Quote from: Ben304 on Wed 26/05/2010 11:23:56
Considering I now have developed a pretty fail-safe strategy for this game, I look now for further challenges!

A fail-safe strategy? To my incredibly complicated, nuanced, and richly textured strategy game?!? I didn't think such a thing was possible!

Looks like I'll have to add a new strategic element to the next game... Hmmm... Perhaps Dennis will have to get out of the boat from time to time. That would add a new twist and will surely defeat you in your efforts to master the game!

So this is my 8-bit take on your Dennis sprite. At such a small scale, I wasn't able to quite capture the bad teeth and wild hair. Also, I had to scale down his mighty EmoBlade just a bit. But I think this will do when it comes time for Dennis to lead a landing party ashore to explore a mysterious island (or just to go into town to buy some fresh mateys and a few casks of grog).

Sinsin, everybody loves teh boobies! :D (Except Dennis)

- Ponch

ddq

I think from now own, in the universe in which he's gay, Oceanspirit Dennis is a pirate, but in the straight universe, he should be a ninja. I hope to start and promptly complete "Oceanspirit Dennis: Blades of Passion."

discordance

I love how the mythos has already split into parallel universes. Doesn't that usually happen in season 3 at the earliest?

Ponch

Quote from: ddq on Wed 26/05/2010 18:25:27
I think from now own, in the universe in which he's gay, Oceanspirit Dennis is a pirate, but in the straight universe, he should be a ninja. I hope to start and promptly complete "Oceanspirit Dennis: Blades of Passion."

Aren't all gay guys pirates? Of a sort, I mean?

Anyhoo, I accept these terms for Oceanspirit Dennis. However, I hope your OSD is also a private eye. Because I don't think AGS has ever had a ninja private eye game before.

In the spirit of co-operation, I am adding a shade of "noir" to my OSD world by making Life Partner Ray a 1970s street pimp.

Apparently, once the curse was lifted and he was set free of his deviant art style character design, he was able to resume his true form of a Chicago pimp, circa 1977. (He draws his magical powers from his Enchanted Pimpin' Hat and not from his cane, as many of his enemies suspect).

Discordance, it's never to early for parallel universes (I think Shakespeare said that). Or maybe we've just succumbed to the "reboot madness" that's gripping our fellow power players in Hollywood.

All I know is that there's no such thing as too much Oceanspirit Dennis!

- Ponch

ddq

That is the damn stylingest pimp I've ever seen. Perfect! But Straight Universe Oceanspirit Dennis (SUOSD) is most definitely a ninja private eye.

I can't wait to read the wacky fan fiction.

Ponch

Quote from: ddq on Wed 26/05/2010 19:12:49
That is the damn stylingest pimp I've ever seen.

Man, he's so funky that 8 bits couldn't render him. I had to use 9!

Looking forward to ninja private eye SUOSD :)

Snake

I really don't have to make an OSD game, do I?
Grim: "You're making me want to quit smoking... stop it!;)"
miguel: "I second Grim, stop this nonsense! I love my cigarettes!"

Ponch

Quote from: Snake on Wed 26/05/2010 19:45:52
I really don't have to make an OSD game, do I?

Yes, you do. As one of the creators of OSD, you'd be setting a bad example if you didn't. Furthermore, I think that everyone should make an OSD game. It should be a requirement when you register to use the forums. ;)

- Ponch

discordance

On another note, I would like to observe that this game is AWESOME, and furthermore that it KICKS ASS. Next: The OSD Roguelike?! The OSD FPS? The OSD cell phone puzzle game!? Maybe another alternate universe where OSD is OCD and I won't keep making that spelling error?! The potential is limitless!

Wonkyth

I'll do the Rogue-like, as it doesn't require much graphics, and I like ASCII art...
only problem being that I don't fully understand the OSD world, so I might need either teaching or a consultant.
"But with a ninja on your face, you live longer!"

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk