Would a five to ten gigabyte game work?

Started by EnterTheStory (aka tolworthy), Thu 15/07/2010 18:55:51

Previous topic - Next topic

EnterTheStory (aka tolworthy)

I'm considering combining all my games into one file. Right now it would only be 700 MB, but over the next 20 years it could easily push 10 gigabytes. Is there any practical limit to the physical size of AGS games?

EDIT: I've tried a 3 gig game, and it works OK, but obviously I haven't tested it thoroughly - it was just a fake game with giant rooms. I'd be interested to know if anyone has found slow downs when pushing everything to the limit.

LimpingFish

Who knows? I'm not sure what the largest AGS game has ever been, but I'm sure it would have to have had a lot of video or high-quality digital sound.

Plus, twenty years worth of foresight is a hell of a burden.
Steam: LimpingFish
PSN: LFishRoller
XB: TheActualLimpingFish
Spotify: LimpingFish

Sslaxx

Quote from: LimpingFish on Sat 17/07/2010 20:41:54Who knows? I'm not sure what the largest AGS game has ever been, but I'm sure it would have to have had a lot of video or high-quality digital sound.
Hazarding a guess, Phoenix-1 is probably very close to being the largest at the moment.
Stuart "Sslaxx" Moore.

Pumaman

Well, due to AGS being 32-bit it cannot handle files larger than 4 GB. However, as long as the resource files are split, this should be ok.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk