Unable to run some games..

Started by Kitty Trouble, Mon 10/05/2010 13:25:32

Previous topic - Next topic

Kitty Trouble

Is there a way to get some of these older games (Like I Spy and Return of Die Vie Ess) working on my computer? It's unable to run in graphics mode 320 x 200, and the setup files do nothing.

I use 64-bit windows 7.

[edit] eh i just realized i asked this a long time ago...some of the games i used to play though arent working now and I'd like them to.

The setup doesn't work with me but I can run Die Vie Ess in full screen mode (640x480). I had to adjust the resolution manually though.  Here's my acsetup.cfg:

Code:

[sound]
digiindx=0
digiid=-1
midiindx=0
midiid=-1

[misc]
screenres=1

Plays perfectly past the intro and on...
Let me know if this works for you.  I'm checking on Lost Treasure.

This isn't working for me, do I just create a fine and copy the text? Please help.

Leon

I you just copy the text below Code:, save it to a text file, put it in the same folder as the game and then name it acsetup.cfg. If you have extensions hidden, it might automatically add .txt at the end so remove that manually then.

You might also want to try and run the dos versions of them in a DOS-BOX like environment.
Ultimate Game Solutions - Because there is a solution for everything

Kitty Trouble

When I try to save the text and run it it doesn't show up the error but it doesn't load either, it just does nothing.

Snarky

I feel like a noob for asking this, but when I try to run certain old RON/AGS games (e.g. Lunchtime of the Damned), the colors get all screwy. Any idea how to fix this?

I'm guessing these are 256-color games and that Windows (Win7 in my case) is messing up the palette. Running in compatibility mode doesn't seem to help: In the modes for Win95 and Win98/ME it sometimes works to tab away from AGS and then tab back, but in these modes the game runs horrendously slowly and often crashes.

I tried DOSBox (D-Fend Reloaded), but the game wouldn't run because it's a Windows EXE.

Gilbert

If the games were lucky enough to be compiled with a version of AGS where DOS was still supported (i.e. AGS V2.62 or earlier), you can actually play them with the DOS engine.

Rough instruction is here (yeah, it's with running DOS games under Windows, but the other way round is the same; just use acdos.exe instead).

OneDollar

If its the same problem that you get with any 256 colour game running on Vista or 7 I've heard a couple of ways of fixing it, such as opening the resolution changing window and leaving it open before starting the game.

The method that works for me is a bit more drastic. Open command prompt and task manager, then on the processes tab in task manager end explorer.exe. Use command prompt to launch the game. When you've finished playing use either command prompt or task manger (file, new task) to launch explorer.exe again.

Alternatively create a batch file in the folder with the game in it containing something like the below to automate it:
Code: ags

taskkill /F /IM explorer.exe
game.exe
start explorer.exe

obviously replacing game.exe with the game's executable name.

Snarky

Hah! Works like a charm! Thanks OneDollar!

Though my opinion of Windows 7 is such that I see no particular need to restart explorer afterward. Freaking Apple-wannabe, breaks-things-that-were-working-perfectly-well-before, hides-every-useful-setting-so-the-UI-can-look-"clean", runs-at-half-the-speed-of-XP sorry excuse for an operating system.

Calin Leafshade

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

Runs at half the speed of xp?  Sounds like you need to read up on disabling the 7 visual themes if it's slow for you.  Even with the enhanced themes my performance isn't any worse (or better) than it was on XP.  The only nag for me with 7 is the constant administrator reminders, though even those can be mitigated with the registry (or services).

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk