Sprite Jam: Magic users. (2nd - 16th August) Over! Trophies!

Started by Jim Reed, Mon 02/08/2010 00:30:16

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Reed

Hi there sprite jammers!

For this sprite jam you are going to be restricted to these 16 colours:

The competiton will last for two weeks, and voting will last 3 days. Trophies are guaranteed to every participant. The theme is "Magic users".

You can draw any kind of magic user you wish. Everything from wizards, over necromancers to imps is allowed. As long as the creature/person uses magic in some way that you can draw it, please feel free to submit your entry.

Backgrounds and animation are optional. There is no size limit.

Have fun!

EDIT:
loominous pointed out to me that there should be another set of rules for non pixelart people.

So, for them, they can use 5 colours (+shading, anti-aliasing and transparency) with no restrictions to the canvas size.
Offcourse, he better enter then >=)

Wonkyth

Ooh, goodie!
Does the said magic user have to be in the act of using magic?
"But with a ninja on your face, you live longer!"

Jim Reed

Yes, they do. Fireballs, levitation, summoning, divination, rituals, evocation, etc. take your pick!

Jimbob

Oops, forgot to write something.

Fairly standard idea, just thought I'd bust something out as quick as possible. Simon didn't come to mind until the end of it really, but hope you like...
Current Project: A Hard Day's Knight

Dualnames

Here's my entry
Scarecrow
This is the famous Scarecrow that preserves the Urban myth between the Dark Side of the Moon and the Wizard of Oz

Brain Damage

Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

Sadistyk

Simon The Sorcerer, as seen in the 1992 game's box casting a spell...

Mad

Did someone say imp!?

...well at least impish  ;)

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

Magic Users?  How about Limey Lizard and his apprentice Lucky Lemming? :D

Babar

I was bored enough to try something weirdly different, but unfortunately not bored enough to complete it properly :(

As it is:

Yeah...this is Zmo Smrtoff. He waves his harmless sparkly stick to distract you, then shoots you in the face with his magic gun. I don't know why.
The ultimate Professional Amateur

Now, with his very own game: Alien Time Zone

Matti

Quote from: Babar on Fri 06/08/2010 20:06:54
He waves his harmless sparkly stick to distract you, then shoots you in the face with his magic gun.

That would be a cool adventure game character  ;D

Sughly

Alrighty, my first sprite comp so hopefully I did everything right by the rules  :(. Left one is using non-pixelart rules with 5 colours, one on right is same but with shading (which I wasn't sure about with rules and whatnot...).

Armageddon

I love your art style Sughly. I wish I could draw like that...

Sughly

Quote from: Armageddon on Sat 07/08/2010 01:22:07
I love your art style Sughly. I wish I could draw like that...

Thanks again Armageddon  ;D

Alun

Hmm... you know what?  I think I may actually enter this.  The magic word was "imp"... it happens that I'm currently planning an AGS game called "Trevalien and the Imp" which involves as one of the major characters, well, an imp.  (Or at least, a creature who the main character calls an imp.)  Who uses magic.  And I haven't drawn the sprites for him yet.  So hey, there we go.  (I'm assuming it's okay to enter sprites of preexisting or pre-planned characters, as long as the sprites are new, given that the other entries so far include two Simon the Sorcerers (or should that be Simons the Sorcerer?) and a couple of characters who appeared in a game from 2008...)

Other factors that seem to conspire to make this a convenient contest for me to enter include:

• The alternate non-pixel-art rules.  Hooray!  I'd been away from the AGS boards for a long time until recently, but it seemed back when I was on it before that the sprite contests were always geared pretty much exclusively toward pixel art.  Lo-res pixel art, I don't have much experience with, and I find it very difficult.  Non-pixel-art, I can do.  So the alternate rules for non-pixel-art are very welcome.

• As it happens, the imp character for the game was always intended to be fairly monochromatic anyway.  So the five-color restriction is no problem for him.  (And even leaves me a few colors left over for magical effects.)
So... in summary, expect my entry probably shortly before midnight on the 16th.  Because I am a horrible procrastinator.

It is also not entirely impossible that I will forget about it and not manage to complete an entry in time after all.  But hopefully that won't happen.

Heck, if I have time I'll probably try to animate him.  It is not necessarily particularly likely that I will have time.

Soup - The Comic Strip
http://www.soupcomic.com
Gods, heroes, monsters, and soup

Alun

And here it is; I even got a chance to go the extra mile and animate it after all:

Wasn't originally going to bother with a background, but without a background the conversion to animated .gif left a weird white border around the ball of magic where it had been partially transparent, so I figured I'd toss in a quick background to ameliorate that issue.  Heavy use made of transparency on the magic ball, but hopefully that stays within the rules.  (The original post did say "5 colours (+shading, anti-aliasing and transparency)", after all.)

(For what it's worth, incidentally, though, as I said in my previous post, this is a major character in a game I'm working on, this particular sprite is unlikely to appear in the game, for two reasons.  First, because I'm not sure whether or not he's actually going to be shown doing flashy magic like this in the game.  And second, because he's really small... the game is going to be 1024 x 768 resolution, but even so the imp will probably end up only around sixty pixels high or so.  (Though I guess it's not entirely impossible he'll get some close-ups in cut scenes.)  Ah, well; I guess this was still good practice for drawing and animating him, anyway.)

Soup - The Comic Strip

loominous

Another annoyance about to be turned into a feather ball.
Looking for a writer

Jim Reed

Thank you all for participating!
The voting starts now, and you have until the 19th to vote for your favourite sprite.

No categories here, just place one vote and off you go!

Babar

The ultimate Professional Amateur

Now, with his very own game: Alien Time Zone

Calin Leafshade

Alun

A lot of good entries... I was torn between Mad's and ProgZmax's entries, but I think I'm going to give the nod to ProgZmax, since his entry follows the rules better in that, unlike Mad's, it actually shows the characters in the act of using magic.

Soup - The Comic Strip

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk