Tune Contest 11th of August - 26th of August - We love the 80s! - WIN = OLIWERKO

Started by ShiverMeSideways, Wed 11/08/2010 10:17:23

Previous topic - Next topic

ShiverMeSideways

Cheesy atmospheric synths, tons of reverb, big, frizzy, spray-filled hair, you just gotta love it. And that's why I issue to you this challenge.

Ok, guys, for this compo, you need to make a cover song. But not just any ol' cover, but one of a hit song from the 80s. You must provide a link to where we can hear the original, but how faithful you remain to said original song is entirely up to, but it must actually seem like a cover (ie. with lyrics, a particular chord structure, a riff etc.).

Some examples:

* Elvenking - Heaven Is a Place on Earth (Belinda Carlisle cover - 1987)
* To/Die/For - (I Just) Died in Your Arms (Cutting Crew cover - 1986)
* Children of Bodom - Bed of Nails (Alice Cooper cover - 1989)
* Gun - Word Up! (Cameo cover - 1986)
* Marilyn Manson - Sweet Dreams (Are Made of This) (Eurythmics cover - 1983)
* Disturbed - Shout (Tears for Fears cover - 1984)
* Manitou - Beat It (Michael Jackson cover - 1982)
* Xentrix - Ghostbusters (Ray Parker Jr. cover - 1984)

Have fun, good luck, and fill this thread up with entries! :D

Oliwerko

I dunno if this can count as an entry for it is finished for a while now; I did not release or enter any other contests though, it's sitting on my HDD since finishing.

Anyway, be it entry or not, the vocals in Send me an Angel by Real Life always bugged me so I decided to make an instrumental remix and added a few of my own idea as well. Still, it remains very close to the original.

Get it here:
http://oliwerko.ic.cz/Send%20me%20an%20Angel.mp3
or
http://www14.zippyshare.com/v/44044009/file.html

LRH

Oli, that sounds awesome :P

I'll have to actually give this a shot, I haven't made anything in a very long time.

Dualnames

Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

AnalogGuy

LOL. This contest is like made for me!  ;D

A pity thought I must do cover... I hate covers because it's better to do new things and not to be stuck on same stuff...

But as I love 80's music, I really have to do something. The examples above sucks IMHO because they are nothing else than 80's songs turned into nowadays rock.

EDIT: I will make the cover, but sadly I think it won't be finished before the deadline.
Ask if you want me to compose your game.
---
One thing that I would like to see happen with films is for music not to be treated as just one more ingredient, but as an integral and fundamental part, due to its fatal capacity to affect the mood of the movie.

ShiverMeSideways

I'm glad I've provoked some interest! :D

And yes, Oliwerko, I will consider you entry valid. Just this time :P

Ptpt88, if you need an extension, I think I can work something out, if it's 2-3 days...

Dualnames

I made an entry but we're talking about real SH%^. No, like really real sh%^.
I will post it to win the compo by default. So be scared. :D
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

ShiverMeSideways

Please do! The more, the merrier. I might also be putting forth a song I have been working on for quite a while. (an actual recorded one, since I've gotten my new effects processor now! glee!)

AnalogGuy

Quote from: ShiverMeSideways on Sat 21/08/2010 04:53:35

Ptpt88, if you need an extension, I think I can work something out, if it's 2-3 days...

I doubt 3 days would be enough... you see, I am doing it with collaboration with a singing friend and she needs a bit training  ;)
Ask if you want me to compose your game.
---
One thing that I would like to see happen with films is for music not to be treated as just one more ingredient, but as an integral and fundamental part, due to its fatal capacity to affect the mood of the movie.

ShiverMeSideways

Well, I was hoping that my dragging out a contest decision would help people post some tunes, but it seems not.

Anyway, congratulations, Oliwerko, since you are the only one who submitted something, you are the winner!

Good luck on starting the next tune compo! :)

Oliwerko

Meh, I was hoping to have a little bit competition here, not to win like this. Maybe next time.

Thanks, I'll come up with the next theme in a little bit...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk