Nimbus! - AGS Steam - PreAlpha release

Started by Calin Leafshade, Wed 18/08/2010 16:23:37

Previous topic - Next topic

Calin Leafshade

http://svn.thethoughtradar.com/Nimbus.zip

Hola!

Here's a new version. If this one seems to pan out ok then I'll prepare a real release.

I would advise that you delete the existing Nexus folder entirely and start again (this should be the last time you need to do this since the system is extensible from here on out.)

If you really want to keep your existing games then you can rename the Nexus folder in My Docs to Nimbus and delete the IconCache folder which will be regenerated next time you run Nimbus.

feedback would be nice.

ok, so firstly I understand that all of what i am about to say falls under the category of unnecessary but hear me out.

What do people think of a steam-like system for ags games?

because AGS games are so small and so numerous I find I have loads of folders scattered around the place with ags games in.. I tend to download them and extract them where ever they are and just play them for 10 minutes or whatever and then forget to delete them.

So what if we made a system like steam for AGS games?

There would be a central repository of games that you can search.
If you like the game you can download it from the list with 1 click.
AGSteam downloads the game for you and extracts it to its own folder within a shared folder.
If you want to read the readme you just have to right click the game and click "show read me"
You could have a global set of settings for all the games if you wanted so you didnt have to run the winsetup everytime to set it how you like it.
if you *did* want to run the setup you could just right click it in the library and click 'setup'

if you liked a game you could rate it highly and all your 'friends' on the system would see that you just played the game and you liked it.
You could search for the most liked game that week.

plus loads of other things I can't think of.

What do you think?

arj0n

Sound like a very good idea.

I do like how agssteam should be able to offer the games by listing them + having an easy install and delete.
a rating like steam have would be a nice extra too.

Great idea.

Anian

This is no way an agry or similar tone, but
Wait you want to simplify the method of:
1. download game
2. put it in correct folder and unzip
3. start the winsetup or just game exe file
???
I mean, it might be interesting from a programing point of view, but kinda useless...I mean Steam offers a shop system, chat, DRM, game download from any pc and updates, voice chat, friends list, but 99.9999% of AGS games are singleplayer, os a lot of those features would be usless, wouldn't they? Just another program to instal (while you don't have to instal games now).

Not to mention that AGS games have a really wide set of resolutions and settings that can be used (which the included setup does well I think). And the rating system sort of exists already.
Only thing I'd like is a bit more screenshots (or at least one that works) on some games, but that's not really a big issue.
I don't want the world, I just want your half

arj0n

It would still be nice for lazy people like me who doesn't install the games on one proper place.
And when that steam would be based on Peders AGSArchive: no more dead links.

Calin Leafshade

yea, as i said it is unnecessary in that a system already exists but it does have some advantages.

for example people are more likely to rate the game if its a 1 click process after playing the game. My evidence for that is the facebook 'like' button.
The current rating rate is something like 0.2% for big games.

It's not that I feel this is something that is required but i just think it would be kinda cool and help bring AGS into the 21st century with all the social networking (I hate that term) that becomes possible.
I just think it would be nice to unify the amateur adventure community a little and being able to take part without sticking to the forum religiously might be cool.

Edit: The resolution issue is a minor one that can be pretty easily dealt with.

Chrille

Sounds like a great idea!
GASPOP software
http://www.gaspop.com

Wonkyth

I would love this.
I'd like to pretend that I'm a tidy file keeper, but...I'm pretending...
"But with a ninja on your face, you live longer!"

Intense Degree

That really does sound like a brilliant idea.

@Anian - never underestimate what lazy people will do/pay simply for convenience, or just something shiny and new! ;)

Igor Hardy

I just put all the AGS games into a folder called "AGS" and find it sufficient.

But I really like Steam for keeping my saved games, configs and offering good deals on commercial games, so if the AGS Steam had those features, I'll be most happy to use it.

Anian

Quote from: Intense Degree on Wed 18/08/2010 17:23:09
@Anian - never underestimate what lazy people will do/pay simply for convenience, or just something shiny and new! ;)
But that's what I'm saying, the process is really simple as is, I'm not against it or anything, just saying that it might look "easier"
and "more profesional" but on the other hand it'll require an installation of a software and then downloading the game which kind of sounds
more complicated.
I don't want the world, I just want your half

Calin Leafshade

yea its more complicated for people who play single games.. that would be absurd.

but if you play practically every game that comes out (or a large proportion) then surely it reduces the time required a great deal.

also we need to remember that the ags player community is far larger than the forumites.

most games get several hundred downloads but only a handful of forum comments.

Igor Hardy

Quote from: Calin Leafshade on Wed 18/08/2010 18:22:31
most games get several hundred downloads but only a handful of forum comments.

At least 50% of each game's downloaders never even open the downloaded archive, another 25% of that give up after a few minutes with the game and try something else...

I think we could really use a feature in AGS Steam that would make it aggressively poke people telling them to stop being lazy and to play our excellent games.

Intense Degree

Also, once you've got AGSteam on your machine it cuts out having to navigate through rapidshare or mediafire type sites to download files which would probably be a big bonus, esp. for the less "tech savvy".

Wyz

Life is like an adventure without the pixel hunts.

Dualnames

I heartily love this!
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

Diath

I would love a system that would be like or similar to steam!

Snake

Calin, I think you've got something here. I really like the idea of an AGS Steam.
Though some people may find the idea to be useless/unnecessary/pointless, it could really be fun. No one would be forcing them to use it, if they don't want to, they don't have to. You've got nothing to lose giving it an honest go.

It could even be a place where the commercial games can be easily found and purchased. People could download patches, demos and read AGS related Blog's/Ezine's.

I can really picture it being the place for everything AGS related. Maybe even download the latest version of AGS itself.

Having a link to various IRC clients with instructions on how to set it up and join #ags, have an in-program chat and friend's list I guess would be included without saying.

The biggest thing with me is I really wouldn't want to see it turn into a social networking site/program.
Grim: "You're making me want to quit smoking... stop it!;)"
miguel: "I second Grim, stop this nonsense! I love my cigarettes!"

Peder 🚀

Thumbs up from me, though I fear this would kill www.agsarchives.com :P.
Though I guess AGSArchives will be usefull for those who wouldent want to use AGS steam ;).

[edit]
On another note I would love if we could work together on this somehow.
I can easily provide hosting, as I have a dedicated server just for AGSArchives.
Though I dunno what you have in plan? :).

Ryan Timothy B

I think it's a great idea and I totally agree with Snake about the chat room, friends list, etc. Maybe even a popup like how windows messenger does if you get a message from someone; obviously with the option to disable it.

Perhaps even a popup or flag on the system icon that notifies you of new releases. Hopefully there is the ability to check if a game or something has focus or not.. I hate playing a game and having something steal the focus of my game, or having the damn popup message thing flickering in the corner.

I am also really unorganized with my AGS downloaded games. They're all littered in my download folder and looks unbelievably hideous.

Calin Leafshade

Seems like a positive response... If I did do it though it's a pretty involved project so I would need help I imagine.

Peder: If I did decide to give it a go I would definitely be in touch with you about server space and stuff. I do have unlimited webspace & bandwidth but a dedicated server would really be needed for a service like this.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk