Les Miserables is now freeware

Started by EnterTheStory (aka tolworthy), Sun 22/08/2010 18:15:08

Previous topic - Next topic

EnterTheStory (aka tolworthy)

In keeping with the spirit of the AGS boards, Les Miserables: the game of the book is now freeware. Click over to http://enterthestory.com/ and look for the red "FREE" label.

The game sold well for a first game, but one of the composers who provided live music did so on the understanding that the game would be free one day, and now it is.

Over the last couple of years (and particularly since upgrading to 3.x) players have reported some minor bugs, and these should all be fixed now. As a first game the underlying code is pretty complex, so there may be still some rough edges but nothing too serious. I hope someone enjoys it.

Oh,and I'd like to upload it to other places beside my own site. Any suggestions? It's 135 MB if that's relevant. And if anyone else wants to upload it to their site you don't need to ask permission, I'd be flattered.

Calin Leafshade

Peder at AGSArchives.com would be glad to provide a mirror im sure.

bicilotti

joelphilippage

Thanks so much! I look forward to playing this.

Peder 🚀

Bulbapuck

Thank you so much! *Downloading*

Peder 🚀

Just played it some myself today and I have to say it is very interesting and very well made!
I will probably buy the bundle of the other games next time I have some money coming into my bank account ;).

I like the idea how you link the games to eachother etc!

EnterTheStory (aka tolworthy)

Quote from: Peder Johnsen on Sat 28/08/2010 04:32:57I like the idea how you link the games to eachother etc!
Thanks! Originally the games literally connected. If a game was in the same folder you could literally walk back and forth between them. But that caused endless problems, as nobody has ever tested RunAGSGame under such extreme conditions. It worked 99% of the time, but  with a game that relied so much on connections a typical use would involve maybe a hundred switches between games, and so would be guaranteed to crash eventually. So I reluctantly had to change it so you can only move between games via the opening bookshelf. That seems to be stable.

The games still share the same cast, same locations, etc. - e.g. you can see one end of a street in Les Miserables and the other end of the same street in A Tale of Two Cities, and characters in Dante's Inferno do sometimes refer to Les Miserables. So now it shares the same game world in the sense that Marvel Comics or Star Wars stories share the same world.

Incidentally, by ending the unlimited back and forth between games it makes them much easier to make, and less confusing for the player, so it's probably for the best.
But the real test will be the story I'm working on now, The Count of Monte Cristo: literally half the scenes and characters are reused from other games. I'm going for a theater concept, where the same actors and props are used in different plays. This should allow for a new story every two months by next year, and possibly even a new story every month within ten years.

Jimbob

I love that book (Monte Cristo) and look forward to what you do with it. I've longed to write a game in the style of Dumas (which was pretty much episodic anyway) but I'm sure I'll get around to it someday.

I'll check this out first...
Current Project: A Hard Day's Knight

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk