Tune Contest 3rd of September - 22nd of September - Harps 'n' flutes!

Started by Oliwerko, Fri 03/09/2010 22:23:15

Previous topic - Next topic

Oliwerko

Everyone loves when the plucky sound of harp strings penetrates the silence. No one leaves a sweet hiss of a flute's breath without notice. And the best thing is having these two together for double pleasure!

What I want you to do this time is a song that makes heavy usage of harp(s) and flute(s). The only conditions given are:

- You have to use at least one harp and at least one flute
- There has to be at least one harp and at least one flute solo (and maybe a section with flute + harp only for added sweetness if you wish)

There are no other restrictions whatsoever, the song can be as long as you wish, you can use whatever type of harp and flute you wish. The rest of the instruments is up to you, you can use one flute and one harp, or a whole orchestra - your choice!

The deadline can be postponed if someone won't be able to make it in time.

I hope for a nice piece of music and wish you all good luck and plenty of fun composing!  :)

AnalogGuy

Sigh...  :(

Seems like there's either too few composers in AGS community or too few composers who are interested of such competitions.

I will do my own song for this so you will get at least some competitor. It's really disappointing to win for nothing...

I try to hurry and finish it tomorrow, but I may require to postpone it into next tuesday.
Ask if you want me to compose your game.
---
One thing that I would like to see happen with films is for music not to be treated as just one more ingredient, but as an integral and fundamental part, due to its fatal capacity to affect the mood of the movie.

Kabukibear

Yeah, life got in the way for me but I will try and pop something out today. It probably won't be great since I'll only have a few hours to work with it but it will be something.

Oliwerko

It's totally OK to postpone the deadline if it's needed. Let's extend it until wednesday the 22nd for now.

The spirit is more important than deadlines anyway.

Great entry Woltaire, and good luck ptpt88 and Kabukibear, it's nice to see some action here!

Kabukibear

Alright, this is what I came up with. Just a little jig but things are going to pick up and this is all the time I can put towards it.  Gotta run!

http://www.gametabs.net/files/user/Kabukibear/Jig.mp3

AnalogGuy

Finally! I managed to finish the song for the contest as promised.  ;D

It became a bit weird... maybe I should had spent more time with it, but at least it's "original".  ;)

The song is called;  "Waking up from unknown place (am I dreaming?)"

http://www.dmelody.com/music/Other%20Creators/AnalogGuy/Waking_up_from_unknown_place.mp3

I basically just improvised everything with a use of some overdubbing.
Ask if you want me to compose your game.
---
One thing that I would like to see happen with films is for music not to be treated as just one more ingredient, but as an integral and fundamental part, due to its fatal capacity to affect the mood of the movie.

Oliwerko

Well!

I'm glad that we have three entries, maybe Tune Compo isn't all that dead yet.

I've listened to all of the three entries.

Le Woltaire's track sounds very movie soundtrack-ish, creates a great suspense.
Kabukibear's Jig has a very pleasant sound. I really like the flute and harp sounds chosen, and the melodies are very nice. Exactly to my taste.
ptpt88's piece is just beautiful. I really felt like in a concert hall. It's very calm and relaxing and very well produced. What surprised me was the ending, which was a bit disappointing.

Ultimately, I'll go ahead and pronounce ptpt88 the winner. It makes use of more instruments than flutes and harps, but still has these two in the foreground. The atmosphere just got me.

So, congratulations to ptpt88 for winning, and to the rest of you for your great entries!

Alun

Aargh... whoops... I was planning to have an entry ready in an hour or two, but wasn't expecting the contest to be called so quickly.  Ah, well; that's what I get for waiting till the last minute, I guess.

Soup - The Comic Strip
http://www.soupcomic.com
Gods, heroes, monsters, and soup

Oliwerko

Sorry about that, I wasn't expecting any more entries.

But what about posting the entry anyway?  :)

Alun

Quote from: Oliwerko on Wed 22/09/2010 18:21:51
Sorry about that, I wasn't expecting any more entries.

But what about posting the entry anyway?  :)

Ah, well, since the contest was called I didn't bother to finish it; I left to do other things.  Could finish it now, I guess, but given everything else I had to do it doesn't seem like something I ought to put a priority on.

Anyway, my own fault; I should have mentioned that I had an entry in the works, or, better yet, just finished the dang thing earlier.  I'll make sure to get an earlier start on the next one.

EDIT: Eh, what the hey; I started it; may as well make an attempt at finishing it, even if it doesn't count for the contest.  If this thread isn't locked in the next hour, I'll try to get some version of it up.

EDIT 2: OK, threw the rest of it together; it's a little rushed, but at least I guess I can more or less call it done: here it is.

Soup - The Comic Strip
http://www.soupcomic.com
Gods, heroes, monsters, and soup

Dualnames

Congrats I heard this before Oliwerko announced the winner, and honestly I really loved it, and would be surprised if it didn't win. Not that winning has anything to do with anything. Congrats to all other entrants.  :D
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

Oliwerko

Alun - the melody is very pleasant, thanks for sharing the piece!

And Kabukibear - ptpt will post the next thread where the theme will be announced  :)

Questionable

All my trophies have disappeared... FINALLY! I'm free!

Kabukibear

Heh, yeah that's why I asked...sometimes there can be a long delay between the next announcement. I thought I could help nudge it along.  :-X

Kabukibear

Dualnames

Quote from: Kabukibear on Fri 08/10/2010 12:08:21
Anyone wanna step in? Or know how to contact ptp?

I did. He's just having trouble coping up with the theme. He's there, but he's just never done this, and got somewhat anxious. I'm sure he'll have something very soon.
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk