Sprite Jam: "Double Header" (4th - 18th Sept.) - Trophies! ProgZMax Wins!

Started by Alun, Sat 04/09/2010 16:29:37

Previous topic - Next topic

Alun

This jam's theme: Double Header

Because two heads are better than one!

Okay, sorry; that's a very old joke.  But anyway...

The theme of this sprite jam involves characters or animals with two heads.  Well, let's say at least two heads; three or more is okay too.  The heads don't have to be on the same pair of shoulders, or even on a pair of shoulders at all, as long as they belong to the same creature.  A person with two heads is fine, but you can also draw a pushmi-pullyu, or a monster with a second head on the end of its tail, or something like the mythological Geryon who, according to some accounts, had three bodies all joined to one pair of legs (but each with its own head).  As long as it's a single creature with multiple heads, it's fair game.

No restrictions on colors or size, as long as the sprite would be usable in an AGS game (which isn't much of a restriction, but, you know, 2000 pixels wide is probably too big).  Animation optional, but may be worth some bonus points.  Trophies for all entrants.

And... go!

Soup - The Comic Strip
http://www.soupcomic.com
Gods, heroes, monsters, and soup

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

The Giant Knight prepares to kill brave Sir Robin.

Head 1: "We'll kill him first, and then have tea and biscuits."

Head 2: "Yeah!"

Head 3: "Oh, not biscuits!"

Head 1: "Alright, alright!  Not biscuits.  But let's kill him anyway!"

Head 1/2/3:  "RIGHT!"

Head 1:  "He buggered off!"

Head 3:  "So he has, he scarpered!"

Sughly

So quick ProgZmax! Gah! Will have to think on this one to better that...

Dualnames

That looks amazingly amazing!!

And a great idea also! I love that movie! :D
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

Mad

That's what happens, if you lock the guys up in a bionic workshop:

(2x)                      

GreenBoy

Pinback

Thought I'd throw my hat(s) in the ring. Love the all the entries so far, (And ProgZMax entry... Just awesome).

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

That raven is very cool.  As is the robot(s).  And the A-Team mech.

All three should win.

Alun

Wow, some really great entries here!

I've been very busy the last few days and haven't been on the forums, so just wanted to drop by briefly and say that despite my recent absence I'm still going to be here tomorrow to award the trophies.  Though it's going to be a very hard choice... yeah, I'm going to be opening this up to a vote.

So, OK, at this point there are about 24 hours left if anyone wants to make any last-minute entries, and then the voting will start.  (If there's anyone who's still planning on entering but may not quite be able to make it by then, a small extension may be possible...)

Soup - The Comic Strip

Alun

OK, time's just about up.  If there's anyone who still wants to enter and needs a little more time, say so now.  Otherwise, in a few hours I'll open up the voting...

Soup - The Comic Strip

loominous

Looking for a writer

Alun

And a great last-minute entry!

OK, I guess it's time to start the voting.  With this many high-quality entries, I think maybe I'll say you can go ahead and vote for up to your top three, in order.  (You can vote for fewer, if you want, but basically in tallying the votes I'll give each entry 3 points for each person who voted it as their #1 choice, 2 points for each person who chose it as #2, and 1 point for each person who voted it as #3.)  Voting will be closed... hm.  OK, how long does voting usually go for?  (*Checks the threads to some previous sprite jams...*)  Wow, that long, eh?  Well, gives me more time to make the trophies, I guess.  OK, then, voting will close on the 25th.

I'll be casting a vote myself, but I want to take more time to look over all the submissions and make a decision.  There are so many great entries that even voting for my top three choices it's going to be hard to decide...

Soup - The Comic Strip

loominous

Personally I like short voting deadlines, like a day or two. They may not get all that many votes, but the momentum is kept up, and people don't hold off voting til the end. It's just a device for picking the next host anyway.

Votes:

#1 Pinback

Just great design.

#2 Mad

Cool design and idea.

#3 ProgZmax

Had it been an original idea, and not merely a rendering, I'd have placed it at #1. Still, nicely executed, and reminded me to go back and rewatch that movie.
Looking for a writer

Misj'

First some general critique (that everyone involved or not may wholeheartedly disagree with). Personally I'm a bit disappointed with this Jam's entries. Most of them look good - from a technical and 'still' point of view - but appear less suitable for a game sprite in my opinion. I don't say it can't be done, but I do feel most entrants focussed to much on creating a one-piece (pixel) art than on an animatable game sprite with good design and appealing character. Anyway, in the spirit of the Eurovision Song contest:

one point goes to: Culun <3rd place> for his simple (yet smiling) turtle that probably won't defeat the hare. From a technical point of view it's not the best piece in of the bunch (not even the third-best), but it made me smile. And unlike some of the others it wasn't overdone.
two points go to: Mad <2nd place> for his original idea and recognizable rendering (although I feel the faces are a little under-rendered compared to the GMC (or vice versa))
three points go to: Loominous <1st place> for his simple design that could easily work in a game and would be fun to animate (particularly considering that it appears to be under water)

Mad

#1 ProgZmax

Superbly pixelled! Especially Terry Jones is so recognisable.

#2 Pinback

Very good design, indeed, and I like the monochrome look. Could have been a contender for the first spot, but it is a bit jumbled in areas imho, so that some of the features aren't very readable.

#3 loominous

Just. Ãœber-. Cute.

Alun

Quote from: loominous on Sun 19/09/2010 00:54:22
Personally I like short voting deadlines, like a day or two. They may not get all that many votes, but the momentum is kept up, and people don't hold off voting til the end. It's just a device for picking the next host anyway.

Eh... you may be right.  I decided on the voting period by checking out at random a couple of old Sprite Jams that had been opened to votes, and both of them had voting periods of about a week.  Which I admit seemed long to me too, but I figured that was apparently the way it was normally done.  But it's entirely possible that the threads I happened to pick had unusually long voting periods, and anyway even if the voting period had been that long before it doesn't mean it has to be that long every time.

So, yeah, maybe the voting period's a bit long.  Don't know if it's really a good idea to change it after it's already been announced, but I'll probably have a shorter voting period next time.  (Well, if there is a next time, of course, which may be unlikely... I don't really think I have a particularly good chance of "winning" any more jams, but I guess you never know...)

Soup - The Comic Strip

Charlo

I entered this Sprite Jam because 3 good entries before me

1 point to GreenBoy, 2 point to Mad, 3 point to ProgZmax

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk