Sprite Jam: WAITING FOR THE BUS 01/09 to 02/08

Started by Derrick Freeland, Mon 10/01/2011 02:44:45

Previous topic - Next topic

Derrick Freeland

For this month's Sprite Jam, I'd like to promote the 'Jam' aspect and do something a bit more collaborative.  To this end, I present to you:

THE BUS STOP:

I'd like us to put together a group of people who happen to be waiting for this bus.  The bus stops at all destinations, real or imagined (it happens to be a Wednesday), so there aren't any restrictions on where our travelers might be heading.  The challenge is to show me where the travelers might be going based on their appearance, or what they have with them. 

The back-ground is 800 x 600.  I'm not going to be to picky about the size, but it would be nice if you could make the character to size.  The plan is to put all the characters together in one image at the end of the contest.  I can re-size the image to fit the characters, but that might restrict the amount of detail put into them.  As per usual, the sprites should fit into the AGS scheme of things.  Enjoy.

Dualnames

Hmm..that route 42 got my attention. I'm totally going to try and enter this.  ;)
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

Derrick Freeland

Here's a little something to get things started (non-entry):

Matti

Haha, nice entry, Derrick, I really like it.

Hopefully I find the time to enter too.

Derrick Freeland

ONLY FIVE DAYS LEFT!!  Maybe this jam wasn't all that inspired, but please don't let me  become 'That guy what killed the Sprite Jam' :'(  I don't think I can handle that level of infamy.  At least, not until diabolical schemes are unleashed on the world at large.

Buckethead

Dualnames

And here goes:

I've never done anything like that and also just noticed that the sprites has some stuff I needed to fix from the layers (noticeable on the left leg)
But I've had my fun.  :D

EDIT:
Spoiler
It's supposed to be nightcrawler, I didn't use any reference pics.
[close]
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

Derrick Freeland

HUZZAH FOR ENTRIES!!!  These are most excellent. 

All-righty-

Buckethead, I'm going to guess that this unfortunate fellow is some poor, corrupted soul on it's way to the underworld?

Dualnames, I'm guessing that this dashing fellow is on his way to The Grid (Tron world)?
(I'm trying desperately not to read the spoiler.  Patience Derrick, patience.)

Derrick Freeland

@Dualnames:

NIGHTCRAWLER!!

Hmm...  You nailed the face and skin tone.  I think I would have got it if we could make out the tail a bit more.

Dualnames

Quote from: Derrick Freeland on Sat 05/02/2011 21:27:43
@Dualnames:

NIGHTCRAWLER!!

Hmm...  You nailed the face and skin tone.  I think I would have got it if we could make out the tail a bit more.

I forgot the tail, and to think Nightcrawler is my favorite xman/xmen   ;)

Buckethead

It was suppose to be a headcrab zombie at some point but whatever you think it is, is fine  :P

Renegade Implementor

I've not tried something in this resolution before and there are a few spots I'm unhappy with, however, have another entry:

Dualnames

I have to ask, is that satchel filled with Hamlet scripts?

Renegade Implementor

Well, my entry was more along the lines of "teen in school-uniform", although it's generic enough to be open to interpretation.

If you want, the satchel could be filled with scripts to Godspell & Joseph.  The hair would have to be more red in tone, if I read your question correctly. :)

Derrick Freeland

Well, well...
We have a motley crew of commuters indeed:

My final decision TOMORROW !!

Monsieur OUXX

No wonder they all look cracked up, considering the shape of the leaves on the tree.

Derrick Freeland

Tomorrow has arrived:

Firstly, let me say what excellent submissions these are.  I especially appreciate the effort put into making them something you might actually find in an AGS game. 

So, as for artistic quality and overall uniqueness of design, all three entries are equally great, which leaves my decision in the hands of technicality.  To this end, my choice goes to RENEGADE IMPLEMENTOR.  RI's school student followed the guidelines to a t and gave me an idea about where this character was headed.   

See you on the next jam  :)

Dualnames

Renegade Implementor

Thanks very much.  I'm a little shocked as I thought both Buckethead & Dualnames had more visually dynamic sprites in comparison to mine.

Thanks for the competition Derrick, it forced me to try something outside my resolution "comfort zone".  I do like the shadows that were added to the lineup "screenshot", they add a nice touch.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk