Tune Contest (January 29 - February 13): Epic (Winner Announced)

Started by Viking, Sat 29/01/2011 18:10:31

Previous topic - Next topic

Viking

Great news!  One of Hollywood's premier motion picture studios has just commissioned you to write the score to their newest epic film!  There's lots of action, romance and adventure as the hero(ine)(s) make their way across the epic landscape to the final epic showdown!  The studio has hired the finest actors and actresses to work on the film, and the visual effects promise to be nothing short of epic.  They're already calculating how much money they'll be making off the epic sequels.  (Did I mention epic?)

Your job, for this contest, is to write the theme music for an epic film or series of films: think Lord of the Rings, or Harry Potter, or Star Wars, or The Matrix.  Many epic films have orchestral soundtracks, but yours does not have to be.  For example, the original Matrix has an orchestral theme heard near the beginning and a heavy metal theme heard near the end.  Your music just has to conjure up grand, epic images in the listener's mind.

So, here are the formal rules:

• Write theme music for an epic film.
  • Your theme music must be at least one minute long.
  • You may use any genre you like.
  • Your entry must be posted in this thread by 12am on February 14, Alaska Time.  (In other words, as long as you're done by the end of February 13 in whatever time zone you live in, you're fine.)
  • After the deadline, I'll post the winners.

Happy composing!

ShiverMeSideways

Awesome theme, Viking!

I'll be entering, and I've even started a song. I'll probably work on it more after tomorrow's exam (my last, finally!), but here's a preview for anyone interested: http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/395869.

I hope it fits the rules :D .

Cheers!

Wyz

Hey, haven't seen you in a while, welcome back! :D

Hmmm, haven't seen myself in C&A too for I can only guess the same reasons but this sounds like a cool theme, maybe I'll make something.  :)
Life is like an adventure without the pixel hunts.

ShiverMeSideways

Quote from: Wyz on Tue 01/02/2011 00:47:01
Hey, haven't seen you in a while, welcome back! :D

Hmmm, haven't seen myself in C&A too for I can only guess the same reasons but this sounds like a cool theme, maybe I'll make something.  :)

Thank you! Also, please do make something, you're awesome! :D

So, here's my submission, finally completed:

I recommend you download, because the high number of sounds and instruments doesn't translate well into the Newgrounds format, but I uploaded it there for those who just want a quick listen.

It is, quite obviously, the main theme to a grandiouse pirate adventure movie and it is also my first orchestral job.

Hope you guys and gals like it! :)

Viking

ShiverMeSideways,

Excellent, thanks for entering!

Everyone else,

There are only five days left -- get your submissions in while you still can! :)

nihilyst

Okay, due to lack of time, this one's rather messy. Nah, just kidding, I just fuck up the rhythm every time :D

It's a tragic romance comes to an unhappy end kind of thing:
Download here

Wyz

I haven't had time to polish it but here's my entry anyways:

Meet Hollywood's next cliché epic monster movie with a theme to fit:

After the rain falls
Life is like an adventure without the pixel hunts.

Viking

Excellent, thanks to everyone for the entries!  Very difficult to pick a winner.  As usual, I'll start with a critique of each, with my inimitable mix of pomposity, ignorance and narrow-mindedness!

ShiverMeSideways:

• + Definitely captures that "epic" feeling
  • + The 6/8 "reel" type rhythm, and English horn (I think) at the beginning certainly lend it a very pirate-y air
  • - Rather heavy on the gong at the beginning, and the cymbals later
  • - Seems pretty repetitive in quite a few parts

Nihilyst:

• + Lovely music
  • + Definitely captures the "tragic romance" you're going for
  • + Effective selection of instruments, and pretty good samples, are quite effective
  • - As you mentioned, the parts are not played quite together; while realistic, it's quite a bit further apart than the average studio orchestra would be
  • - Doesn't feel particularly "epic" to me, more like a chick flick ;)

Wyz:

• + Picks up nicely around the two-minute mark
  • - Rather repetitive accompaniment
  • - Sparse instrumentation (piano and horn at the beginning) doesn't feel very "epic", I don't really get a "monster movie" vibe from this :)
  • - Low horn at the beginning is in a weak, rather "tubby" part of its range

With such different entries, it's tough to pick a winner.  Although I thought that Nihilyst's was musically the best of the bunch, I thought that ShiverMeSideways best captured the rules of the competition.

So...for this round, the winner is ShiverMeSideways!  Congratulations, and I look forward to the next tune contest!

ShiverMeSideways

Woah, thanks a lot, Viking, and very good entries from everyone. I think I already have an idea for a compo, so I'll get to that! :D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk