Tune contest (February 15th - March 1st): Prog/Avant-garde - We have a WINNER!

Started by ShiverMeSideways, Tue 15/02/2011 09:24:20

Previous topic - Next topic

ShiverMeSideways

Music, for such a limitless genre, is often used to create and recreate the same thing continuously. Of course, this is not the case for quite a number of musicians, but for the most part, it's just re-inventing walking and hot water.

So, my challenge to all you talented musicians is this: create a progressive/avant-garde piece of music.

That's the only rule - any format, any length, any instruments. Having said that, since this allows for a lot of experimentation, I'll be using two guidelines to decide the winner:

* Experimentation - how "far-out" the piece was
* Cohesion - it's good to be nutty, but it should have some logic behind it

Given the highly free-form manner of such music and in order to avoid confusion, posting a few words about the thought process behind the song would also be helpful.

Now, go forth and conquer! :D Good luck!

nihilyst

Okay, here's my entry:

Lucida

I think I had Porcupine Tree in mind (especially Arriving Somewhere But Not Here), so I thought I'd have a go at using highly deformed instruments, changing the instrumentation altogether and importing some samples. I failed.

Viking

Well, I'm about halfway through a composition.  Unfortunately, our family's main computer, on which I do most of my composition, died today (hopefully not permanently!).  If I cannot resuscitate it tonight or tomorrow, I probably will not finish in time to enter.  I'll do my best, though!

ShiverMeSideways

Well, it seems that the again, my extension did squat to generate more competition.

Nevertheless, Nihilyst's piece is quite interesting and deserves to win - if only by lack of opponents.

Congrats and good luck on the next tune compo!

Wyz

I want to say: it was an awesome theme for the theme contest, but I was unable to enter it unfortunately. I do hope it returns someday!

Also cool song nihilyst! Good luck organizing the next compo.
Life is like an adventure without the pixel hunts.

Viking

Sorry I couldn't finish in time!  Sickness, work and two computers dying in quick succession conspired against me. :)  It was a great theme, though.

Congratulations, Nihilyst!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk