MAGS April: "Time" (CLOSED)

Started by Atelier, Fri 01/04/2011 16:28:42

Previous topic - Next topic

hedgefield

Same here. Sent the beta off to playtesters two days ago, so what's left is fixing a handful of bugs and doing some animations. I should be able to submit somewhere in the course of wednesday.

Rocco

Its not so promising here.
Feels and looks slowly like a real game,
but there so much unexpeted issues suddenly coming up.
And if sorted all this things out, which will take at least one day,
the game has to be balanced, tested and proofreaded.

Unfortunatly there are so much issues to solve that i dont can give the game to betatesters and proofreading today.
If i must realease tomorrow, i guess i must submit a game which isnt finished and polished as i wish,
and in the state it could and has to be, so i want to ask if its possible to extend the deadline again until Thursday night.  :P

Hudders

Quote from: Rocco on Tue 03/05/2011 12:23:22
extend the deadline again

I think this would be a mistake. There has to be a point where you just say "enough's enough".

Spare a thought for those of us waiting on MAGS May.

WHAM

I have to agree with Hudders on this one. Since one of the basic ideas behind MAGS is to practice working with deadlines, I think there should be a hard limit to how much extenstion there can be. We all could make better games if we just had more time. This will not change even if we get 10 days worth of extra time. 3 days seems enough for me, since everyone was aiming for the 30th anyway (weren't we?)
Wrongthinker and anticitizen one. Pending removal to memory hole. | WHAMGAMES proudly presents: The Night Falls, a community roleplaying game

arj0n

Rocco, maybe abandon the MAGS-ship this time and make a normal (or deluxe) finished
version of your game (without dealing with a deadline) and join MAGS the next time again?

Or, if possible, cut out the/some problem-parts of the game, test it and finished it within time...

Rocco

Oh no, i had worked like a MADMAN!!! on this game the whole month,
and i will release it, thats for sure, in the worst case without extern betatests and without a proofreaded english version,
what makes me a little sad, cause my english is bad, and its for sure that i play the game not in the same way, like an extern person,
who will encounter bugs, that i never face bymyself,
but i can't do more as work on the game until i slide off from my chair (which i did the last days and weeks.  ;))

btw. its not possible to cut things off in this kind of game.

I can understand Hudders, and the guys waiting for the new mags, (couldnt start a new one anyway?),
but Whams statement seems a bit two faced to me,
Quote from: WHAM on Tue 03/05/2011 13:38:16
I have to agree with Hudders on this one. Since one of the basic ideas behind MAGS is to practice working with deadlines, ...
cause its easy to decide against a 1 day extension, when you have finished your game allready,
and maybe you forgot you were in the same position 1 week ago to beg for an extension.

butI'm wasting my time here in the forum philosophize, when an unfinished MAGS Game waits on my harddrive.  :o  :o

arj0n

Rocco, I really really hope you manage to release your mags game in time.

Thumbs up anyway for the hard work you guys all put in this contest!

mode7

I'd say release it - no matter what state it is in. Its frustrating to do something for a competition and ending up submitting nothing at all.

WHAM

But my game is not finished yet...  :(
I'm looking at working on this until around 2 or 3 o'clock in the night to actually add the ending to my game, among other things. Plus I've already had to drop two thirds of content from my original plan, even with the extended deadline.

It ain't all roses on this end either, Rocco, my boy

Wrongthinker and anticitizen one. Pending removal to memory hole. | WHAMGAMES proudly presents: The Night Falls, a community roleplaying game

Rocco

Welcome to the club of the distinguished supporters of fanmade Computergames,
sitting until 3 or 4 in the morning, and coding like hell.  :)

I'll take a half hour brake now, and then somewhere later in the night should be the exhilarating moment,
when i play my game the first time from start to finish. Yeahhh......  :D

So 4:08 and its done, i played it the first time from start to finish.  :D

WHAM

Last day of the MAGS! Excitement builds!

Squashed or chose to ignore all reported bugs yesterday, started addin a new (small) feature. The ending of the game is still unfinished, I will have to simplify it a little. Added all sound effects I could, still could do a lot better.

Looks like I'll be working all the way into midnight tonight, again...

mode7

Damn I slept in... ::)
Ok guys lets roll!!!

abstauber

This the most exciting MAGS in ages (for me). I'm really excited what you guys come up with.

Hudders

Quote from: Rocco on Tue 03/05/2011 16:58:20
Quote from: WHAM on Tue 03/05/2011 13:38:16
I have to agree with Hudders on this one. Since one of the basic ideas behind MAGS is to practice working with deadlines, ...
cause its easy to decide against a 1 day extension, when you have finished your game already,

A one day extension is quickly followed by another and another. Before you know it you've had a week's extension.

It's possible that there is room for a larger, more vaguely defined, MAGS. Say, three month deadlines, (SAGS - Seasonal AGS :P ) with one-word themes: e.g. SAGS Summer: "Cheese". Make a game involving cheese in some way.

Just a thought. :)

mode7

So heres my game - at least a part of it:

Have fun playing

NAME: Concurrence

Link
http://www.mediafire.com/?a9pyrw0uq8atzvp

UPDATE: Fixed the sound bug

If anyone getting problems with the save system: Just hitting R while startup will override it.

Hudders

I'm getting an error, mode7:

QuoteUnable to determine startup path: GetShortPathNameW failed. The specified game file might be missing.

arj0n

@mode7: AWESOME

EDIT:
when starting the game, the menu is shown for a second before the intro is shown...

EDIT2:
I hereby demand a full version  ;)

AnalogGuy

Damn... the music is out of sync in the intro. Hopefully mode7 can fix it soon.
Ask if you want me to compose your game.
---
One thing that I would like to see happen with films is for music not to be treated as just one more ingredient, but as an integral and fundamental part, due to its fatal capacity to affect the mood of the movie.

mode7

Quote from: Hudders on Wed 04/05/2011 13:27:35

QuoteUnable to determine startup path: GetShortPathNameW failed. The specified game file might be missing.

Strange what os are you on?
Anyone else getting this error

arj0n

Quote from: mode7 on Wed 04/05/2011 15:53:55
Quote from: Hudders on Wed 04/05/2011 13:27:35

Strange what os are you on?
Anyone else getting this error
Nope (running on 64bit win7)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk