OMG, It's Barn Runner 5, Chapter Three!!

Started by Ponch, Sun 19/06/2011 17:12:33

Previous topic - Next topic

Wonkyth

Eh, I've already failed to submit two assignments and flunked an exam.
Time for some relaxation!
"But with a ninja on your face, you live longer!"

Intense Degree

FANTASTIC! ;D

Cannot wait, but have to, stupid job... >:(

LUniqueDan

oH yEAH pONCH! i'M SOOOOOO SOLD FOR A mULEBORO RIGHT NOW!
Downloading and playing tonite at home.

Tx for the game. I was really wating for this.
"I've... seen things you people wouldn't believe. Destroyed pigeon nests on the roof of the toolshed. I watched dead mice glitter in the dark, near the rain gutter trap.
All those moments... will be lost... in time, like tears... in... rain."

Ponch

WonkE3th: That's the spirit! Tell life to piss off -- There's a new Barn Runner game! It's totally worth shirking your responsibilities!

Intense Degree: Job? What are you doing? Prioritizing things? Sheesh! Take a lesson from WonkE3th.

LUniqueDan: Are you telling me you got hooked on cigarettes just by looking at a badly drawn picture of some? My God! The media was right! Cigarettes are worse than Hitler!  :o

Dualnames

The game unfolds in an amazing way puzzle-design-wise. Way to go so far. I'm trying to rush to the finish and still fail. Which is great :P
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

Ponch

Quote from: Dualnames on Mon 20/06/2011 19:46:58
The game unfolds in an amazing way puzzle-design-wise. Way to go so far. I'm trying to rush to the finish and still fail. Which is great :P

Glad to see you haven't beaten it yet. It's so dispiriting to spend ages and ages working on a game only to watch people finish it in a single evening. This time around I was hoping that wouldn't happen. Good to see I finally made a game you couldn't beat on your lunch break! (And all I had to do was release it several years behind schedule! -- By that logic, I should still be playing Duke Nukem Forever in the retirement home!)

Dualnames

Also PUPPET SHOW. MAN, I COULDN'T STOP LAUGHING.
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

Stee

Quote from: PE3nch on Mon 20/06/2011 21:10:11

Glad to see you haven't beaten it yet. It's so dispiriting to spend ages and ages working on a game only to watch people finish it in a single evening.

Just completed. Really nice game!

Spoiler
Just kidding! Looking forward to playing it though. It's been a long time since i've been able to play a Prick  ;D
[close]
<Babar> do me, do me, do me! :D
<ProgZMax> I got an idea - I reached in my pocket and pulled out my Galen. <timofonic2> Maybe I'm a bit gay, enough for do multitask and being romantical

Ponch

Dual: Thanks, man! The puppet show is my favorite egg in the entire game. It was quite a bit of work to do just for an egg, so I'm glad someone found it!  :D

Stee: If I say so myself, of all the heroes of ancient myth and modern fiction named Prick, Prick Peckard is the greatest. ;)

Airborne

OMFG it is finally here!!!  Do you know, ponch, how much disappointment I getting every time when I checked in here and saw nothing from this chapter!  At the first it said coming Feb 2009.  When the time came, nothing... well, never mind as I know "delay" is a common practice in game industry.  Then 2010 passed... nothing but the demo...  I was losing hope....  UNTIL NOW!  \o/

For God sake please don't make us wait THAT long in the future, PLEASE!

Ponch

Fear not, Airborne. The next game comes out in December. I promise you I'll make that deadline. With any luck parts 5 and 6 will come out next year and the Forever Friday saga will finally come to an end. :)

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

Parts 5 and 6?  Milking this series a bit, aren't you?  Why not just wrap it all together into part 4 and be done with it, that way I don't need to keep rifling through passwords.

THINK OF THE PASSWORDS!  You'll killing me, man.

Ponch

Quote from: ProgZmax on Wed 22/06/2011 17:23:36
Parts 5 and 6?  Milking this series a bit, aren't you?  Why not just wrap it all together into part 4 and be done with it, that way I don't need to keep rifling through passwords.

THINK OF THE PASSWORDS!  You'll killing me, man.

To be fair, Forever Friday was always bloated and overstuffed with shoddy puzzles and too much dialog. It's not like I didn't announce that from the outset. It only SEEMS more bloated because I'm taking so long to finish it, giving people more time to reflect on just how poorly made and generally slapped together my games are. ;)

And a true dudebro doesn't complain when life throws some hardships (i.e. passwords) in is path. He just mans up and does what he has to do. You have to set an example for the younger dudebros like Ben304 and Dualnames. This world is tough and confusing. Now more than ever, it seems. They're looking to you, ProgZ.

Don't let them down.

:'(
(Cue sad music)

(Distant, echoing voice over: Don't let them down)

Dualnames

AS A TRUE FAN OF THIS SERIES I HAVE TO SAY.

Passwords? Arcade Mode? Director's Cut? Side Missions?

YOU MUST BE A MAN TO HANDLE ALL OF THOSE.

Ponch

Quote from: Dualnames on Thu 23/06/2011 13:37:42
AS A TRUE FAN OF THIS SERIES I HAVE TO SAY.

Passwords? Arcade Mode? Director's Cut? Side Missions?

YOU MUST BE A MAN TO HANDLE ALL OF THOSE.

As I said in the "Awesome!" trailer from a while ago, I was putting all that extra development time to good use!  :D

Dualnames

This is a personal opinion, and only PONCH HIMSELF may judge me. THE REST OF YOU CAN F!@#$ OFF. Politely.

Starting off, the game started in an amazing way with the french jokes and all. I totally laughed my ass off. The puzzles were also great in this part, and generally a very enjoyable start.

Now, the game switched to the BGCZ. The puzzles here remind me of MI2. Lots of backtracking (but not that annoying, especially when Prick jokes about it), and I really remembered the Map puzzles, especially the one with the wind and the seagull.

I felt this game was a bit less funny than the others though. It had some great moments, don't get me wrong, but I didn't laugh all the time, like I used to. That's not necessarily bad. There were some great moments, nevertheless, especially the PUPPET SHOW and the April's Narrating, and the reporter, LOL TO THAT.

I believe the less laughing involves Prick not narrating in the same level. He barely narrates here, like 12-20 dialogues or so. Which what I've always enjoyed.

I'm gonna say I liked this less than part 2, which still holds the prize as a really underrated gem in my honest opinion.

Also about the mailbot. I'm sure you made Ben smile like a motherfucker.
I've kind of bashed two of my favorite AGS franchises of all time, so don't judge me as an asshole, I love your games like nothing, and same goes for Technocrat. I just felt that this part was a bit, just barely inferior to the rest.

Ponch

Nice review. I can't take issue with any of it.

Prick having fewer monologues was an intentional choice. For the first time in years, Prick is so busy that he doesn't have the time to get lost in his own head. There are only a few moments, like in the barn, where he has a minute to catch his breath and revert to his old ways.

I tried to keep the backtracking to a minimum. But I also wanted to address the complaints that my games tend to be linear, so it was a bit of a balancing act.

All in all, I'm glad you liked it.

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

QuoteAnd a true dudebro doesn't complain when life throws some hardships (i.e. passwords) in is path. He just mans up and does what he has to do.

Fair enough, I concede my lack of dudebroness on this topic.  However...

The minigames need some pretty severe balancing as they are, and the super-vehicle is a super pussy and could stand to take a few dents to the hull instead of piloting a Ford Pinto everywhere.  A REAL dudebro would fix this Airwolf Supercar to transform it from pussy into awesome.

Ponch

Quote from: ProgZmax on Thu 23/06/2011 18:18:36
The minigames need some pretty severe balancing as they are, and the super-vehicle is a super pussy and could stand to take a few dents to the hull instead of piloting a Ford Pinto everywhere.

I'm assuming the mini-games you're talking about are the "real life" ones and not the ones in the truck stop, right? What would you like to see? More checkpoint saves?

As far as taking the dents in the hull with the oncoming traffic, maybe Harry doesn't want to scrape the paint?  ;) Besides, I like my old school arcades old school tough. That good old "one hit and you're toast" Spy Hunter style. I know not everyone shares that sentiment, so I included the arcade mode on/off button. I guess I could take another pass at it.

Frodo

Excellent game so far.  I'm close to getting the first transmitter up.   :=

Love all the stuff in BGCZ.  It's great how you keep getting sent to another location, to complete a side-quest, but you can't do the side-quest until you've done something else.  So you get more and more sidetracked from the main quest, which is putting the transmitters up.   :)

And Ponch, love the pupper show:  How he bacame a man.   ;D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk