Tune contest 11/8: Arabian nights! Winner Announced!

Started by noavana, Wed 20/07/2011 23:07:37

Previous topic - Next topic

noavana

Ah, Salaam and Good Evening to you, my dear friends.
Please, please come closer, ah uh, too close, a little to close...
I challenge you to compose a song, a diamond in the rough if you will, capturing the winds of the deserts, the heat in the bazaar streets and the enticing aroma of sweaty men in robes.

Be creative, be exotic, be on time :)
Good luck,
Abu.

Dualnames

Interesting! Expect my entry shortly, princess Noa
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

noavana

ShiverMeSideways

I'm also writing down the chords a song that is going to be called...

"Forbidden Fruit"

Feel free to let your imagination run wild! :D

(Disclaimer: the actual song is going to be more than chords, of course)

noavana

I'm extending the deadline till the end of this week.
You can do it :)

noavana

Ok the crowd demanded an extension due to the OROW so you got till 11/8!

@selmiak, that was beautiful and inspiring. It would be nice if somone did something similar but not necessarily :)

ShiverMeSideways

Ok, so... This is probably the crappiest thing you'll hear all year! :=

Since my computer died and the one I have access to does not support a microphone or a guitar plugin, I was forced to use my mp3 player to record and the result... well, it shall speak for itself. Add to that the frustration of using TuxGuitar which OMGASDFGS... So, this was the best I could do. Half of it is improvised, and while I manage to stay around what I want for 90%, there are tons of mistakes and rhythm misses.

But I really wanted to enter and play around with the harmonic minor scale, so I really wanted to do something. If it is too horrible, please let me know, Noa, and I will take out of the race. It is not my intention to provide songs which are so incredibly sub-par you might be insulted - I just wanted to make a song, despite all the constraints I have.

Well, enough talk, here it is: Forbidden Fruit (live in the Bedroom/Wind tunnel).

AnalogGuy

Oh my... looks so bad for the contest... shall I rescue it an compose something quickly today or are you going to extend the deadline even longer?
Ask if you want me to compose your game.
---
One thing that I would like to see happen with films is for music not to be treated as just one more ingredient, but as an integral and fundamental part, due to its fatal capacity to affect the mood of the movie.

Wyz

I present you:
Far away desert (5:35)

A mix between Arabic music and drum 'n bass :D
Life is like an adventure without the pixel hunts.

noavana

Quote from: ptpt88 on Thu 11/08/2011 11:44:30
Oh my... looks so bad for the contest... shall I rescue it an compose something quickly today or are you going to extend the deadline even longer?

I wish I could extend more but I'm going on holiday today plus there was an extention already due to the OROW.
Next time... :)

@Shivermesideways and Wyz, thanks for participating! :D
I loved both tracks!
Shivers, with the hard rock epic harmoic guitars (I also liked the pic in the file, nice touch) .
Wyz, with 5 minutes of inspiring music that made me want to go belly dancing.

And the winner is...

Wyz!
I think that's what I was thinking about when I started the competition and I think you nailed it with the instrument selection (although I did love Shivers' tune as well, it was a very hard decision)  :D

Wyz

Yaaaay!
I also have to thank you for the theme. I did not know what a ney and a riq were prior to this competition. ;D And I've learned a lot about the Arabic scales which was interesting really.

@ Dan
I think that when your computer didn't get diarrhea you'd have had a better chance. I hope he gets well soon, or is replaced by a newer model ;)

I'll start working on a new competition.
Life is like an adventure without the pixel hunts.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk