Submerged - LaSol

Started by jkohen, Sun 27/02/2011 09:50:51

Previous topic - Next topic

jkohen

Having some trouble here, I can't keep the water from blasting me against the glass.
Spoiler

I've put the two blocks of wood and hammered them in place, but after a while they chip and give in anyway.

I've shutdown the valve inside "the floor" and turned off the electricity from the fusebox. I've gotten the radio to work, but the rescue team doesn't arrive.
[close]

WHAM

Spoiler

The more wod you place on the door, the longer the door will last, giving you more time.

The rescue team will arrive after a set amount of time, from when you first use the radio to call for help.
[close]
Wrongthinker and anticitizen one. Pending removal to memory hole. | WHAMGAMES proudly presents: The Night Falls, a community roleplaying game

Tamanegi

I don't even get that far...

Spoiler
I taped the wire, turned off the fuse and repaired the ladder, but how do I use it? I can't put it anywhere.
[close]
Don't Look! MAGS 12-2010
Mediocre Expectations Current development blog

Leon

You don't use the ladder, just use the tools on the right spots. If the ladder is needed, you'll use it automatically.
Ultimate Game Solutions - Because there is a solution for everything

Igor Hardy

I've got no idea how to open the window. I've got a hammer that is not good enough for that job, and such promising items as the bullet and the fire extinguisher are not interesting enough for the main character to carry them around.

Leon

The hammer is good enough for the job. But...
Spoiler
Try a combination of tools...
[close]
In case you're still wondering:
Spoiler
Use the screwdriver first.
[close]

Igor Hardy

Damn, I should have though of that!  >:( Must be the pressure of that dangerous situation that has affected my thinking. But thanks very much for help, Leon.

Kjammer

I have a question.

Spoiler
Sometimes the door breaks when the water level is up to my neck, and sometimes it breaks when the water is below the shoulders.  The door is being reinforced in both these cases.  What actually determines when the door breaks open?
[close]

WHAM

@ Kjammer

Spoiler

The door breaks after a set amount of time has passed, which can be delayed by reinforcing the door and keeping the water leakage to a minimum, OR if the water level rechers the player character's neck, as that would have led to some very unrealistic situations.

Basically if you play really well, the water will reach your neck before the door breaks. If you play poorly or forget to fully reinforce the door, the door will break earlier.

The system is far from perfect, as I ran out of time refining it as the MAGS deadline got closer, so I just sort of went "Meh, it's good enough..."  :D
[close]
Wrongthinker and anticitizen one. Pending removal to memory hole. | WHAMGAMES proudly presents: The Night Falls, a community roleplaying game

SpacePirateCaine

Great work WHAM - Just finished playing through, and I have to say - impressive! You've definitely got a knack for creating atmosphere. I'm downloading Infection now as well, just to get a little more, though it's a little too late at night for me to play right now.

Had a quick question, though - are there multiple endings? As the ending I got seemed sort of time-based, like I'd done basically everything I need to do, then it was just a matter of waiting for something to happen, and since I was pretty vigilant in avoiding disaster, it took a few minutes of just standing around and waiting, once I was absolutely sure I had done what I needed to.

Also:
Spoiler
Are the bullet, spools of wire, bandages and fire extinguisher just complete red herrings? Seems sort of like Chekhov's gun - like there should have been some use for them, which lead me to believe that there must have been another ending - perhaps one where I'm not killed by some shadow government operation?
[close]

Regardless, it's a great piece of gaming - tense and difficult without being frustrating. And the voice acting was great - very well delivered by most of the cast. I'd love to see the story extended into something even bigger.

Thanks, and looking forward to seeing more from you soon!
Check out MonstroCity! | Level 0 NPCs on YouTube! | Life's far too short to be pessimistic.

WHAM

@SpacePirateCaine
I listed all endings here: http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/yabb/index.php?topic=42977.msg571455#msg571455

Spoiler

Those items are red herrings of sorts. I had some interactions planned for some of  them, but ran out of time and simply left them lying about, since taking them out would have made the corridor seem a bit barren. The bullet is a nod-wink towards the Infection 2 demo I made, which has an identical box in it.
[close]

I have some designs and ideas for a sequel, but I've already started a different project (with time-based elements, so keep an eye out for it if you like those) that I intend to wrap up by the end of the year.

SpacePirateCaine

@WHAM:

Sweet - looks like I got the "best" ending (Let's hear it for clicking around while waiting for the timer). And I most certainly do enjoy it. To be honest, I haven't really ever considered myself much of a fan of adventures with time limits before recently, as it makes it harder for me to puzzle-solve, but this and a few other projects lately have really given me some inspiration in my own work as well.

I think that you found the butter zone for limited time: Not being chased by a creature and fumbling around for your weapon, but knowing that you're facing impending doom, but that if you take to the task with a clear head and are mindful of your surroundings, you can do something about it. Really builds up the suspense, and I hope that you can achieve that same level on other projects.

And thanks for sating my curiosity above. I obsess about potential MacGuffins and didn't have a frame of reference for your other game that may have tipped me off about the object in question.

Well done. Looking forward to more.
Check out MonstroCity! | Level 0 NPCs on YouTube! | Life's far too short to be pessimistic.

SharpLight

Quote from: jkohen on Sun 27/02/2011 09:50:51
Having some trouble here, I can't keep the water from blasting me against the glass.
Spoiler

I've put the two blocks of wood and hammered them in place, but after a while they chip and give in anyway.

I've shutdown the valve inside "the floor" and turned off the electricity from the fusebox. I've gotten the radio to work, but the rescue team doesn't arrive.
[close]

How do I
Spoiler
hammer the blocks of wood or how do I get a hammer
[close]

and how can I
Spoiler
shutdown the valve?
[close]

SharpLight

Quote from: Aqala on Wed 03/08/2011 20:15:10

How do I
Spoiler
hammer the blocks of wood or how do I get a hammer
[close]

and how can I
Spoiler
shutdown the valve?
[close]

I found the first item:
Spoiler
the hammer falls down with the two-by-fours
[close]

Leon

And to close the valve...
Spoiler
you need the wrench and use it on the 'floorplate' covering the valve. Once you've done that and gained access to the valve you need to close it.
[close]
You also need to use tools for that.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk