MAGS August: "Evil Twin" (CLOSED)

Started by Atelier, Sun 31/07/2011 19:35:59

Previous topic - Next topic

Atelier

Topic: 'Evil Twin'

This month's guidelines were set by vertigoaddict:

Create a game featuring a set of twins or a couple (etc), with one more evil than the other...
For bonus lols you can include a can of compressed air as an inventory item.

To avoid the whole 'define evil' debate, please provide your own definition!

Ideas to help you:

• A child impersonates their sibling to their own advantage.
• Pretty much an episode of Itchy and Scratchy.
• A husband finds out his wife is a matrimonial maniac.

fig 1: a zombie prawn!
fig 2: more creepy children!

Ending 30/8/11

What is MAGS?

MAGS is a monthly competition for all amateur adventure game makers. The idea is to create a game in under a month, following the rules set by the previous winner. It aims to help you work to a deadline, improve your skills, or provide a kick-start into making adventure games. Regardless of skill, MAGS is for everyone. Voting is based on "favorite" games, and not the most artistic, or the best coded. If you have bad art skills, use it as a chance to do some graphic work. If you're sub-standard at coding, use it as a chance to give scripting a go. Ultimately, people will vote for the most enjoyable entry.

You may get help for the competition, although you must end up doing something yourself. You should however be warned that it proves difficult to organize a big team within thirty days. You are not allowed to use material already created before this competition. Your game must be completely new! Music and sound is an exception; you can use free material that is available to the public, if you wish. Modules and templates are also allowed. Please do not enter the competition with a rushed entry (a game created last minute). Sure, you can make a game and rush it - but don't do this just to win by default.

Entering MAGS is simple. First, conceptualise your game following the month's criteria (see top). Second, create your game fueled only by coffee. Third, finally, and most importantly, post your game here, including:

✓ A working download link.
✓ The title of your game.
✓ A suitable screenshot.

At the end of the month, the all-important voting will begin! This period usually lasts fifteen days. Should you win, along with announcing the next month's rules, your name and game will be immortalised in the MAGS Archive. For more information visit the Official MAGS website.

Duzz

It's been a long time since I've done anything in AGS, and MAGS should be a good way of getting back in to it. I think I've got a good idea too, so I'M IN.  :=
Powerhoof - My new indie games company! | Wintermute Studios - My older AGS games: The Historical League of Bouncy Boxing, Grr! Bearly Sane,  Duzz Quest...

Chicky

Duzz! Freakin' badass, it's been a while ;)

Grr sequel? I love that game.

Atelier

Quote from: Duzz on Tue 02/08/2011 00:58:21
It's been a long time since I've done anything in AGS, and MAGS should be a good way of getting back in to it. I think I've got a good idea too, so I'M IN.  :=

Yay :) I think I may enter this one myself. Then I can win no matter what!

PS. I can also give myself a two month extension. Bring on the competition bitches!!

Ghost

Aw gee, what IS it with MAGS lately- the themes just get better and better... and I'm suffering heavy caffeine withdrawal.

Atelier

My own entry is coming along ok I think. It will be my first game!

Quote from: Duzz on Tue 02/08/2011 00:58:21

How's it going dude?

Duzz

Yeah, great!  I'm getting some help with backgrounds and music from a couple of friends, and I have about a third of the game scripted with placeholder graphics, and the rest is pretty much all planned out.  I want to get it fully playable early so I'll have time to record dialog too.

I've been trying to do little programming/game side projects for a while, but I'd forgot how fun it was using AGS and being able to get so much done so quickly.  ;D

So... now OROW is over, you've got 3 weeks left everyone! :P

Edit (13/8):

Just an update. Still coming along nicely, I've got a novel mechanic/interface which suits the theme and characters well and a twist on the theme that I don't want to give it away yet. It's a lot harder making a game while working full time than it was when I was at uni and bumming around home all day, but I've got some help and I'm totally psyched about it.

Here's an early shot of one of the rooms, again, not giving anything away yet, so no characters.  The actual game's in 320x200, with these painted rooms scaled down and dithered; DoTT / monkey island 2 style.

Anyone else entering this month? (Do it!)
Powerhoof - My new indie games company! | Wintermute Studios - My older AGS games: The Historical League of Bouncy Boxing, Grr! Bearly Sane,  Duzz Quest...

Armageddon

I just had a great idea and I think I can make it in three weeks.

Ponch

Quote from: Duzz on Tue 09/08/2011 00:38:28
Anyone else entering this month? (Do it!)

I'm doing my best. But I'm afraid my game design may have been a little too ambitious. We'll see if I can make the deadline or not.  :-\

Armageddon

WHAT COULD IT MEAN!!! :o

EDIT:

Here is another one.

Atelier

Wow Duzz, nice screen! Armageddon, very avant-garde :P

Quote from: Ponch on Sat 13/08/2011 05:54:25
I'm doing my best. But I'm afraid my game design may have been a little too ambitious. We'll see if I can make the deadline or not.  :-\

I second this. I may have to fold but here's one of the rooms to prove I did something :D

Every other day, easy-going Jonny Junior turns into his cruel, selfish alter-ego Donny, who is loud, rude, and aggressive to everybody around him. The relationship with his girlfriend is at breaking point, and pretty soon he stands to lose all his friends and family after an embarrassing episode at a party.

Out of the blue, Jonny is approached by an eccentric psychiatrist, who may have a solution to Jonny's problem...

vertigoaddict

These screenshots look awesome guys!  :D

I'm very excited for this month's entries, keep up the good work!

Radiant

Well, I was thinking about expanding One Room One Cheese to include multiple levels, a few extra objects, and an endgame boss (i.e. the evil twin). The game was written for the last OROW, which means that all development took place in the month of august.

Would people be okay with submitting a game for both OROW and MAGS, or would this be considered cheesy?

Ponch

Quote from: Radiant on Sun 21/08/2011 16:14:59
Would people be okay with submitting a game for both OROW and MAGS, or would this be considered cheesy?

They'd better be. Because that's what I'm doing.  :=

Atelier

I approve. The more the merrier, as they say in Sherwood Forest.

Atelier

Ok five days people. I've officially folded but it was a nice start at least. What about everybody else?

Ponch

I'm still trying my very best. We'll see if I make the deadline or not.  :-\

Duzz

I'm on track, although it's hard to stay focused when deus ex is there waiting to be played :/

Duzz

Done!

I present to you :

- The Unicated -

Join twins Bo and Mal as they struggle to escape being torn apart by a society that shuns the wicked and innocent alike.  LOL!!

Download page

I'll post in the completed games forum too...

Others still entering??

Monsieur OUXX

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk