Oceanspirit Dennis: Archipelago Adventures 1

Started by Ponch, Sun 25/09/2011 23:46:38

Previous topic - Next topic

Ponch

HOORAY! IT'S OCEANSPIRIT DENNIS

That's right! There's a new Oceanspirit Dennis in town, and it's awesome! How awesome you ask? Why it's the most awesome game to hit these forums since the forums went down! (It's also the only game to hit the forums between then and now, but why quibble?)

Oceanspirit Dennis: Archipelago Adventures! is everything you could hope to have in an OSD game -- and considering how low that bar is set, it was an easy goal to achieve!

This game allows you to explore an uncharted area of the mysterious and secret Eighth Sea. Along the way, you'll complete quests, upgrade your ship, explore dangerous islands, and do lots and lots of fighting with monsters and other pirates on the high seas. Learn new spells! Buy better weapons! Suffer incredible casualty rates! Buy booze by the barrel! All in the name of adventure!

* Ten islands to explore.
* Five types of sea monsters to fight.
* Seventeen kinds of ships to battle.
* Eight spells to learn.
* Four weapons to arm your mateys with.
* Eight different potions.
* A stylish man purse to carry stuff around in.
* Plus more!

Giant monsters, sunken ships, zombies, smugglers, deep sea simians, burning hot lava, and a crazed World War One balloonist with hand grenades! This game has it all.

So what are you waiting for? DOWNLOAD THE GAME and begin your pirate adventure!

=========================
UPDATE 1: BUG FOUND!
Cow seen shaking fist at legion of play testers!

A bug has been reported. During the battle with Knottybeard, it is possible for the game to become stuck in an unwinnable state. Please download and apply THIS PATCH to solve the problem.

UPDATE 2: BUG FIXED!
People throughout the land celebrate and spontaneously break into intricately choreographed dance numbers!

A new version of the game has been uploaded. If your copy does not contain a text file identifying it as version 1.1 (or greater), then you need the patch. Otherwise, your version is the fixed version, so don't bother with the patch.

UPDATE 3: NOW WITH MORE SOURCE CODE THAN BEFORE!

Source It Up Here!

Frodo

Ponch

Quote from: Frodo on Mon 26/09/2011 00:06:21
YAY!  You released it!   :=

Yep! And it only took a year for me to do it!  :=

Icey

Gilbert

Quote from: Ponch on Mon 26/09/2011 00:11:42
Yep! And it only took a year for me to do it!  :=

An OSD game that costs that long to develop is a piece of worthless shi... shinobian syuriken!  >:(

OSD games ought to be quickly assembled to be awesome... unless... the time was spent in making the game more racis... sexy. ;D

Ponch

Quote from: Iceboty V7000a on Mon 26/09/2011 08:48:54
An OSD game that costs that long to develop is a piece of worthless shi... shinobian syuriken!  >:(

OSD games ought to be quickly assembled to be awesome... unless... the time was spent in making the game more racis... sexy. ;D

Perhaps. Or perhaps this is a new paradigm in OSD design. And I assure you this game is incredibly sexy. It has Oceanspirit Dennis, for pity's sake! Is there anyone sexier than him?  :=

WHAM

Ha! Residential Green is mentioned! Ha!
Now I have to download and try this out, will be my first OSD game ever!
Wrongthinker and anticitizen one. Pending removal to memory hole. | WHAMGAMES proudly presents: The Night Falls, a community roleplaying game

Ponch

Quote from: WHAM on Mon 26/09/2011 16:39:00
Ha! Residential Green is mentioned! Ha!
Now I have to download and try this out, will be my first OSD game ever!

Baby, it will blow your mind!  :D

gameboy

Shweet! Downloading. Is New character also present in the game?

Ponch

Quote from: gameboy on Mon 26/09/2011 18:10:40
Shweet! Downloading. Is New character also present in the game?

Which new character? There are tons of people in this game, some from previous OSD games, some created just for this story, and one who I stole from Baron's avatar!  :D

Wonkyth

If I'm downloading it just now, do I need the patch as well, or does a pirate come with his own?
"But with a ninja on your face, you live longer!"

Icey

I just noticed what you mean by "new character". If you talking about the "new character" that showed before then no or if you mean a character actually called "new character" then I really don't know.

Chicky

Lovely :D 'That's a little joke i like to play with new people'

I has PC now so i can actually play some AGS games.

Ponch

Quote from: Wonkyth on Tue 27/09/2011 09:30:59
If I'm downloading it just now, do I need the patch as well, or does a pirate come with his own?

If your copy of the game has a text file identifying it as version 1.1, you do not need the patch.

And thank you, Chicky. I hope you like the game.  :D

Ghost

In my download people do can-can. Are they supposed to do that? I also find the spontaneous explosion of pirate cheerleader Salty "Somersault" Sandra a BIT disturbing.

No, hey... sweet game!

Ponch

Quote from: Ghost on Fri 30/09/2011 01:07:14
In my download people do can-can. Are they supposed to do that? I also find the spontaneous explosion of pirate cheerleader Salty "Somersault" Sandra a BIT disturbing.

No, hey... sweet game!

I wasn't aware any of those things were in the game. But, hell, I worked on it for over a year. I can't remember what I put in there and what players might hallucinate because they've been sniffing glue or something. ;)

I'm glad you like the game.

Wonkyth

I got stuck in an infinite loop of lose. :(
"But with a ninja on your face, you live longer!"

Monsieur OUXX

Quote from: Ponch on Fri 30/09/2011 03:11:36
Quote from: Ghost on Fri 30/09/2011 01:07:14

I wasn't aware any of those things were in the game.

No, but they SHOULD.

Ponch

Quote from: Wonkyth on Fri 30/09/2011 10:45:10
I got stuck in an infinite loop of lose. :(

Wonkyth: Don't give up hope. This game was designed to be old school hard. Super Nintendo hard!

Here's a winning formula to winning the early part of the game.
Spoiler
1) As soon as you begin, sail to town and take the job in the supply store. Go fight the smugglers under the docks. Kill the henchmen first, an don't cast any spells except Heal. Once it's down to just you and Richard Pegg, keep hitting him with the sword and casting heal. Eventually you'll wear him down and win.
2) Turn the quest in, buy a crate of swords, go buy a map to the Razor Reefs from Heavenwhiskers Fred.
3) Sail to the reefs and explore the islands, starting with the one on the right hand side, then the middle one, and save the one on the left until last. Once that's all done, head back to town.
4) Take the new quest at the supply store and sail to Smuggler's Isle... where more adventuring awaits.
5) Use your captain's log frequently. Before setting sail anywhere, save the game. Before dropping anchor and sending a party to explore an island, save the game. Before doing anything, really, save the game. ;)
[close]
That should get you started. The trick in the early game is to stay in the waters close to town. There are a lot of juicy merchant ships out there, but there are also a bunch of pirates -- all of whom are better equipped than you are at this stage of the game. So stick to the quests offered and avoid sailing around randomly for most of this chapter.

In fact, it's really not safe to prowl the seas until the later parts of this game. (You'll know you're ready when you've found the magical 3-speed oscillating table fan). And patrolling the hex you are in at sea is ALWAYS safer than sailing into a new one. If you spot a pirate ship while patrolling, you have the option of whether or not to fight it. But if you encounter one while entering a new hex, then they will attack you. (Storms are also safer while patrolling, as you have more time to prepare since you see them coming.)

Anyhoo, I hope that helps you out.

Monsieur OUXX: True. But I can't stick every fever dream Ghost has while sniffing glue in the game. He has far too many! I'd never have time to work on the next chapter of this game. ;)

Ghost: Neats!  :D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk