The Visitor

Started by NickyNyce, Mon 31/10/2011 13:17:33

Previous topic - Next topic

NickyNyce

The Visitor has arrived

Hope you enjoy playing as much as I enjoyed making it!

Our journey begins in New York City along the East River. Poor Danny boy has been left with his abusive brother and crazy dad after his parents had a bitter split. Danny must complete his chores before his brother Jimmy gets home and beats him to a pulp. During Danny's daily chores, he hears a loud explosion that rattles the house. Can you help Danny finish his chores before the beating begins? Can you help Danny figure out what the strange explosion was behind the house?

Little does Danny know, a small pod has crash landed in his garage. An extraterrestrial being is stranded on Earth and needs to find a way to get back home. Can you help the Visitor phone home before the humans find him? Can the Visitor somehow change Danny's life for the better?

Meet Danny and his best friend Mighty, his Brother Jimmy and his viscious cat Scrappy!
There's also the nutty neighbor Mrs. Williams running around in her bath robe.

*Play as both Danny and the Visitor*

Explore a small house and escape a UFO that's falling apart over New York. Over 120 sounds. Animating look and interact icons to go along with the Hotspot GUI. 60 inventory items, tons of views, hours of game play. All backgrounds and art were drawn with MS paint except for some very minor rips. lots of animations to keep the eyeballs happy this Halloween. And lets not forget the loads of puzzles to solve. 640x400 resolution, 16bit high colour.

***If you manage to find a way to prank your brother during your chores, you will recieve a special cutscene at the end of the game***

Murder a human in two disgusting ways for Halloween enjoyment. Thank you again to everyone in the forums that gave inspiration, ideas, RTFM posts and all that good stuff.

Special thanks go out to my testers. All of you helped make this game much better than it was. I thank you.

Save Agent Moss here  (O_O)   ------->     http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/games.php?action=search&sterm=the+visitor&submit=Search%21     

Alarconte

yeha!! downloading, I will edit later with my first thoughts!
"Tiny pixelated boobies are the heart and soul of Castlevania"

Galactic Battlefare Capital Choice Part 1 , finished, releasing soon
GBF CC Part 2, WIP

Tenacious Stu

Graphics look awesome! I'm downloading now. I can't wait to play it. Going to give it a go tomorrow.

Congratulations on releasing 'The Visitor!'  ;D

m0ds

A very fun game, classic adventuring and a nice story set in New York. Well done with your first game NickyNyce! Definitely one to be proud of! I applaud your art, animations and attention to detail.

Tabata

COOL - you managed the crash landing to happen on halloween!

Congratulation - I know, that you put a really lot of intense work in this first game of yours and it is to be seen!
Well done - something to be proud of!!   

Let's go and play with/an alien to have fun on halloween!

arj0n

NickyNyce

Thank you kind AGS souls. And thank you to all my testers, you guys have really helped polish out the wrinkles and have made this release fun for me.

If this game was not already complete Tabata, I would be pleading to put your UFO in the game.  :o

Ghost

Congrats, good to see this one "going down"! In a good way, of course  ;)

HandsFree

Just finished it. I like the old school adventure style where everything turns out more complex than it seems. A very solid game, and quite long too (didn't time it, but it must have been over 3 hours).
That must have been a lot of work. Well done!

nihilyst

Playing it at the time, and it's great so far. Lots of rooms to explore, I think I'll get stuck easily ;D

But I've encountered a bug: The music volume slider doesn't work.

m0ds

That's it. I think your 45 min estimate was way off the mark, Nicky. But it's great you actually made your first game a FULL game. [FULL] [] [] [] [] [HD] game, I hasten to add  :=

NickyNyce

Quote from: HandsFree on Sat 05/11/2011 00:32:27
A very solid game, and quite long too (didn't time it, but it must have been over 3 hours).
That must have been a lot of work. Well done!

I'm really glad you liked it HandsFree. It took me about 6 months to make. If you follow a walkthrough, the game is about 40 minutes long.

@nihilyst ... I used the default template, I actually never tried the volume slider. I assumed this took care of itself. Good to know, thanks.

Hope everyone has some fun with it.

Romeo

I'm really enjoying playing this nice game. It reminds me of the first Lucasfilm adventures, especially Zak Mc Kracken. The puzzles are good and logical.
Thank you for releasing it.

sthomannch

Shadow1000

I just finished the game.

In all, the game is EXCELLENT:

- The puzzles were logical (see below)
- The game is extremely funny and entertaining.
- Very unique system (I've seen it only once or twice before) where the same environment is visited in the same game by the player playing more than one character. It's a very cool effect to see the same, familiar environment from a different perspective!
- Graphics were smooth and highly appropriate for the game.

Areas I'd say that could be improved:

- I found the beginning to be very difficult. I have to confess that I almost stopped playing and was considering deleting the game (glad I didn't!) in the first scene because I was that stuck. It took over an hour WITH the hints on the forum to get past it. I would advise that in the future, give the player more satisfaction of achieving at least a few easier puzzles before hitting him/her with a difficult puzzle.

That said, I only needed a total of one post on the forum to complete the game so it wasn't THAT unreasonably difficult.

- For the length of the game, the plot is a bit short. There's not enough "story" to justify the amount of gameplay. In other words, there's too much of "do this so you can do that" without enough story unfolding.

I know I'm picking but only because if I didn't, there would be nothing to improve! I reiterate that the game itself was very entertaining and I'm amazed at the quality for a first game. You have a lot to be proud of, Nicky!

Kudos

SHADOW

NickyNyce

Hey Shadow1000, Romeo and sthomannch,

Thanks for playing the Visitor, and thanks for your evaluation of the game.

@Shadow1000...Your right on the money with the negatives. Your NOT nit picking.... All the things you mentioned are true. I did spread the game a bit thin in the early stages. My testers mentioned the same thing. It's always nice to hear the good things, but I really appreciate hearing the good, bad and the ugly too. I do plan on making something else, so this stuff really helps.

This is my first game, and I'm thrilled that you had fun with it. I have been an adventure fan for 25 years...lets just say it's easier to play them, then to make one. Especially by yourself.

Once again, my testers deserve a ton of credit. They helped polish this game up for you guys to enjoy it. It has been a blast learning AGS, making this game, and hearing peoples thoughts on it.

Thank you for playing, and letting me know your thoughts. That's all I have left  :'(

NickyNyce

Romeo

Hey NickyNyce: you forgot to delete the debug mode lines (ctrl-x) in the script!!!

gameboy

Just started playing this and so far it looks awesome! Pretty high quality stuff for a first game.  And I love the clean graphics style!

miguel

Finally finished The Visitor!

I left a comment on the database, but still want to say that the author can become a serious game maker if he wants to, or time allows him to.
The core of the game is very good, the balance between graphics, story and characters was achieved and you feel rewarded by finishing the game.

Thanks for The Visitor, Nicky, and keep on doing games!
Working on a RON game!!!!!

NickyNyce

Thank you miguel, that's a very nice complement. I'm really happy you enjoyed it and my mind is already thinking of what to do next.

@gameboy... You are too kind. I'm a fan of yours, very nice stuff. Thanks again for letting me put your boat in the game  ;)  It's a lot smaller, but it still looks like it  ;)

If you don't mind some sick humor, don't forget to prank your brother Jimmy.

But I think it fits

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk