Author Topic: AGS engine Mac OS X port  (Read 48989 times)

Re: AGS engine Mac OS X port
« Reply #140 on: 26 Oct 2018, 23:46 »
It doesn't look like the libraries build now:
Add spoiler tag for Hidden:
Quote from: make install
~/Build/ags-osx-nick/OSX/buildlibs/build/allegro-4.4.2/build ~/Build/ags-osx-nick/OSX/buildlibs/build/allegro-4.4.2
- The C compiler identification is AppleClang 10.0.0.10001145
- The CXX compiler identification is unknown
- Check for working C compiler: /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Toolchains/XcodeDefault.xctoolchain/usr/bin/clang
- Check for working C compiler: /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Toolchains/XcodeDefault.xctoolchain/usr/bin/clang - broken
CMake Error at /opt/pkg/share/cmake-3.12/Modules/CMakeTestCCompiler.cmake:52 (message):
  The C compiler

"/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Toolchains/XcodeDefault.xctoolchain/usr/bin/clang"

is not able to compile a simple test program.

It fails with the following output:

Change Dir: /Users/mwillcock/Build/ags-osx-nick/OSX/buildlibs/build/allegro-4.4.2/build/CMakeFiles/CMakeTmp

Run Build Command:"/usr/bin/xcodebuild" "-project" "CMAKE_TRY_COMPILE.xcodeproj" "build" "-target" "cmTC_c3c50" "-configuration" "Debug"
    Prepare build
    note: Using legacy build system

=== BUILD TARGET cmTC_c3c50 OF PROJECT CMAKE_TRY_COMPILE WITH CONFIGURATION Debug ===

Check dependencies
    error: The i386 architecture is deprecated. You should update your ARCHS build setting to remove the i386 architecture.

** BUILD FAILED **

The following build commands failed:
       Check dependencies
    (1 failure)

CMake will not be able to correctly generate this project.
Presumably the cmake config for Allegro needs to be updated, but this branch is downloading libraries from AWS?

« Reply #141 on: 30 Nov 2018, 04:45 »
Just to confirm - today I successfully compiled the buildlibs from the latest osx-nick branch without problems. Are you running Xcode 10? I suspect it's a clang10 issue.

I'm running 10.13.5 and compiling with clang9 on Xcode 9.3 without problems.

« Reply #142 on: 30 Nov 2018, 10:30 »
I did build them by switching from Xcode 10 to 9, and was looking at updating everything for Xcode 10. I think to make it work the minimum OS version needs to be raised to 10.9 though, as well as removing the 32 bit builds. I don't know what Apple developers normally do to keep the greatest level of compatibility, maybe 10.9 is the new baseline for everything.

« Reply #143 on: 30 Nov 2018, 21:57 »
Yeah I know that the 32/64 bit issue for the buildlibs was going to become a problem at some point. Looks like Xcode10 is the first to enforce 64-bit only. Glad you got it figured out.

« Reply #144 on: 30 Nov 2018, 23:40 »
It's still a bit of a mess, but I got a working build of a game project (not a real game) running on OS X High Sierra with Steam achievements.

I cloned Janet's osx-nick branch and reused the WEG Xcode workspace files (and the Shivah project files). I tried to figure out how to embed a binary version of AGSteam into the app, but I kept getting an error that the library didn't exist in the final executable. So instead I followed the approach that was already partially implemented by WEG (judging by the project files and the lack of an existing port of AGSteam to Mac), and built the AGSteam source directly as part of the project files. Took a bit of knackering about as I've never used Xcode (or even OS X) before, but it definitely is working.

I will try to make a more detailed post of what I did after I try to abstract it out of the WEG files. ;)

Just want to pass along word that I figured out how to build AGSteam as a dynamic library in Xcode, and link it to my AGS project... just as monkey0506 did. I'll be posting instructions here soon, for anyone interested.