Error: wrong script module count; cannot restore game

Started by gaiasgrace, Tue 20/12/2011 22:32:54

Previous topic - Next topic

gaiasgrace

Hi, tried a search and no luck for this error.

I'm playing Gemini Rue on Steam. I launched to play it today and Steam started an update. Once the update was finished, I launched the game and proceeded to load my latest save. The game crashes and I get this error image (image below).
None of my saves work. I can launch a new game though.
Help! I'm not OK to have to play through it again as I was probably over half way through.

Khris

Looks like the update is too big a change. It's not really an error, just an unfortunate side effect.
Afaik, the update was mostly about getting Gemini Rue to run on PC's that wouldn't; if the game ran fine for you, try contacting wadjeteyegames / DaveGilbert about how to undo the update.
I'm pretty sure they can provide you with the older exe so you can continue using your savegames.

monkey0506

Hey, that's my fault! :=

Just to confirm, the update to Gemini Rue was to fix the issue for users who needed to use Direct3D 9 but couldn't (because the Snow/Rain plugin doesn't support it). Dave has said that this was something he was concerned about, but like Khris said, he should be able to fix you up with the version of the game that depends on the plugin.

He wanted to make the update optional, but he was advised by his contact at Valve that their systems don't currently support that.

Sorry to anyone (from both me, as the author of the offending module, and on behalf of Wadjet Eye Games, coz Dave was concerned about this coming up) negatively impacted by this, but it was preventing quite a few people from even running the game.

On a semi-related note, to any developers who were using or looking at the Snow/Rain plugin, I haven't completely emulated the plugin, but I'm more than willing to help you out if needed. ;)

gaiasgrace

Thanks for the advise.
I've contacted admin at Wadjet Eye Games about the issue and pointed them to this thread.

On a positive note, I wasn't aware of AGS, and as someone who's interested in making games myself, I will be having a good look at it now. So in a way thanks for the error!

Dave Gilbert

I take responsibility, Monkey_05_06.  I'm the one who asked you to make the update. :)

So sorry about this.  The no-transfer-savegames-between-versions thing is an AGS issue and a bit beyond our control.  Since Steam auto-updates everthing, there's no way to selectively choose who gets the update and who doesn't.  If you (or anyone else) is having this issue, email me and I can help you.

Calin Leafshade

That snow/rain plugin is a liability.

There is an open source version made by JJS which is feature-identical to the original which could be adapted to work in both D3D and DD mode.

monkey0506

You're right Calin, I'd completely forgotten about JJS' version...the fact that it's open-source could indeed have made things simpler. As for Gemini Rue, the decision Dave and I reached was that an AGScript-native module would provide better opportunity for portability, which is why I went that route instead of writing another plugin.

In any case, the current Steam version doesn't use the plugin at all, so liability averted. ;)

Calin Leafshade

This idea that plugins are not portable is silly. Plugins are perfectly portable, they just have to be recompiled.

Although i do concede that AGS-native is *easier* to port since you dont have to do anything ^_^

Yosharian

I also have this error, can I get this older executable or whatever it is so that I can load my savegame?

Yosharian

Quote from: Dave Gilbert on Sat 07/01/2012 21:57:15
Please see this thread: http://www.wadjeteyegames.com/forum/index.php?topic=1150.0

Yes, I ended up finding this myself yesterday after google found the steam forums.  It would be nice if there was a sticky for this issue in these forums but I realise they are not really for GR specifically.  Oh and btw I forgive you for this error because your game is so brilliant ^_^

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk