Barn Runner: The Rich Dame Who Cut The Cheese (Bake Sale) [NOW FREE!]

Started by Ponch, Sun 22/01/2012 01:14:22

Previous topic - Next topic

Ponch

Everybody else is doing it, so why the heck shouldn't I? Presenting my game for the AGS Bake Sale:

BARN RUNNER
The Rich Dame Who Cut The Cheese
One of these ladies is hiding something. Time for a pat down!

An antique wheel of priceless, pre-apocalypse, real moo cow cheese has gone missing and it's up to Detective Prick Peckard to find it! Along the way, he'll encounter stuffed shirts, plunging necklines, co-workers in fancy dresses, corrupt politicians, exotic Spanish accents, uncomfortable encounters in the mens's room, abandoned underwear, an AGS forum member masquerading as a lounge singer, gigantic TVs, cartoonishly over-sized breasts, crisp white linen, reflecting mirrors, overpriced cocktails, abundant whipped cream, and looping rooms!

All this and Oceanspirit Dennis too!

Good gravy, people! What on earth are you waiting for! Act now before it's too late!  :o

Get your copy at the AGS Bake Sale (while supplies last) FREE CHEESE FOR EVERYONE!

Frodo

I LOVE THIS GAME!!!   ;D ;D ;D

I love how Prick is running around trying to figure out who stole the cheese... and things are going on behind his back... literally!   :P

The mayor's long :BBBBBBBBUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUURRRRRRRRRRRRPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP' kinda made me giggle.   ;D

Melanie is a brilliant wee character.  I hope we'll get to see more of her in future Barn Runner games.  *hint hint*   :P

And of course, the lounge singer is an excellent addition.  I loved her and her band.   ;D

The scrolling room is amazing!  Ponch should be proud of himself, for that.  And reflections in mirrors in the batchroom are very impressive.  And Prick's wonderful shirts are back!   ;D

You have to get this game!  You have to get the whole bundle, and play this one first!  Who can't love Barn Runner?   :D

And btw Ponch... I want one of those tvs.   :=

Dualnames

I'm currently in the midst of this. Not yet finished.  ;)
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

Frodo

Quote from: Dualnames on Mon 23/01/2012 04:49:11
I'm currently in the midst of this. Not yet finished.  ;)

Do you know who stole the cheese yet?   ;)

tube

I finally found the time for a tasty little bite of the bake sale goodies, and just finished gobbling up this bit of pixel-pastry. As a Barn Runner fan I was certainly not disappointed. It's very late, but I can't get no sleep (to quote the classic), so a little review follows:

The game was shortish as could be expected, but neither the story or any other aspect of this production felt in any way rushed or unfinished. The mystery/detective setting is an interesting departure from the Barn Runner norm. Character graphics are well drawn and (intentionally) garishly coloured, the low-res backgrounds are simplistic but effective and the soundtrack consists of a selection of midi tracks. It's all nice and familiar to those who have played other entries in this long running series, and any fan of low-res adventure gaming is sure to find the style unique but easy to digest.

The story, taking place in the confines of a single, ritzy restaurant, is fresh and well paced. It manages to include a diverse mix of characters, every single one with their very own distinct personality and a clear place in the story. No shallow fillers or extras here: Hollywood, take notes please. Some familiar faces as well, with a few of the luscious femmes us fans of the franchise have grown to know and love sporting all new glamorous looks and costumes.

But the highlight of this game, just like all the other Barn Runners, is the wonderfully written, side-splittingly funny (and delightfully abundant) dialogue. I mean there's loads upon loads of it, which for some utterly mind-boggling reason some players seem to think is a bad thing. In fact, the first thing I did was to enable the "Naughty bits" and "Director's cut" in the options so I wouldn't miss a line of it. And then I made sure to talk to everyone about everything and show every single object to everyone, even when I knew exactly what I should be doing to advance the story.

If this was a real review, I'd do a bit about the story, but this isn't, so I wont. So there.

Summary: Great game made for a great cause. You might object to the sheer amount of dialogue if you're part of the ever-growing tl;dr crowd or your English isn't quite up to par, but even if you just click away and skim it all, you'll be sure to enjoy this quirky and somewhat naughty little retro sci-fi gem.

Ponch

Thanks for the great review, Tube.  I'm glad you liked the game. :D

tzachs

I found out who took the cheese!
Spoiler

and I feel betrayed!
[close]

So many interesting characters, small side stories always going on and things keep changing making this game feel very dynamic. Every time you think you're stuck something happens and you get a new lead.
As always, a very funny game.
Something that was missing in the game, is sexual innuendos, they were nowhere to be found...  ;)

Overall great job once again!

Ponch

Quote from: tzachs on Fri 09/03/2012 14:47:32
Something that was missing in the game, is sexual innuendos, they were nowhere to be found...  ;)

There's a button for that!  :=

And I'm glad you like the game, Tzachs. It wouldn't have been half as awesome if you hadn't fixed that pesky viewport problem for me.  :-*

cat

Great game! I did like the dialog and the event-triggered story progression. The endless scrolling rooms were cool.
It was nice that the dialog options changed depending on what persons I met and stuff I discovered. However, at the beginning this didn't work correctly - for example, I could ask the coat check bot (my favourite character btw) about the cheese before I even knew this was about cheese - except from the game's title.

I almost guessed who took the cheese
Spoiler
I thought it was the mayor
[close]

Hilarious characters, ridiculous story and lots of investigation - probably my favourite Barn Runner game so far.

Ponch

Someone digs up an old thread just to say nice things about my game?!

Thanks, cat!

I'm glad you liked the game. I put a ton of work into it for the time frame I had to work on it. (As you know all too well, the Bake Sale games were produced under shockingly tight deadlines). I'm already working on a slightly re-worked version to release in March, when the Bake Sale games return to the original producers to release for free. I'll be sure to fix Prick's ability to somehow see into the future.  ;)

Ponch

Frodo

Ponch

Quote from: Frodo on Wed 06/03/2013 16:02:18
Pssst... I stole the cheese.  It was very tasty.   :tongue:
Ah ha! So it was you! Prick Peckard will be dropping by your house shortly with an arrest warrant and a pair of handcuffs.  (wrong)

Stupot

The March edition of 'Following Freeware' is going to be a bumper issue with all these baked goods.

Frodo

But I was hungry.   :kiss:

Quote from: Ponch on Wed 06/03/2013 18:42:39
Quote from: Frodo on Wed 06/03/2013 16:02:18
Pssst... I stole the cheese.  It was very tasty.   :tongue:
Ah ha! So it was you! Prick Peckard will be dropping by your house shortly with an arrest warrant and a pair of handcuffs.  (wrong)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk