MAGS February: "Espionage" (CLOSED)

Started by Atelier, Thu 02/02/2012 14:52:44

Previous topic - Next topic

Atelier

Topic: 'Espionage'

Create a game revolving around the theme of espionage. This could include surveillance, under-cover work, secret missions, reconnaissance, spies, double agents, top-secret organisations, government coverups, diplomatic crises, revolutionary gadgets, etc.

Ideas to help you:

• A mole is discovered by the drug cartel they infiltrated.
• An agent is assigned to a mission they are strongly against.
• The past mistakes of an operative catch up with them many years later.
• A man is convinced he's being watched by the authorities.

Ending 29/2/12

What is MAGS?

MAGS is a monthly competition for all amateur adventure game makers. The idea is to create a game in under a month, following the rules set by the previous winner. It aims to help you work to a deadline, improve your skills, or provide a kick-start into making adventure games. Regardless of skill, MAGS is for everyone. Voting is based on "favorite" games, and not the most artistic, or the best coded. If you have bad art skills, use it as a chance to do some graphic work. If you're sub-standard at coding, use it as a chance to give scripting a go. Ultimately, people will vote for the most enjoyable entry.

You may get help for the competition, although you must end up doing something yourself. You should however be warned that it proves difficult to organize a big team within thirty days. You are not allowed to use material already created before this competition. Your game must be completely new! Music and sound is an exception; you can use free material that is available to the public, if you wish. Modules and templates are also allowed. Please do not enter the competition with a rushed entry (a game created last minute). Sure, you can make a game and rush it - but don't do this just to win by default.

Entering MAGS is simple. First, conceptualise your game following the month's criteria (see top). Second, create your game fueled only by coffee. Third, finally, and most importantly, post your game here, including:

✓ A working download link.
✓ The title of your game.
✓ A suitable screenshot.

At the end of the month, the all-important voting will begin! This period usually lasts fifteen days. Should you win, along with announcing the next month's rules, your name and game will be immortalised in the MAGS Archive. Yet hopefully, at the end of the month, the accomplishment of finishing a game will be your greatest prize. For more information please visit the Official MAGS website.

Icey

:D

WHAM

Wonderful theme! I've already got a few ideas in mind, so I might just try to participate after a long break (10 months? Really!?)
Will keep you guys posted once if / when I get into developement phase.

EDIT: Just had a "Eureka" moment! TO THE DRAWING BOARD!
EDIT 2: Five pages of text in the design document now! If anyone is up for some cutscene art (220x120 or larger still images, no style set yet), let me know! Also: if you are interested in making music for the game, let me know of that as well!
EDIT 3: CYBORG NINJAS!!1
Wrongthinker and anticitizen one. Pending removal to memory hole. | WHAMGAMES proudly presents: The Night Falls, a community roleplaying game

ddq

I definitely like the theme, but I doubt I'll be able to put forth a full game myself. Thus, I offer my (mostly useless) services free to a good home. If you need a coder or voice acting, hit my juice.

Armageddon

Radiant

Ha HAH! My spies told me that this would be the topic, three weeks ago!

Ghost

Quote from: WHAM on Fri 03/02/2012 07:02:45
EDIT 3: CYBORG NINJAS!!1
Whee!

Very cool theme this month, I am looking forward to some neat games!

Atelier

Ponch

Quote from: ddq on Fri 03/02/2012 07:32:26
I definitely like the theme, but I doubt I'll be able to put forth a full game myself. Thus, I offer my (mostly useless) services free to a good home. If you need a coder or voice acting, hit my juice.

Fantastic news! Thanks, ddq. If you could help me out, that would be great. Here's what I need: A game about espionage. And make sure it has sexy chicks in it.  And at a couple of spy gadgets used in interesting and innovative ways -- probably through some sort of mini-game interface. Don't be afraid to create a module from scratch if you need to.  And if you want to do some voice acting, that would be great too.

So that's it, I guess. Go ahead and code that up for me. And try to put a car chase or a kung fu fight in it too (a little action would really make this game a standout).

I look forward to putting my name on your project. You're the best!  :D

WHAM

Wheeee! Design doc is 8 pages long and I drew this mock-up to act as basis for further developement.

The game will be called: Big Blue World Domination

(Disclaimer: Button labels are placeholders, sorry if I got your hopes up!)
Wrongthinker and anticitizen one. Pending removal to memory hole. | WHAMGAMES proudly presents: The Night Falls, a community roleplaying game

Ponch

Brace yourself, Canada! Here comes the penis!   :=

Ryan Timothy B

Quote from: Ponch on Sat 04/02/2012 01:45:43
Hey.... Nobody respects Canada.  :'(

Ponch

Quote from: Ryan Timothy on Sat 04/02/2012 14:53:10
Quote from: Ponch on Sat 04/02/2012 01:45:43
Hey.... Nobody respects Canada.  :'(

Not true, Mr. Timothy. I'll have you know I am descended from fine Canadian stock on my father's side. Thanks to him, I have high resistance to cold, an appreciation for hockey, and all-round good manners. And that's why I penised Canada. If you have a penis button, you can't just go around penising every country. You should save that button for a country that you really like. Besides, we're next door neighbors. I prefer to think of it as friends with benefits.   8)

So don't feel blue, Ryan. I penis heart Canada.  :-*

WHAM

Here's another screenshot, the last one before release. This is a mock-up of an evil underground base of a supervillain.

Diath

Quote from: WHAM on Fri 03/02/2012 18:27:44
Wheeee! Design doc is 8 pages long and I drew this mock-up to act as basis for further developement.

Right when ! saw your picture upload I thought of the game shadow president

http://www.abandonia.com/games/579/ShadowPresident.htm

Someone make a shadow president like game NAAAOOWW!!!  ;D

Ghost

Quote from: WHAM on Sat 04/02/2012 18:49:29
Here's another screenshot, the last one before release.

Given your current speed, that would be... next Wednesday?  :o
No, seriously, this look very good.

I'm totally out of juice. The theme is intriguing, but I think I'll just sit here and cheer you on while you're busy making games for me to play.

Victor6

Quote from: WHAM on Sat 04/02/2012 18:49:29
Here's another screenshot, the last one before release. This is a mock-up of an evil underground base of a supervillain.

It's not under an 'inactive' volcano is it?

WHAM

Quote from: Victor6 on Sun 05/02/2012 01:00:32
It's not under an 'inactive' volcano is it?

It might be. Or possibly under a lake in the middle of a jungle, or floating in the sky suspended by giant stealth-balloons.

cat

Oh no, what happened to the penis?

WHAM

Quote from: cat on Mon 06/02/2012 11:10:53
Oh no, what happened to the penis?

The penis was removed as filthy and inappropriate for children. It is also my greatest pleasure to direct you all here: http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/yabb/index.php?topic=45339.0

-WHAM

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk