World Map.

Started by monkey0506, Tue 24/04/2012 18:51:53

Previous topic - Next topic

monkey0506

I was just toying around with Photoshop, and I came up with this:

It's like some type of semi-realistic world view. It's composed entirely out of Photoshop filters, the Brightness/Contrast tool, Hue/Saturation tool, and setting layer blend modes.

Given that I was just messing around, I kind of like what I managed to come up with, but I was wondering if anyone could point out something that could specifically be done better (especially bearing in mind how I came up with it). Meaning, is there any particular filter or tool that could improve on what I've done? Or anything else, including manual touch ups.

Interested to hear what you think of it.

Narushima

I don't know what you can do to improve it, but it looks very realistic !

There are too many moutainous regions, though. So maybe try to have less of those.

Mouth for war

I think it looks pretty good :) But maybe some grassy areas as well?
mass genocide is the most exhausting activity one can engage in, next to soccer

monkey0506

I was wondering how to deal with the "too many mountains" issue, but maybe I could look at that by actually using some of the other tools instead of just the filters. :D

Anian

It looks ok I guess, but also the filters give it a kind of a blurry feel, I don't really know what are mountains and what are forests, grass and desert areas...there's just not that much of a difference for me, I can tell where the beach is but that's about it.
Also (since I can't tell what are the mountains) on what scale is this supposed to be?

There's something to creating fantasy lands, but even in those geology usually works the same. Islands usually have a hill in the middle or a dominant mountain, since that's what islands are, mountains where the meadows are under the sea. Some sides may have cliffs and not sandy beaches. Also, maybe a river or two.
I don't want the world, I just want your half

Monsieur OUXX

Yes, hard to suggest an enhancement.
Maybe you could generate several tints of green on the islands, to simulate dense forest/fields/etc?
Or a tint of grey for rocky parts?
Or manage to have the width of the yellowy outline vary, to get an alternation of beaches and cliffs?

Ali

Try varying the tone of the sea. In satellite photos it is much darker where the ocean is deeper.

RodBill

Take a look at http://www.filterforge.com/

I recommend trying to achieve something similar to this: http://www.filterforge.com/filters/9450.html

I think that if you create more layer like depth of ocean, different types of landscape (Rocks, dunes, forests) it will look more natural.

monkey0506

Original:

Manually edited:

Tried to implement some of the suggestions. I think it looks far better after a bit of manual touch-up.

Narushima

It does look better, but the water depth is too regular. It doesn't always slope back up nicely towards the land, something there is just a sheer drop from a cliff.

Monsieur OUXX

Quote from: Narushima on Fri 27/04/2012 00:57:15
It doesn't always slope back up nicely towards the land, something there is just a sheer drop from a cliff.

I was going to write that. Make the transition between shallow water and high sea sharper, that's usually how it is.
and you can pick a much darker "high sea" tint.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk