jAGS (The project)

Started by Deu2000, Mon 04/06/2012 14:53:42

Previous topic - Next topic

Deu2000

jAGS
THE PROJECT

First I thought about AGS on java mobiles. I obviously rejected the idea.

But, Java stayed in my head. And I had an idea.

Instead on making LOTS and LOTS of java ports, why don't make AGS games in portable executables? So I thought about Java.

So, waht do you think?

BigMc

I don't understand most of your post. Do you want to create an AGS engine in Java? I also don't understand the CON.

Deu2000

1st: I am from spain, so please do not blame on my english

2nd: what I plan to do is to program a set of classes so a program in jags would be like this:

Code: "jAGS"

import jags.native.*;
import java.lang.*;

class MainClass extends jAgsGame {
     public void Main(String args[]) {
          game_start();
          //...
     }
}

BigMc

So, you want to create a new Adventure engine (or one that is based on AGS) where the game logic is programmed in Java?

Deu2000

BigMc

I don't see how AGS code could help with this. It's basically a completely new and different engine. You can look at AGS for ideas, but then you can as well look at all other open source engines.

Deu2000

No! What I was trying to say is making an identical copy of ags, but changing it tn java

BigMc

I'm not sure, maybe it's a good idea, maybe not. Did you already have a close look at the AGS sources?

Deu2000

BigMc

I would always first look at the sources, then decide whether or not to base a new project on them.

timofonic

Quote from: BigMc on Mon 04/06/2012 22:08:51
I would always first look at the sources, then decide whether or not to base a new project on them.

Indeed.

Also I see Deu2000 present a project he wants to do about reimplementing the AGS engine runtime to Java. That's good, but it's nonsense he didn't look at the AGS sources to understand how the runtime works first.

Maybe you should analyze how AGS works first, then document it and finally reimplement it? You can go the fuzzie's way too (looking at the original messy code, then reimplement it), it's how extreme geeks do the things. ;)

But you can't reuse any part of the original code at all, so it's like a complete rewrite.

Do you have the skills to start this project by yourself? Are you able to understand the AGS engine and document the runtime's behaviour? What do you think are the main benefits of this?

Maybe you aren't sure about the project benefits yourself, or you want others to follow you on it. Unfortunately that doesn't work, you must believe in your own project and start the challenge yourself first while asking others to help you.

PS: I'm from Spain too. And despite my English needs lots of improvements, it's better than yours. You should improve it if you want to collabore with other people :)

monkey0506

Quote from: timofonic on Wed 06/06/2012 06:05:28That's good, but it's nonsense he didn't look at the AGS sources to understand how the runtime works first.

Right. As opposed to all the good you've done. You know, all that coding you've done to make AGS better. You know, all the hours you've devoted to actually contributing to the AGS community. Oh, wait...

Monsieur OUXX

To stay on topic :
Deu2000, I don't think you realize the amount of work "translating" AGS into Java represents.

I guess it wouldn't be too hard (and when I say "not too hard", it would still be extremely time-consuming) to "translate" the Editor from C# to Java, because the languages are rather similar in syntax and classes. And possibly simply wrap the most intricate/low level C++ stuff.

But what about the Engine? I guess that's the part you're interested in. Translating from old-school C into Java, especially if the code relies on old libraries and includes a lot of low-level tricks... Well I don't think it's really feasible -- unless you're a 55-years-old Russian programer who also produces code for a nuclear power plant and/or a rockets factory and/or Jurassic Park.

Clarvalon

One approach might be to provide an interface for the AGS engine for the scripts to hook into, de-coupling them completely.  This will leave you free to re-implement the engine in Java or whatever language you fancy.  That's how AGS conversions are handled in XAGE, which is (mostly) able to fully compile the AGS scripts into .NET dlls, though getting to that stage has been a little fiddly and required a handful of tricks to overcome the idiosyncrasies of the AGS scripting language.

XAGE - Cross-Platform Adventure Game Engine (alpha)

BigMc

Quote from: Monsieur OUXX on Wed 06/06/2012 23:31:55
I don't think it's really feasible -- unless you're a 55-years-old Russian programer who also produces code for a nuclear power plant and/or a rockets factory and/or Jurassic Park.

That's racist. I think a 55-years-old Spanish programmer who also produces code for a nuclear power plant and/or a rockets factory and/or Jurassic Park could also do it.

timofonic

Quote from: BigMc on Thu 07/06/2012 01:16:58
Quote from: Monsieur OUXX on Wed 06/06/2012 23:31:55
I don't think it's really feasible -- unless you're a 55-years-old Russian programer who also produces code for a nuclear power plant and/or a rockets factory and/or Jurassic Park.

That's racist. I think a 55-years-old Spanish programmer who also produces code for a nuclear power plant and/or a rockets factory and/or Jurassic Park could also do it.

You missed it...

There's no Jurassic Park, proper nuclear plant or rockets factory in Spain! All we have is tourism, parties and... beachs :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk