MAGS June: "In Soviet Russia..." (CLOSED)

Started by Atelier, Tue 05/06/2012 19:46:58

Previous topic - Next topic

Atelier

Topic: 'In Soviet Russia...'

This month's guidelines were set by Baron et al.:

Just as in the russian reversal jokes originated by Yakov Smirnoff, you need to take something that normally happens in an adventure game and make it function in reverse.  This can be taken to absurd levels, or just be a reversal of one element that is commonplace in the genre.  The game need not actually take place in Soviet Russia!

Ideas to help you:

• Instead of taking inventory items, inventory item takes YOU!
• The villain is actually a cool and downright decent fellow, while your hero is a loathsome and repelling character.
• Instead of the cursor moving the character, the character moves the cursor.
• Try doing the opposite of any number of adventure game clichés.

Ending 6/7/2012 (6th July, sorry for posting late again! I will break the habit next month fo sho)

What is MAGS?

MAGS is a monthly competition for all amateur adventure game makers. The idea is to create a game in under a month, following the rules set by the previous winner. It aims to help you work to a deadline, improve your skills, or provide a kick-start into making adventure games. Regardless of skill, MAGS is for everyone. Voting is based on "favorite" games, and not the most artistic, or the best coded. If you have bad art skills, use it as a chance to do some graphic work. If you're sub-standard at coding, use it as a chance to give scripting a go. Ultimately, people will vote for the most enjoyable entry.

You may get help for the competition, although you must end up doing something yourself. You should however be warned that it proves difficult to organize a big team within thirty days. You are not allowed to use material already created before this competition. Your game must be completely new! Music and sound is an exception; you can use free material that is available to the public, if you wish. Modules and templates are also allowed. Please do not enter the competition with a rushed entry (a game created last minute). Sure, you can make a game and rush it - but don't do this just to win by default.

Entering MAGS is simple. First, conceptualise your game following the month's criteria (see top). Second, create your game fueled only by coffee. Third, finally, and most importantly, post your game here, including:

âœ" A working download link.
âœ" The title of your game.
âœ" A suitable screenshot.

At the end of the month, the all-important voting will begin! This period usually lasts fifteen days. Should you win, along with announcing the next month's rules, your name and game will be immortalised in the MAGS Archive. Yet hopefully, at the end of the month, the accomplishment of finishing a game will be your greatest prize. For more information please visit the Official MAGS website.

Ponch

Hmmm. I may or may not have a tiny idea for this theme. I'm not even sure if it fits the theme entirely, but I'll give it a shot.

Ghost

Nobody wants Proto to get a key no-one needs from a chest locked with the key that is now inside it. At his disposal is an interface that uses him, dialog options that talk ABOUT him, and puzzles that SOLVE him.

Gee, this may actually see the light of day!

TomatoesInTheHead

I'm not going to enter due to lack of time, talent and tales to tell, but I want to share these walk and talk animations I once did for a game that would have nicely fit this month's theme:

[imgzoom]http://home.arcor.de/tith-ags/FireStationWalk.gif[/imgzoom]
"blah, blablah bla!" [imgzoom]http://home.arcor.de/tith-ags/FireStationTalk.gif[/imgzoom]

The game would have had locations - here a fire station, if you can't tell - as characters, and characters as locations. Too bad I didn't have any storyline beside this concept, only randomized puzzles/items/NPCs/locations, so the game never saw the light of day.

But maybe it inspires someone to make something similar for this MAGS. In Soviet Russia, MAGS wins YOU!!

Ponch

Quote from: TomatoesInTheHead on Sat 09/06/2012 19:28:12
"blah, blablah bla!" [imgzoom]http://home.arcor.de/tith-ags/FireStationTalk.gif[/imgzoom]

Man, I'm having flashbacks to my childhood and Saturday mornings spent in front of the TV with the world of Sid and Marty Kroft.  (wtf)

You must make this game happen, Tomatoes. If only as a tech demo or something. It's the most perfectly suited MAGS themed idea I have ever seen.  (laugh)

Ghost

Quote from: TomatoesInTheHead on Sat 09/06/2012 19:28:12The game would have had locations - here a fire station, if you can't tell - as characters, and characters as locations...

The muffled *thud* you just heard was my jaw hitting the ground. That's such a cool idea! Are you absolutely sure you don't have time, I'd love to see this being made!

Ponch

HOLY COW, I FINISHED A MAGS GAME!  8-0

Puzzle of the Pulchritudinous Pumice

DOWNLOAD MY SILLY GAME

How to Play: Use your mouse to click on things in an attempt to solve the puzzle. Press Escape to skip the opening cutscene and the closing credits.

Thanks to Tzachs for providing some fine voice acting and for convincing me it was finally time to take a baby step away from AGS 2.72. Thanks also to Ben and Grundy for inspiring me to break out that Bamboo tablet and draw something with it. I miss 2.72 and can't wait to get back to my art pens, but it was nice to try something new.  (nod)

Also, I finished a MAGS game! w00t!  \o/

tzachs

Played it and finished it!
It was hard but well worth the effort, you sure know how to please a man..  ;)

I really liked this art style, you should make more games with the tablet, oh, but wait..
Quote from: Ponch on Sun 17/06/2012 20:33:16
I miss 2.72 and can't wait to get back to my art pens, but it was nice to try something new.  (nod)
Does that mean it was a one time fling?

Ponch

Quote from: tzachs on Tue 19/06/2012 22:10:14
Does that mean it was a one time fling?

I think that maybe once the Barn Runner series is finished (three games left!), then I'll make the leap to AGS 3.x. Who knows, by then maybe you guys will all be using AGS 4.2 or something, so I'll still have that warm, nostalgic feeling of using an old engine.  ;)

Anyhoo, glad you liked it. I hope there are some more entries. Nobody wants to win by default (except for Icey  := )

Icey

Hahaha very funny Ponch \:-)

Radiant

Quote from: Ponch on Wed 20/06/2012 03:41:25
I think that maybe once the Barn Runner series is finished (three games left!), then I'll make the leap to AGS 3.x. Who knows, by then maybe you guys will all be using AGS 4.2 or something, so I'll still have that warm, nostalgic feeling of using an old engine.  ;)

Go oldschool!

(I'm also still using 2.7 for everything, so there!)

selmiak

ohnoes,
Spoiler
I lost by winning... or something like that...
[close]

Ponch

Quote from: selmiak on Wed 20/06/2012 15:13:40
ohnoes,
Spoiler
I lost by winning... or something like that...
[close]

In Soviet Russia, losing IS winning. ;)

Atelier

Thanks Ponch :) Anybody else entering? There's still about two weeks left.

selmiak

someone should just submit an intentionally crappy and buggy game and state that in soviet russia games betatest you...

Ponch

Quote from: selmiak on Wed 27/06/2012 11:19:05
someone should just submit an intentionally crappy and buggy game and state that in soviet russia games betatest you...

Someone put up the Icey signal!  :wink:

Matti

Damn, I just noticed this fun mags theme. Maybe, just maybe, I can put something together.

Ghost

Extended to 6th? Gee, I think I can make it!

Also, Ponch, please stop making awesome little games! You're putting me to shame!

Cyrus

Quote from: TomatoesInTheHead on Sat 09/06/2012 19:28:12
I'm not going to enter due to lack of time, talent and tales to tell, but I want to share these walk and talk animations I once did for a game that would have nicely fit this month's theme:

[imgzoom]http://home.arcor.de/tith-ags/FireStationWalk.gif[/imgzoom]

The game would have had locations - here a fire station, if you can't tell - as characters, and characters as locations. Too bad I didn't have any storyline beside this concept, only randomized puzzles/items/NPCs/locations, so the game never saw the light of day.

But maybe it inspires someone to make something similar for this MAGS. In Soviet Russia, MAGS wins YOU!!

I agree, it's something that must get made!

Ponch

Quote from: Ghost on Thu 28/06/2012 13:55:30
Ponch, please stop making awesome little games! You're putting me to shame!

Nonsense! I expect nothing but gaming awesomeness from you, Ghost. And this MAGS is no different. So hop to it! That Proto game won't make itself.  :smiley:

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk