MAGS October: This is just bullshit!!! (CLOSED)

Started by Atelier, Fri 05/10/2012 20:57:57

Previous topic - Next topic

Atelier

Topic: 'Bullshit'

This month's guidelines were set by Cleanic:

Now that I have got your attention, here are the rules. Make a game where a character is lying/lies about something important (or about everything).

Ideas to help you:

• You lie to someone and you have to win their trust back.
• You're a spy and you have to make a captured person tell you something.
• You lie about something stupid but it ends up becoming huge.
• The main character is a politician.

Ending 5th November

What is MAGS?

MAGS is a monthly competition for all amateur adventure game makers. The idea is to create a game in under a month, following the rules set by the previous winner. It aims to help you work to a deadline, improve your skills, or provide a kick-start into making adventure games. Regardless of skill, MAGS is for everyone. Voting is based on "favorite" games, and not the most artistic, or the best coded. If you have bad art skills, use it as a chance to do some graphic work. If you're sub-standard at coding, use it as a chance to give scripting a go. Ultimately, people will vote for the most enjoyable entry.

You may get help for the competition, although you must end up doing something yourself. You should however be warned that it proves difficult to organize a big team within thirty days. You are not allowed to use material already created before this competition. Your game must be completely new! Music and sound is an exception; you can use free material that is available to the public, if you wish. Modules and templates are also allowed. Please do not enter the competition with a rushed entry (a game created last minute). Sure, you can make a game and rush it - but don't do this just to win by default.

Entering MAGS is simple. First, conceptualise your game following the month's criteria (see top). Second, create your game fueled only by coffee. Third, finally, and most importantly, post your game here, including:

âœ" A working download link.
âœ" The title of your game.
âœ" A suitable screenshot.

At the end of the month, the all-important voting will begin! This period usually lasts fifteen days. Should you win, along with announcing the next month's rules, your name and game will be immortalised in the MAGS Archive. Yet hopefully, at the end of the month, the accomplishment of finishing a game will be your greatest prize. For more information please visit the Official MAGS website.

ThreeOhFour

Had 3 days off work for the first time in forever and decided I'd enter (with some help from Grundislav).

Nearly done!

Atelier

Awesome Ben, what a great way to spend time off!

Anybody else thinking of entering?

Armageddon

It's beautiful and I'd probably pay for it, would look better if the clouds were more defined though.

selmiak

There I am in the middle of the month and I have an idea for a game for the theme. Anyone want to team up for everything, like fleshing out the story, making bgs+characters. Music would also be nice ;)

Atelier

Don't forget the deadline is the 5th Nov. So this is the sort of half-way reminder.

Radiant

I'm not considering joining this month.

Spoiler
Wait, that's bullshit. I do want to join, and have a great idea too, but I would need help from somebody to draw a few backgrounds (three in total). If there's somebody who can help, PM me and you'll earn eternal fame and glory! Pretty please?
[close]

ThreeOhFour

Perspicacity1

I've completed my very first MAGS entry! Well I finished the 'fairy tale' one too, but not on time. So, I've completed my very first on time MAGS entry!

The Truth of the Matter

Atelier

Thanks 304 and Perspicacity! Just waiting for Radiant who has a couple more days to do stuff before the deadline.

Also what- it's November already?! I didn't start the new month AGAIN!

To any mod reading: is it possible to turn on that feature where a thread gets posted at the date and time you enter? I've seen it on a few forums. Not sure if SMF supports that kind of thing, but it would help me a lot! And lots of other people too I imagine.

Radiant

Quote from: Atelier on Sat 03/11/2012 23:03:00
Just waiting for Radiant who has a couple more days to do stuff before the deadline.

Thanks. I'm almost done, too.

Radiant

Errand

Sara wants to go out and play in the sunshine, but she has a few errands to complete before she does that. Nothing special, just sweeping her room, feeding the dog, that sort of thing. What could possibly go wrong?
Featuring two different endings, epic soundtrack by Brassfire, and shiny artwork by Bit Priest, Gameboy, and Corby. Special kudos to Bit Priest, who stuck to drawing while his city was struck by the infamous Hurricane Sandy, and managed to complete quite a lot of art in spite of the force of nature!

Atelier

Thanks everybody. I'm glad it hasn't been a hat trick of zero entries!

For voting please visit the MAGS site or make your choice right here:

The Truth of the Matter by Perspicacity1
Spaceman in Space by ThreeOhFour
Errand by Radiant

Please vote only once and be sure to have played all games before sending your voice! Good luck to all participants.

Ghost

Great entries this time. I haveth casted my teh vote.

Atelier

There's a couple more days left to vote - a tie needs to be broken!

Ghost

Quote from: Atelier on Thu 15/11/2012 20:20:34
a tie needs to be broken!

Is it a sacred tie? Can we crash a wedding??

Seriously, guys, vote! We can't have a tie between three games!
Spoiler

The guys can't be all *that* good!!  (laugh)
[close]

Tabata

Wouldn't it be worth to become a headline in the forum?

PLAY + VOTE FOR THE NEWEST AGS-MAGS-GAMES

Frodo

Made my vote.   :smiley:

I found Spaceman In Space very funny, and loved all the spoken sound effects like 'Left Right Left Right', and 'Landing', etc.
But the imagination of the girl in Errand won it for me.  Transferring everyday objects into fantasy gadgets is wonderful.   :wink:

Atelier

We've now got a winner!

The Truth of the Matter by Perspicacity1
0 votes
Spaceman in Space by ThreeOhFour
7 votes
Errand by Radiant
16 votes

Congratulations Radiant, and thanks again to all three entrants!

ThreeOhFour

Well done!

Was fun to enter this one, and nice to see a few entries this time around.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk